SASS Wire Forum

New Year - Going to take a step back in time and dig out the SXS

Church Key, SASS # 33713

Been doing CAS for a while and switched to a 97 from a SXS over 10+ years ago. I'm going to try going back to a SXS for a change of pace. Wondering if anyone else is going to switch CAS items for the new year?

I used to shoot a set of 5.5" Vaqueros in .357. I did a weird switch to .45 Colt from shooting .38s. Now I have a New Vaquero 5.5" and and old model 7.5" Vaquero both in .45 Colt. I wasn't sure which I would like but I think I am going to go ahead and get me another 7.5" old model and use those as my primary match guns. Heck, I will never be real fast so I figure I might as well have fun.

I moved up to a Rossi 92 in .45 with a 24" barrel too.

And of course, I will be sticking with my SxS's. I have only used a 97 once in a match. Not sure what the attraction is...I don't care for 'em.

Edited by Pat Riot, SASS #13748

I shot my first match with .38 Rugers, a .38 Marlin and a Stoeger 20 gauge all in smokeless. That was OK but, when I saw Gunfighter, I switched right away to .45 Colt Rugers, a .45 Colt Big Boy and a 10 gauge 3-1/2" Magnum in Holy Black. Thousands of rounds later, I am happy as a pig in poop! :lol:

I also might try a single barrel trap gun some time for giggles. It tosses shells about 20'; will keep the TO hopping.

I used mine at our Nationals one year ..... lobbin' spent hulls into tha peanut gallery ...... on about the 9th stage of the event I finished shooting and the TO and I were showered with spent hulls FROM the peanut gallery ........ HUGE GRINS all round :D

(I considered it a great compliment :ph34r: )

wbj

This year I'm shooting one match dressed in matching b western with my wife so I'll have to shoot a Marlin again. Also I'm shooting one of our specialty shoots with my slow guns. A single shot 12, long barreled .45s and .45 schofield spencer

I am going from Rugers in 44 special .

To Remingtons 1858 Cap & Ball Pistols .

And from a SxS to a 87 shotgun .

And from a 92 to a 1860 Henry .

Should be some sort of learning curve :-)