SASS Wire Forum

New Colt Cobra

Rye Miles #13621

Nice .

Kinda looks like a Charter arms Bulldog :-)

I am curious to ask those of you who worship at the altar of Colt what you think of it. I looked at some Colt's back in the early 80's and chose a S&W instead, not just because of price, but to me the push button releasing the cylinder felt much more natural than pulling the release on the Colt. Aside from that, I imagine their product will be second to none, but I'm not sure can get past that. Is there some technique to using their cylinder release I should have been aware of?

I'm guessing it will be priced 3 times more than a Ruger or S&W.

Retail is $699.00, not bad and don't forget it's a 6 shot!!

It will be a Colt without anything that made Colt special.

It will be overpriced, under finished and desperately hoping the cachet of it's name distracts you with nostalgia.

Praying that you fail to realize that without hand fitting and deep blue polishing there is no longer any reason for its existence.

Retail is $699.00, not bad and don't forget it's a 6 shot!!

6-shot is why I carry a Model 10 instead of a J-Frame, not to mention far better trigger pull. I wonder how close to retail the Colts will actually sell for?

I'm guessing it will be priced 3 times more than a Ruger or S&W.

Suggested retail on a S&W m60 is $729, $30 more than the Colt, Ruger SP101 is $719, $20 more. Both are 5 shot.

I am curious to ask those of you who worship at the altar of Colt what you think of it. I looked at some Colt's back in the early 80's and chose a S&W instead, not just because of price, but to me the push button releasing the cylinder felt much more natural than pulling the release on the Colt. Aside from that, I imagine their product will be second to none, but I'm not sure can get past that. Is there some technique to using their cylinder release I should have been aware of?

I just catch it with my thumb and pull it back, not harder not easier just different.

It will be a Colt without anything that made Colt special.

It will be overpriced, under finished and desperately hoping the cachet of it's name distracts you with nostalgia.

Praying that you fail to realize that without hand fitting and deep blue polishing there is no longer any reason for its existence.

You just described most guns being made today, do you think Smith, Ruger or any one else makes a better gun for less money? We did it to ourselves we sacrificed fit and finish at the alter of price. The finely made guns of the 50's and 60's ( S&W, Colt) were out sold by the poorly finished guns of the 70's ( Ruger, rossi, charter arms).

My King Cobra has a very nice action, every bit as good as my M629, I hope that Colt does it right, I like my original Cobra better than my 642 .

I will reserve judgment until I see one...on a shelf...for sale...not a display.

I have always wanted a Colt Det. Special. But I love and have several S&Ws. John Henry's comment is valid for me but, man, I have always wanted a Colt.

I have learned not to get too excited about new gun releases. Take the Kimber K6S as an example. Another would be S&W "Classics".

I do hope the news on this gun is not bull...and I hope the reviews aren't either.

With regards to the Colt style pull to open vs the S&W style push to open.

I always preferred the Colt style pull. But then again, I shoot left handed. I find that just moving my trigger finger backwards and pulling on the latch as I go is easier than pulling it back to push it forward.

Once again, I saw that many "right handed guns" are actually easier for southpaws to use than the people they were designed for. :) (With certain limitations...)

What makes Colt Police Positive Special, Detective Special and Cobra desirable to me is their slightly smaller size than the S&W K-Frame, lighter weight and the smooth V Spring action. In addition the smaller grip frame fits shooters with smaller hands such as women better. After searching for many years we found a P.P.S. with a 4" barrel that is perfect for my wife.

I strongly suspect that the new Cobra will not have the V Spring action as it requires hand fitting of the parts. I am reserving judgment until they hit the store shelves but I am not expecting the wonderful smooth V Spring action.

huzzah to Colt and may a 3 and a 4 inch version come quickly. I despise fire sights on anything so it is good that it will be easy to trash that "feature". Price is sorta good but ye are paying for the name. Armscor makes a dick special for hundreds less and the LCRs are also much less. I suspect the street price will be closer to those competitors than the touted

$699

I'm going to buy one for sure so I'll let all you Colt haters know how it is! I've never had a Colt that I was dissapointed in except for a Colt Cowboy!! ;)

I've got a 50y/o Colt Detective Special bought it from a real detective when he retired. It has a packmire (?) grip adapter and the right grip panel has been replaced with a "Hip Gripper" remember those? I carried it as a back up when we were issued model 64s since our speed loaders fit both.

• Like 1

Rye....thanks for the update.....Jim....I did not realize we had Colt haters on here....I have a stew of pistols and still love the dreaded Glocks.....they live quite comfortably with the Colts, Smiths and others I pick up in my wanderings.....Jim

• Like 1

Rye....thanks for the update.....Jim....I did not realize we had Colt haters on here....I have a stew of pistols and still love the dreaded Glocks.....they live quite comfortably with the Colts, Smiths and others I pick up in my wanderings.....Jim

They're easy to spot - they wax their mustaches! :P

I love my colts.1911s ,22 mag nickel scouts. 22 peacemakers.I did trade a colt cobra 38 for a 410 s x s I wanted right here on the wire.

I have Colts, Rugers and Smith & Wessons. Folks have knocked the new models that come out.

Not hand fitted, the wood is to proud, the bluing is not very bright. You name it they complain about it.

Given the competive nature of today's gun market, expecting a gun manufactured to the specs of yesteryear, at a decent price is pretty unrealistic.

I think what really matters is that the guy that purchases the gun is happy with it.

• Like 2

Bought one new in 1968 at Warner's Hardware in downtown Mpls. Police discount. Cost was $85.00. Sold it a couple years later to my cousin when he came on the PD for $70. It got stolen from his car about a year after that. I was young and it was one of my life's mistakes. Loved that gun, it was an air weight.

I will stick with my Rugers.

They will take loads that will blow up Colts and S&W guns.

No, you can't :) Do you have one? I still have the original box and receipt and I think the papers that came in the box.

No. I have always wanted a Colt's Detective Special but I think this Cobra might cure that itch :)

I will have to get one in my hands and see how I like her. I may be S&W tainted now ;):D