SASS Wire Forum

OT: Ruger Lcp ?

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Yesterday a trip to a shop I found the indoor range way busy.

I looked over the selection while waiting for a friend to show up.

They had a Ruger Lcp .380 little bitty semiauto.

Only $210 brand new, it seems Ruger has a new improved model for

just a little more bucks.

These old style lcp will probably go even cheaper.

They aren't for a day at the range. Shoot one enuf to get how it works

and put it away for a rainy day.

At 7 ounces these are about the weight of half a can of pop and tiny.

But remember the real purpose of a pistol is to make the bad guys duck

long enuf to let you get to a real weapon.

ymmv.

Best

CR

Howdy,

I did have to go back and I did say half a can of pop.

I guess pop comes many sizes.....

My bet is the new ones will appeal to the folks who want range time.

And these originals will be cheeeep.

The little guys have a good bit of recoil.

Best

CR

I had one and also had a Kel-Tec which is basically the same. Nice little carry gun, a little hand biter but very concealable. I prefer the LC9S, which is what I'm carrying now.

Happy hunting!

Ruger, S&W, Kahr, Kimber, Glock (finally) and Sig: all producing popular can-do carry guns.

And then there is what is left of Colt. Capable of producing high quality guns but led by marketing and management on the road of irrelevance and bankruptcy.

Ruger, S&W, Kahr, Kimber, Glock (finally) and Sig: all producing popular can-do carry guns.

And then there is what is left of Colt. Capable of producing high quality guns but led by marketing and management on the road of irrelevance and bankruptcy.

Colt is actually producing 1911's, Mustang pocket lites in .380 and AR's. They've lowered the price on all these. I bought a 1911 Gov't model in .45 for $699.00, also got a Mustang pocket-lite in .380 for $475.00.

and now Colt will be re-introducing the dick special 6 shot 38 snubby in stainless and calling it the Cobra. Maybe too much to hope for a new Python but a King Cobra would be nice. Anyone heard anything about the Pietta Python clone?

Yes that is a good price for an old version LCP. I have 380 and 32 Keltecs. The 32 is fun to shoot, the 380 not so much. I have 2 G42 and one goes along at all times in the front right pocket. I can also highly recommend all the LCR models and the LC9 and LC9s. I would imagine the bigger LC380 would be a lot more fun to shoot than the LCP. LCR9 is always in the back pocket of the jeans, that snubby is my all time favorite firearm and that takes in a lot of guns

The older version is double action, while the new one is striker fired. For pocket carry, I prefer the old one which is like a DAO revolver aka Smith J frame. Don't need a light trigger pocket carry gun if I ever need to pull it.

The wife and I both was carring the Ruger LCP for years .

I love my Rugers but never really liked the LCP.

I switched to the S&W MP Bodygaurd .

Put Big dot night sights on it .

True double action second strike pocket pistol.

With 8 rounds .

The wife went to a Bersa thunder and loves it.

I still have the Ruger LCP's .

Now they are glove box guns.

and now Colt will be re-introducing the dick special 6 shot 38 snubby in stainless and calling it the Cobra.

Lone Dog, this is good news! Thanks. I Googled it and it appears that this is very true and not a rumor.

Personally, I do not care for the little autos. I like revolvers. I have always wanted a Colt Detective Special but I could never afford a new one and older ones aren't cheap. Maybe this Colt Cobra will be something I can afford now. I have 2 snubbies now. An S&W 442 and a model 36. I love 'em both, but there is something about a Colt. All my favorite old detective movies featured the gun that I always wanted to own. Now maybe I can get one. A brand new one. :)

I was interested in that Kimber K6S but it appears those were all hype. I have yet to see one for sale anywhere and there is no news on them. Maybe it's kismet. Maybe I will finally get my own Colt snubbie. Dang, I am gettin' as giddy as a school girl...hehehe

A couple of years ago I bought a Kel-Tec P3AT. I hated that thing. I sold it. That thing was dreadful to shoot. You wouldn't think a .380 could buck that much but in an 8 ounce gun it's like touching off a miniature model 29 that bites your fingers and not your wrist and arm. It was a nice carry piece but I would rather have a little discomfort with a side of confidence and carry something I can shoot, trust and actually hit something with further away than arms length.

