SASS Wire Forum

Colt New Frontier question

Pulp, SASS#28319

New one os about 2000 and about two year wait list ?

So depends if you want one Now for less money .

Or one later for more money.

Colt's website lists prices for a New Frontier at $1599.00 so if it's in good condition that's not a bad price considering there's a 2 year wait on a new one!!

It looks very good from the counter, but I didn't look at it close up. It is blue, with wooden grips. After the OP, I looked at some of the auction sights, and that's about what they are running. Some lower, some higher. Dealer also told me he had some wiggle room.

The shorter barrel ones bring a better price. I have 2 of them in 5.5 barrels that I gave 1000.00 NIB third gen about 8 years ago. Depending on what you want to use it for, seems a bit on the high side. However, I have been accused of being thrifty with my money. (CHEAP).

New frontiers don't fetch the same kind of crazy prices on the auction sites like SAA do, which also hurts resale value. If there is indeed wiggle room, and you like the gun as a shooter, go for it.

Eight years ago Colt was not making New Frontiers. The original run of 3rd generation New Frontiers was built in the late 70s and early 80s. Some of them are very sweet, some are a bit rough. The only way to know is to handle the gun and work the action. The New Frontier was reintroduced about four years ago and these are very sweet. The 70s/80s have a NF suffix and non-removable cylinder bushing. The new ones have an NF prefix and the removable bushing. I have both and like them both. Price wise New Frontiers are almost always less expensive than regular SAAs. The way Colt prices are these days, if you can find one under $1500 it is likely a good deal.

Doesn't the New Frontier have a ramp front sight and an adjustable rear sight? I believe they are.

If so, I'd limit my offer to a maximum $900 (if the revolver is in excellent or better condition). Or, more likely, I'd pass on it. In fact, I just am just not interested in Colt's SAA revolvers with those sights. I saw one the other day for sale, handled it and had no enthusiasm for it at all.

• Like 1