SASS Wire Forum

I was explaining American New Year's celebrations to foreigner

In her country, midnight happens, families celebrate and then if they are near the city center they go out to a common meeting place and watch the fireworks.

I said in USA, there are big common meeting places where people gather before midnight and then celebrate together. Often at midnight, the men kiss the women and the women kiss the men, except in San Francisco where . . .

In her country, midnight happens, families celebrate and then if they are near the city center they go out to a common meeting place and watch the fireworks.

I said in USA, there are big common meeting places where people gather before midnight and then celebrate together. Often at midnight, the men kiss the women and the women kiss the men, except in San Francisco where . . .

Everyone shakes hands?

Howdy,

Ive just heard the fuss they make over times square.

It seems plain silly to me.

Two million people and NO facilities?

People cant leave due to security? Gross.

To watch a ball drop?

Why would a terrorist be interested when people do this

to themselves?

UGH.

Best

CR

They all drop trou and take a dump in the street?

Most of you know I'm in touch with my Scottish ancestry. In Scotland, New Year's is called "Hogmanay," which is a Gaelic word. Most Hogmanay celebrations are similar to ours, except that at midnight they practice "first footing." It means that after midnight, they go around visiting people, and the first person to cross their threshold (i.e. the first foot through the door) after midnight receives a gift from the homeowner.

Of course, real Scotch (which they just refer to as "whiskey," because Scotch is just whiskey made in Scotland) is key to all of this.

I thought that was just on Broke Back Mountain??.... :lol:

Got my self in trouble last year making a comment about Kalifornia.

So I better just leave this alone Myself :-)

We need to remember that our brothers and Sisters and the ?

Are stuck behind enemy lines in that Country.

So we need to say a Prayer for them .

Lord I pray for Kalifornia and its People to

Receive freedom from the Tyranny of their suppresional Government.

Amen .

Don't care who kisses who. I never go out on amateur night.

Most of you know I'm in touch with my Scottish ancestry. In Scotland, New Year's is called "Hogmanay," which is a Gaelic word. Most Hogmanay celebrations are similar to ours, except that at midnight they practice "first footing." It means that after midnight, they go around visiting people, and the first person to cross their threshold (i.e. the first foot through the door) after midnight receives a gift from the homeowner.

Of course, real Scotch (which they just refer to as "whiskey," because Scotch is just whiskey made in Scotland) is key to all of this.

The Scots spell whisky without the 'e' in it.

The Scots spell whisky without the 'e' in it.

But it's Usige in Gaelic. ;)

But it's Usige in Gaelic. ;)

Uisge is Gaelic for "water." Whisky (spelled the Scottish way as FR pointed out) is two words in Gaelic, the second of which is uisge. I don't remember the first one.

I've dabbled in learning Gaelic, but I've found it to be rather challenging. Madaìnn Bhath!

Uisge is Gaelic for "water." Whisky (spelled the Scottish way as FR pointed out) is two words in Gaelic, the second of which is uisge. I don't remember the first one.

I've dabbled in learning Gaelic, but I've found it to be rather challenging. Madaìnn Bhath!

Oh, and "uisge" is pronounced "ISH-ga."

Compliments of "the free dictionary"

[scottish Gaelic uisge beatha and Irish Gaelic uisce beatha, water of life, whiskey (translation of Medieval Latin aqua vītae) : Old Irish uisce, water; see wed-1 in the Appendix of Indo-European roots + Old Irish bethad, genitive of bethu, life; see gwei- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]