SASS Wire Forum

OK - I have bees wax & mutton tallow

Cowboy Rick, SASS #49739L

If that works, maybe you could talk the Big Lube supplier into selling you unsized bullets for cheaper.

Now there's a thought ;)

Truthfully, I just retired and am more interested in playing around with this sort of thing. Many years ago, when I was shooting bullseye a LOT, I cast with 2 10# pots, 2 - 4 cavity molds and sized with a Star. Regret selling the stuff. Could easily cast 1,000 in an evening. Pretty sure I do not want to go that route again, but Lord only knows where my mind and ambition will take me. My buddy is a commercial caster, and his 45s drop at .452" - pretty consistent.

CR

I can walk in and out of Grafs with real black powder from most makers in any granulation at what I figure is competitive prices. But BlackMZ is (was) $9.99/lb from Sportsmans Warehouse. Even with shipping and hazmat it's less per pound than the least expensive powder at Grafs. (When buying 10 lbs at a time.) And no goopy bullets needed.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Alliant-Black-MZ-Muzzleloader-Powder/productDetail/Powder-and-Primers/prod99999030268/cat100011

98% of us don't have that option.

I would love to be able to shoot real BP but my current residence will not allow me to safely store real BP.

When I shoot C&B, I make up a batch of my BP lube into little balls, and then push them on top of the balls in the cylinder after they are loaded. Works better for me than lubed wads, and less work. Don't see why this wouldn't work with your cartridge guns if you need more lube. Won't work with a rifle though, and that is where you really need the BP lube, compared to revolvers.

I don't understand the desire to use non-lubed bullets, but you can make this

2 parts by weight Paraffin wax
2 parts by weight Sheep Tallow (Dixie Gun Works)
1 part by weight Beeswax

You can also substitute Crisco for the sheep tallow. What you end up with is, except for the aroma, indistinguishable from SPG. It should be malleable enough to put on the front of the cylinder. It works great when put in the lube grooves on the bullet.