Howdy Rooster,

I have wondered about the bursa thunder....

Interesting your wife has one.

I might have to give it a try.

Im just trying to give a heads up on these NEW low priced rugers.

These are made for a last ditch problem and not afternoon plinking.

What I would like is to find a comfortable shooting .357.

Anybody?

Best

CR

Howdy Rooster,

I have wondered about the bursa thunder....

Interesting your wife has one.

I might have to give it a try.

Im just trying to give a heads up on these NEW low priced rugers.

These are made for a last ditch problem and not afternoon plinking.

What I would like is to find a comfortable shooting .357.

Anybody?

Best

CR

I dont think any small 357 is going to be Comfortable lol.

But there are some nice small 357s.

Ruger SP101 & Ruger has a composite 357 also .

As we all know the smaller the gun .

The harder to control comfortably.

The big intent for them is a , Get away from me gun .

As for the Bersa Thunder .

It fits the hand much better and has 8 rounds.

It will still fit in a pocket as long as you dont were tight clouthing .

I like the Bersa to shoot much more then any of the small 380's

It's fit and feal is like a Walther PPK and at 1/2 the weight and cost.

Have a blessed New Year !

Chili Ron, I have a S&W model 60 Pro in 357 Magnum. It is a lightened stainless steel 5 shot J frame revolver. It has a longer grip than most J frames and is tolerable when pulling the trigger on magnum rounds. It has a 3" barrel. I think the length of the grip is the key. It is accurate as long as I do my part . It is concealable to a point if you re wearing a coat or over shirt or perhaps an ankle holster if wearing boot cut jeans but a bit large for warm weather clothing. I think it's still a bit heavy for long time carry use at 23 ounces. I bought this gun mainly as a "kit gun". Below are a couple of links on this revolver.

http://gunblast.com/SW-60Pro.htm

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-60

There are other .357 revolvers that are easier to conceal, like the S&W 640 series of revolvers or the Ruger LCR in .357. Here is a link that focuses on the S&W and is interesting in this regard:

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/best-j-frame-smith-wesson-model-640-pro-series/

I carry a S&W 442 and I am pretty accurate with it out to 50' and can put all 5 rounds in a 10" circle at that distance shooting quickly. It takes a lot of practice with a double action snubbie but they are definitely a viable carry gun. One thing I learned that is crucial to know - practice with the defensive ammo that you are going to carry. It doesn't matter what you carry.

Everybody,

When I bought my Kel-Tec I practiced with cheap ammo and I could hit a torso sized target 5 out of 7 rounds at 15' (minute of dump truck is not impressive) then when I pulled the trigger on premium ammo not only could I not hit anything reliably the ammo also hit very low as it was faster and it hurt my hand even more. And I have tough hands. Also, the bump (called a front sight on that particular pistol) was nearly impossible to see in any light. It's a point and click (and pray) pistol.

I did consider getting a Ruger LCP when I sold the Kel-Tec I also considered the S&W Bodyguard with the laser sight. But I decided to stick with what I know. It's bulkier and harder to conceal but I trust it and that is what really matters to me. Maybe someday I will revisit that, perhaps a Glock 42.

I will get off my soap box now.

Had a Bersa Thunder for a lot of years, think it was around 200 new, good gun, always went off accurate, and affordable, like a poor mans reliable ppk, sold it to a friend and its still going strong, the little .380s got a snappy twist when shot, carry a sp101 with .357 hornadays and its not.

bad to shoot, trigger is a far cry from my old s&w model 19s tho

Take Care, stay safe DRD

I bought a S & W 9mm shield about 8 months ago and I love it. Great carry piece and good clean trigger pull. Got it for $320. thru a Dealer here in Central FL that gave a deep discount for retired military. All you needed was a DD 214 or ID card, and the $$. Cheers, Hoss C.

