SASS Wire Forum

Where Have all the Cross-Draws Gone

Ninety Caliber Al, 50218

I use one shooting duelist for classic cowboy(BEST CATEGORY EVER). I shoot 7 1/2 Rugers and that cross draw really helps me to draw my weak hand pistol. Everyone tells me to try double duelist, but I just plain ole like the cross draw! That and my left hand is stupid and does not know what it needs to do.. :)

Edited by Major Art Tillery

I too see a fewer Cross Draw's in use. I've used a Cross Draw rig for 25 yrs. I am in the process of recovering from hand surgery and when I am ready to make my "Comeback", I plan to attempt to use two Strong Side holsters... It will be a Major change for me after 25 yrs of choreographing my game to play to the Cross Draw style holsters, and re-training muscle memory is not going to be easy. for me. I have always stood sideways to the line in order to not have to do the "Twist", and always draw the Cross Draw first. This has allowed me to make a faster move to the Right... I'm already facing that direction, and putting the Cross Draw away with the off hand can easily be done on the move. However, for me it is a detriment on a Right to Left stage. I do believe that using two Strong Side holsters opens up more possibilities for the shooter. Many of the newer style Strong Side holsters make it easier to perform handgun transfers from one hand to the other. I encourage new shooters to start out with two Strong Side holsters. It goes a long way toward keeping the Cross Draw gun from breaking the 180.

JMHO

Snakebite

I too see a fewer Cross Draw's in use. I've used a Cross Draw rig for 25 yrs. I am in the process of recovering from hand surgery and when I am ready to make my "Comeback", I plan to attempt to use two Strong Side holsters... It will be a Major change for me after 25 yrs of choreographing my game to play to the Cross Draw style holsters, and re-training muscle memory is not going to be easy. for me. I have always stood sideways to the line in order to not have to do the "Twist", and always draw the Cross Draw first. This has allowed me to make a faster move to the Right... I'm already facing that direction, and putting the Cross Draw away with the off hand can easily be done on the move. However, for me it is a detriment on a Right to Left stage. I do believe that using two Strong Side holsters opens up more possibilities for the shooter. Many of the newer style Strong Side holsters make it easier to perform handgun transfers from one hand to the other. I encourage new shooters to start out with two Strong Side holsters. It goes a long way toward keeping the Cross Draw gun from breaking the 180.

JMHO

Snakebite

I switched about three years ago to double strong side. Made a BIG difference in my times!

I shoot duelist or senior duelist and use a cross draw. Quite a few up here use cross draw set ups. I use to shoot a 7 1/2 and the cross draw was a lot easier to draw from. Now I seldom shoot my 7 1/2's but I've gotten use to the cross draw.

I've been using a crossdraw since I started in 1996!!!! I'm going gunfighter though, (I think) I've been ...ugh...practisin' :P

I think Deuce is correct about it being a regional thing. Just like other things such as hats and clothing. I have only shot one match here in Oregon but I didn't see any crossdraws. I also noticed that almost everyone wore their gun holsters both strong and weak side toward the front and hardly anyone had a stampede string on there hats.

I've been using a crossdraw since I started in 1996!!!! I'm going gunfighter though, (I think) I've been ...ugh...practisin' :P

Gunfighter? That's great. Welcome to the club. Now if only we can get you back to the dark side because there's nothing better than FCGF

Gunfighter? That's great. Welcome to the club. Now if only we can get you back to the dark side because there's nothing better than FCGF

Yep ....for sure!

OMG.....Rye, a gunfighter?????? someone needs to evacuate Ohio...... :P:P :P :P

Nothing to worry about I'm just dry firing right now!! It's winter here!! :lol:

I am seeing less and less Cross Draws up here in Canada , and more Gunfighters ....

I think the peak of the Cross Draw usage up here was about 15 years ago ...

Happy New Year ...

Jabez Cowboy

I used to use a cross draw but switched when I went to double duelist and then gunfighter. I am seriously thinking of going back to a cross draw. My right wrist is screwy so I will be shooting 2 handed until it breaks all the way or I get it fixed. It feels weird to me to draw with my left, switch to my right and then back again for putting the gun back in it's holster.

Lots of cross draws in this part of the world. I shoot Classic Cowboy, shot cross draw for years, but went to double strongside/double duelist for Classic a year or so ago to lighten the load on my arthritis. Had to teach my left hand to get its act together. Still working on that part.

Most of the year I shoot FC gunfighter but in the winter I go back to shooting smokeless as a senior with a crossdraw holster. It takes me three to four matches before I stop touching my crossdraw with my left hand as I draw the pistol with my right hand. Around here, crossdraw's are quite prominent.

I have only shot cd a few times when I used to shoot duelist.

A personal observation about cd is that some shooters obviously shoot at local ranges that are fairly slack about the 170 and the dance. These shooters come to a state or regional and do as they have done at home, only to receive warnings and penalties.

Local range need to enforce SASS rules to the written standards. These local ranges are not doing their shooters any favors by sending to larger matches with poor habits.

• Like 1

Far as I'm concerned, most clubs I have shot at are way, way to lenient on the 30 degree rule. I see that rule broken at almost every shoot I attend. Doesn't seem to bother shoot management enough to enforce it. Easier to be Mr. nice guy, don't you know.

RBK

I prefer cross draw over handing guns back and forth under pressure.

I'm trying to shoot using either hand without the hand off - but after

45 or more years shooting right handed, and only shooting left handed

during training drills with square guns, I may just stay with this.

pG21IZql.jpg

I shoot two strong side's most of the time.

I always carried cross draw when hunting.

I have a few cross draw rigs and strong side rigs

just like to go back and forth .

Never know :-)

It would be interesting to see what the top 16 shooters prefer.

I use two strong side holsters as a BP Gunfighter but have always used a cross draw for horseback riding, hunting and for concealed carry. "Whatever floats your boat!" :P

I have only shot cd a few times when I used to shoot duelist.

A personal observation about cd is that some shooters obviously shoot at local ranges that are fairly slack about the 170 and the dance. These shooters come to a state or regional and do as they have done at home, only to receive warnings and penalties.

Local range need to enforce SASS rules to the written standards. These local ranges are not doing their shooters any favors by sending to larger matches with poor habits.

That's a pretty wide 'brush' you're using. <_<

BTW: Show the rule about the 'dance'? You CAN'T-There ain't one. :rolleyes:

OLG

While I used to only have one, and now have four, three of them were acquired new, never before used... Don't blame me if you can't find yours!