SASS Wire Forum

Cabin Fever Topic , Blackpowder

Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129

It has come to my attention that there are folks out there that are loading Shotshell with less than 3 grains more blackpowder than I use in .45 Colt ....

These loads hardly smoke more than old IVI smokeless loads ...

It is in my opinion pushing things too far ,,, shotshells used in the Blackpowder classes should smoke more than smokeless.to a noticeable degree ....

I shoot FCD and my loads SMOKE ....

Do I expect everyones loads to be as smokie as mine NO !

Flame away ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I do ...

Jabez Cowboy

My practice BP load is 34 of 2F. Plastic wad, OS wad and rolled crimp.

My match load is 40 and 52 of 2F, OP then lubed wad, then dry filler wad, then lead and OS wad, rolled crimp.

If the practice load is fired near or on the KD, it's down.

The smaller match load is used 90%+ of the time.

The heavy match load is used for difficult KDs, smaller or at significant angles.

When I used waxed filler wad loads, that resulted in many misses, due to the donut patterns.

Just sayin'

Amarillo Rattler

Edited by Amarillo Rattler

I get more smoke & flame & fireworks with Fg powder

Bigger granules, many of which exit the barrels still burning = quite a show.

--Dawg

I've used Grafs Reenactor in everything until switching to BlackMZ. Grafts Reenactor is about like cracked corn. I think the BlackMZ puts out as much or more smoke than Reenactor.

For some reason, my loads in rifle, pistol ot shotgun don't put out flame. Maybe need cornmeal filler on top of powder?

A lot depends on humidity and breeze. I use pretty light loads and I often loose the targets in the bank of smoke. I see (in my videos) people behind me backing up and fanning the smoke as it drifts over them.

I've used Grafs Reenactor in everything until switching to BlackMZ. Grafts Reenactor is about like cracked corn. I think the BlackMZ puts out as much or more smoke than Reenactor.

For some reason, my loads in rifle, pistol ot shotgun don't put out flame. Maybe need cornmeal filler on top of powder?

A lot depends on humidity and breeze. I use pretty light loads and I often loose the targets in the bank of smoke. I see (in my videos) people behind me backing up and fanning the smoke as it drifts over them.

Most of the subs don't flame. You need to go to real black for the full effect. I shot some Fg Skirmish at a night shoot. My night vision went away on the first shot but the spectators said the burning powder granules were bouncing off of the targets.

• Like 1

I use a load that is efficient in respect to powder consumption and target knockdown ability. The fact that it provides about twice the smoke per shot of my rifle & pistol loads is simply a side-effect that annoys others nearly all the time, and me some of the time... wind direction seems a part of that phenomenon. Just how (insert favored Naval expletive here) thick does the rule book have to get before everyone will abide by it?

We have enough stinkin' rules to argue about now! And, seemingly do, at the drop of a hat! :ph34r::P

Edited to correct auto-fill... :o

Edited by Griff

I remember a fellow that used 100 2F. Didn't think that shotgun would ever stop smoking. I use 36% less than he does with lots of flame and smoke commen out of that 12ga. That's FUN! :D

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, other than to brag about how much better of a black powder shooter you are than the rest of us wannabes. The one thing I like the most about shooting bp is the camaraderie I feel with fellow bp shooters. I don't think we need to start an elitist branch denigrating all those that you think aren't doing it right. I have yet to meet anyone shooting in the bp categories just to increase their competitive advanatage. Maybe they exist, but so far the only ones I've met do it for the love of bp

I don't know.

Doesn't seem worth getting outta bed if you're using less than 70grains of black...........

Edited by Cemetery
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, other than to brag about how much better of a black powder shooter you are than the rest of us wannabes. The one thing I like the most about shooting bp is the camaraderie I feel with fellow bp shooters. I don't think we need to start an elitist branch denigrating all those that you think aren't doing it right. I have yet to meet anyone shooting in the bp categories just to increase their competitive advanatage. Maybe they exist, but so far the only ones I've met do it for the love of bp

Oh yea, well my smoke stinks more than yours! :D

• Like 1

:D I load my .45s to the max with 255 grain bullets. I fill my 19 gauge 3-1/2 brass shells chick full of Holy Black nitro wad, fiber wads, shot and an over shot wad sealed with Duco Cement. I have a real blast ;) ;) ;) with wart hog loads of Schuetzen. I'd add more BP but no matter how much I cram it in, I can't add any more.I love the smoke, flame and boom so a little recoil is just fun anyway. ;);););):D

OOOOPS!!!!! Not 19 gauge but 10 gauge. :wub:

Howdy

I put put pretty much the same amount of powder into my 12 gauge shells as I do in a 45-70.

Don't really care too much what anybody else does.

shotgunstance.jpg

Howdy

I put put pretty much the same amount of powder into my 12 gauge shells as I do in a 45-70.

Don't really care too much what anybody else does.

shotgunstance.jpg

Yep - Gotta put the KDs down and be confident in your load. What works for others, works for others.

CR

It has come to my attention that there are folks out there that are loading Shotshell with less than 3 grains more blackpowder than I use in .45 Colt ....

I've been thinking of using 3" shells for my SxS just so I can get more powder in...........

• Like 1

Well it seems that their might be a problem and some might wish it weren't so but it is probley isn't beyond that which can best be remediated by peer pressure...

Thank-you all for your imput ....

Keep them smoking ....

Happy New Year ...

Jabez Cowboy

I don't care what others shoot.

I shoot for my own satisfaction.

--Dawg

I shoot for my own satisfaction.

--Dawg

AMEN, BROTHER!!!!!!