Although my carry pistol(s) are full size, My brother recently bought a Sub-Compact SIG P320 in 9mm.

It is a great shooter. VERY accurate and highly dependable in function.

..........Widder

CHILI,

I've owned P229 in .40 cal. It functioned flawless. A shooting friend bought it from me.

I presently own 2 full size P320 models in 9mm and .357 SIG. That SIG is a romper-stomper on the muzzle end, but its VERY controllable on the shooting side. I really like it as it is my main carry pistol.

I'm considering buying another in P220 10mm cal. Thats a powerhouse round.

..........Widder

I like my LCP, and my Kel Tec equivalent. I also like my more recent LC9 even though it is a bit bigger. That difference is valuable in varied situations.

Chili Ron,

I talked with my friend on Sunday that has 3 LCP's, 1 Kel Tec P3AT, 2 NAA Guardians, a Walther PPK and a Seecamp .32. He also has 2 Ruger LCR's - 1 in .22 and 1 .38 Special. He said out of all of them he loves his LCP's for carry and he trusts them and can hit what he aims at with them.

The only mod he made to the LCP that he carries on his person is he put a rubber grip sleeve on it as he has big hands.

Living here in Arizona, it' not often one wears a coat. My CCW is a Sig P238 and I carry it in a Sneaky Pete holster. I call it, "Concealed carry in plain site." I've never been asked if I'm carrying a gun nor has anyone seemed upset. I think most people just assume it's some sort of electronic device I'm carrying.

sig-p2381.jpg

CARRY-1.jpg

Edited by Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663

My carry gun when I carry is a Stainless ported 2 in barrel Taurus 606 in 38/357. I've had it since 97 and it's fairly accurate if you don't go deaf from the blast out of the top of the barrel ports. I trust wheel guns for reliability more than semi's, but they have improved more over the years. My Dr. just had me order him a Ruger LC9s and 2 extended 9 round mags. But it's not recommended to use +P ammo. He also had me get him a Ruger LCR in 38 Spl (Plus P rated) and a GP100 38/357. Gotta like a Dr. that likes guns. He does quite a bit of traveling around the state due to his specialty.

I have a question though. His LC9s safety manual said do NOT use +P ammo in it on a regular basis. It can harm the frame and slide...or something to that effect.

What's a good self defense ammo to run in this pistol? He does not reload and Ruger ....like 90% of the gun makers advise not to use reloads.

Edited by Charlie Whiskers

Having never met you in person , I didn't realize you were so skinny , BQ. :D

Rex , who doesn't look like the picture either. :lol:

Rex, I assure you that picture ain't of me! :blush: I have broader horizons. :P

My carry gun when I carry is a Stainless ported 2 in barrel Taurus 606 in 38/357. I've had it since 97 and it's fairly accurate if you don't go deaf from the blast out of the top of the barrel ports. I trust wheel guns for reliability more than semi's, but they have improved more over the years. My Dr. just had me order him a Ruger LC9s and 2 extended 9 round mags. But it's not recommended to use +P ammo. He also had me get him a Ruger LCR in 38 Spl (Plus P rated) and a GP100 38/357. Gotta like a Dr. that likes guns. He does quite a bit of traveling around the state due to his specialty.

I have a question though. His LC9s safety manual said do NOT use +P ammo in it on a regular basis. It can harm the frame and slide...or something to that effect.

What's a good self defense ammo to run in this pistol? He does not reload and Ruger ....like 90% of the gun makers advise not to use reloads.

There are non +P choices. I like Hornady American Defense.

IMO "+P" means more money - less accuracy.

Pat Riot, SASS #13748, on 05 Jan 2017 - 1:27 PM, said:

There are non +P choices. I like Hornady American Defense.

IMO "+P" means more money - less accuracy.

Thanks...I'll pass that along to him. I figured Hornady would have a good selection of defense ammo, but wasn't sure which. I don't use it in my 357...158 gr hollow points seem to work nicely.