SASS Wire Forum

Cabin Fever Topic , Blackpowder

Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129

Shooting a single action with a modern two handed grip seems odd to me. I've just never shot a single action that way. It looks like most of the black powder shooters shoot duelist or gunfighter. It seems odd to see someone shooting black powder with a two hand hold. Especially so when shooting cap guns.

• Like 1

Shooting a single action with a modern two handed grip seems odd to me. I've just never shot a single action that way. It looks like most of the black powder shooters shoot duelist or gunfighter. It seems odd to see someone shooting black powder with a two hand hold. Especially so when shooting cap guns.

Last year I damaged both shoulders & could not shoot duelist.

So....I shot 2-handed.

Felt really strange.

It was either shoot 2-handed, or not shoot at all.

So..........I shot my cap guns holding on to them with both hands.

Had just enough strength in my injured shoulders to get through a stage.

Much satisfaction, though, in still being able to shoot my cap guns..

Still lotsa weakness in the shoulders.

When I shoot Josey Wales, I shoot my pistol pistols and shotgun pistol duelist, but don't have the strength to shoot my rifle pistols duelist

Strength is coming back slowly, but I do what I hafta do to keep on shooting

--Dawg

Edited by Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329
  • Like 1

Last year I damaged both shoulders & could not shoot duelist.

So....I shot 2-handed.

Felt really strange.

It was either shoot 2-handed, or not shoot at all.

So..........I shot my cap guns holding on to them with both hands.

Had just enough strength in my injured shoulders to get through a stage.

Much satisfaction, though, in still being able to shoot my cap guns..

Still lotsa weakness in the shoulders.

When I shoot Josey Wales, I shoot my pistol pistols and shotgun pistol duelist, but don't have the strength to shoot my rifle pistols duelist

Strength is coming back slowly, but I do what I hafta do to keep on shooting

--Dawg

Phew.....was scared for a second that you went smokeless.........

Hope you get back in tip top shape!

Possum, I'm not sure what a minimum should be. I use a pretty stout load in mine because I wanna. I personally feel that this thread is fishing for a problem that doesn't really exist. Most folks shoot BP because it's fun and they like it. Peer pressure weeds out most of the wannabes. There are a lot of fast BP shooters out there right now and I know most all of 'em. The factor isn't a factor! If there are some folks out there in areas who are trying to hedge it, they ain't cheating anyone but themselves. Kinda like those who used to use the super-light smokeless loads looking to outrun faster shooters...you can't buy or manufacture a win. Besides, seeing all of the targets just confuses me! :D

Kinda forgot where I was going with this rant except to say that I shoot most of the bigger matches and don't see this as a problem.

Just my $4 worth.

It seems the black powder shooters tend to group up and trade stories and talk loads and guns and go to some effort to get on same posse. I get the notion that some smokeless shooters enjoy watching black powder shooters shoot while a few would be happy if nobody shot black powder.

For a ladies load in 20 ga. I use 48 gr. Goex 3F under 3/4 oz, shot.

My 16 ga. load is 3.4 CCs. of Goex 3F under 1oz. of shot.

In My 12 ga. I use 4.3 CCs. of Goex 3F under 1 1/8 oz. of shot ...

In 10 ga. I use 6 CCs. of Goex 3F under 1 3/8 oz. of shot...

All above are used in hammered doubles between 90 years old 132 years old ....

Happy New Year to all ...

Jabez Cowboy

I shoot what gives me satisfaction and makes the KDs go down. I'll even shoot subs if the price is right.

I shoot what gives me satisfaction and makes the KDs go down. I'll even shoot subs if the price is right.

Yep, me too.

I shoot APP in my 45 CAS & 38 Special rifles, cuz they just do not play well with Black Powder.

But 90% of the time, I shoot 44-40s & 38-40s with good old Black Powder.

Shoot what makes ya happy!

--Dawg

Before holidays I dropped my 10 gauge off to get slicked up. 4 and half dram of 1F should be fun. Also having shotgun belt done for 10 gauge by T STAR Leather

4 1/2 drams???

I just did the math. That's 123 grains. Do you really think you need that much powder? Is powder that cheap in your neck of the woods?

Before holidays I dropped my 10 gauge off to get slicked up. 4 and half dram of 1F should be fun. Also having shotgun belt done for 10 gauge by T STAR Leather

I used half that much in my Colt 1878 10 gauge yesterday at a New Year Day shoot. Grafs FG. It burned pretty clean and really didn't make much smoke.