SASS Wire Forum

Where Have all the Cross-Draws Gone

Ninety Caliber Al, 50218

I started out in SASS in '06 using a cross-draw, added several more in different lengths and colors with different gunbelts, and am still using them.

I have only shot cd a few times when I used to shoot duelist.

A personal observation about cd is that some shooters obviously shoot at local ranges that are fairly slack about the 170 and the dance. These shooters come to a state or regional and do as they have done at home, only to receive warnings and penalties.

Local range need to enforce SASS rules to the written standards. These local ranges are not doing their shooters any favors by sending to larger matches with poor habits.

I shot cross draw duelist the first couple of matches because all I had were two strong side holsters. I quickly got tired of TO snapping at me "don't forget to turn", every time I drew my left pistol and every time I put it back.

Over the winter I had my leather made with three holsters but never used the cross draw because I started shooting double duelist then gunfighter.

The range master always includes the 170/cross draw lecture and demonstrates the cross draw dance at every safety meeting.

If you stand with cross draw holster side foot well forward of your strong side, you wouldn't need to dance. But some TOs want to see you wiggle your butt anyway.

Yes, I've see some cross draw holsters that are more nearly horizontal than vertical.

I started as a Duelist and shot crossdraw for years until I became a Gunfighter. 50# and some years later, I put on my crossdraw rig to shoot a Plainsman match - couldn't find my holster anymore due to the increase in my stability base :o

CR

Howdy; I wear the left handgun vertical butt forward, but draw with the left hand and roll it over into the right as the hands meet in the middle. Due to the lack of being common in the great white north I let the timer RO know what I am about to do as some have tried to call sweeping due to they did not see or understand what just happened. It works best with a Bisley grip.

Howdy; I wear the left handgun vertical butt forward, but draw with the left hand and roll it over into the right as the hands meet in the middle. Due to the lack of being common in the great white north I let the timer RO know what I am about to do as some have tried to call sweeping due to they did not see or understand what just happened. It works best with a Bisley grip.

You pull the left gun more or less straight up with left hand with butt forward and then take it from left hand with right hand? I'm guessing in the draw you are rotating the muzzle up pointed down range? Would be nice to see a video demonstration.

There are plenty of crossdraws out west and it rankles me that nothing is ever done about breaking the 170* or the 30* hang for that matter. The debate has raged for years with no real solution other than the "Cone" that was suggested some years back. That went down in flames but was a doable solution.

Even some of the best in the game break the 170* when holstering with the support hand. They are so fast most times that many don't see it but watch some videos, stopping it just before the muzzle goes in the holster. Almost invariably, the muzzle is pointed 10-15* in towards their belly since they gun is coming from an extended position.

I've grown tired of reminding folks and even telling the RO as, even when a warning is given, the shooters don't heed it for more than one stage or so. Unfortunately, we must suffer with the crossdraw curse if we want to play the game.

That all being said, I can see where the crossdraw has its advantages, especially for those with infirmities or a support hand that has a mind of its own. If you like the crossdraw, have some video taken during a normal match. Shoot the match normally and don't "act right" just because the camera is on. It can also help with speeding up the other transitions.

My 3 cents worth

When I started back in '03 lots of folks wore 'em.

Don't see 'em much at all any more....

Could be that many shooters are aging AND gaining a few pounds!

I've seen so many shooters having so much trouble reaching down over their gut just to buckle their belt, GOD help 'em if they had to reach any farther over and draw a pistol. :o

I shot cross draw duelist the first couple of matches because all I had were two strong side holsters. I quickly got tired of TO snapping at me "don't forget to turn", every time I drew my left pistol and every time I put it back.

Over the winter I had my leather made with three holsters but never used the cross draw because I started shooting double duelist then gunfighter.

The range master always includes the 170/cross draw lecture and demonstrates the cross draw dance at every safety meeting.

If you stand with cross draw holster side foot well forward of your strong side, you wouldn't need to dance. But some TOs want to see you wiggle your butt anyway.

Yes, I've see some cross draw holsters that are more nearly horizontal than vertical.

AS my previous post on this has mysteriously disappeared without explanation, I'll say here that I'm with Warden Callaway on this, that I started out using cross draws with a 7 1/2 " Blackhawk, and , after finding the stance described ( the foot on the side of the cross draw holster well ahead of the strong side , sort of a "Boxer's stance" or, for you past or current LEOs, an "Interview Stance ")

does NOT require any time consuming "dance" regardless of the level of ignorance of many a Range Officer who had not seen this obviously safe approach used. Not once had I been thanked by same after demonstrating that their call ( claiming 170 was broken, because the "dance" was not done ) was incorrect. There is nothing inherently unsafe about cross draw holsters, and for me, it was a great way to provide economy of motion when using a longer barreled sixgun from that holster.