SASS Wire Forum

1860 Holsters

Gallows Hugh Moore

Just getting back into cowboy shooting after a few years hiatus and will be shooting Pietta 1860s. I shot them before dropping out for a while and used a regular western style rig. I will be using some 5.5 inch barreled versions mainly but also want to use a pair of 8 inch barreled models and was thinking about going with a cavalry theme with them. I was thinking about using the full flap holsters carried butt forward for that semi authentic look (since it is 2 holsters instead of 1). Do any of you use this setup?

I tried wearing the flap holsters for a few monthly matches and it was fun. What I found out that to make it effective I had to shoot every match with the same set up or it was not fun. Give it a try and see if you like it. Good luck.

That is the exact rig that I am using.....as mentioned , not super fast, but is not as slow as many would have you believe....

There are many methods of drawing from the flap over holsters.

Over the years there have been many posts on the various methods...ie....cavalry twist draw, drawing the gun upside down and rotating, simply rotating the gun in the holster as you are at the loading table being summoned to the line...etc

I have used them all.....

Bugler

Keep us posted as to which method you end up using.....

Bugler

also, be prepared to explain to the Match Director/TO that you are NOT violating the 170 by using any of the drawing methods for cavalry flap over holsters, especially when you are using two of them.

The Cavalry Twist Draw is an approved method by SASS.

Bugler

To make this setup complete you would also need to shoot an 1860 Henry in BP. I don't know if a muzzle loading shotgun would be just to time consuming.

I use that set-up but without the flaps (look at my avatar). The rig was custom built for me by Trailrider Leather in Colorado and is just excellent.

Much obliged for the plug, Pard! I sent him a PM as to where he can look at some of the other rigs.

Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to you and yours!

Your obedient servant,

Trailrider

Thanks for the link! I am definitely thinking about going with the 1870 Henry for my main rifle! A copy of a Colt 1878 or some other rabbit eared shotgun will have to suffice for belching forth great clouds of target obscuring smoke! I stil have all my old brass shotgun shells and enough black powder to put me on Homeland Security's watch list. I could always try a Trapdoor Forager shotgun and have really slow reloads!

If you are interested in an 1860 Henry there is one for sale on this forum. Here is the link.

http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=245651

To make this setup complete you would also need to shoot an 1860 Henry in BP.

I don't know if a muzzle loading shotgun would be just too time consuming.

REF: SHB p.10

"SHOTGUN GAUGES

...must be centerfire..."

That precludes the use of a muzzle-loading shotgun.

also, be prepared to explain to the Match Director/TO that you are NOT violating the 170 by using any of the drawing methods for cavalry flap over holsters, especially when you are using two of them.

The Cavalry Twist Draw is an approved method by SASS.

Bugler

This video demonstrates just one method of Cav/twist draw from a half-flap military holster (1880).