SASS Wire Forum

Prince Rupert's Drop vs .22 bullet

Pulp, SASS#28319

This is some fascinating stuff, at least to me!

http://www.sciencealert.com/watch-what-happens-when-a-bullet-hits-an-unbreakable-prince-rupert-s-drop?perpetual=yes&limitstart=1

The second video on this link actually explains what a PRD is, and how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc1whrZGOZI

I'm not smart enough to post the vid itself but the above is the link to the Bologna Bottle, also known as Prince Rupert's Bottle -- and like the Dutch Teardrop you just watched, it's tough as seasoned white oak on the outside but the least insult to the inside and she shatters.

I don't find any videos of shooting the Prince Rupert's flask.

Shooting the teardrop was impressive!!

I wondered if you drop a ball of molten glass into water if you'd get the same effect of the hardness without the fragile tail. I did a search on that and found lots of speculation on it and theories but nothing solid...pun intended. :P:)

Very cool! Back when I was in junior college I hung out in the art dept, especially the pottery and glass blowing area. I helped pull cane a few times. Now and then we would get it out to 15 feet or so and when we tapped it off it would self destruct like a PRD. Impressive.

Also impressive is a 2" or 3" paperweight that is a PRD.