SASS Wire Forum

Replacement Reinforced 1866 Loading Gate?

Lead Friend, SASS #53635

Are there any suggestions for a vendor who can provide such an animal? I believe I require the small screw variety.

I know I can JB Weld the one I've got but I think I'd rather just replace it.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Edited by Lead Friend, SASS #53635

They've got a reinforced large screw gate but not a reinforced small screw gate. And they are proud of those. Thank you though, I appreciate the suggestion.

Anyone else have any ideas?

This comes up at least once a month. NO ONE sells a factory reinforced loading gate. Doesn't matter what the hype unless it has been fixed by someone the gate is not truly reinforced. Go here and look at post #8.

http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=247964

Well allrighty then, thank you very much for that nudge in the right direction. I remember that thread but couldn't track it down via the search bar. Off to the auto parts store tomorrow.

Best regards,

LF

You probably got what you need by now. I bought a 66 new 3 years ago, & the loading gate broke almost immediately. Somebody in the know told me what to buy from Uberti, & I just looked up my notes from the time. I got one from Uberti & installed it. Mine took the large screw.

110313 – Ordered aftermarket Loading Gate. BA:220127/lgAftermarket Loading Gate (1866) Large Diam Screw Hole .115" OD (2005+) Quantity : 1 Price : US$35.00. Got it from VTI Gunparts.

I had a lot of problems with that rifle, that could be attributed to who initially did the slick up & SS work. However, that same person built a 73 for me that was bulletproof. Once I got the 66 running perfectly & knew it would perform for a new owner, I sold it. That cowboy emailed me after about a year just to tell me how much he loved it.

Anyway, I'm strictly a 73 man now. 18" Cimmaron Brush Popper in 38/357 from Marshall Harland Wolfe. It works every time so I can focus on my shooting without worrying about the equipment.

Hey Lead Friend

Go to Track of the Wolf and look under guns, cartridge guns, cartridge rifles, repeating and lever action they have 3 for small hole in different finishes, you would need to do the fix on them but they sure are pretty

Now that is all some good dang advice!

I've got a Uberti gate on the way from Track of the Wolf that will serve as my spare and I'll see if I can work some magic with JB Weld on the one that I've got.

Thanks to all for your contributions!

Yer Pard,

Lead Friend

i JB Weld the loading gate tab on every '66 I get....fresh out of the box or well used....saves a LOT of frustration and disappointment to boot!

I posted a pictorial tutorial of this on another thread.

Bugler