SASS Wire Forum

Be careful what you say...!

Sometimes it don't pay to try to say something nice. :huh:

Steve Martin blasted for tribute comment on Carrie Fisher

Steve Martin received backlash for a tribute he paid to Carrie Fisher on Twitter.

On Tuesday, the comic wrote in a since-deleted tweet, "When I was a young man, Carrie Fisher was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. She turned out to be witty and bright as well."

Media outlets and fans immediately turned on the comedian saying Martin’s tweet had a sexist undertone.

Oh well... :mellow:

Some People need to get a Life. Bottles, setup everyone with a round on me. Maddog

Cinnabon also faced criticism for a tweet they sent out saying, "RIP Carrie Fisher, you'll always have the best buns in the galaxy." They deleted their tweet.

#cinnabon pic.twitter.com/m0TERwWW2g

— Michael O'Brien (@Converge241) December 27, 2016

I'm reminded of the time in San Francisco (where else?) when I walked into the break room at work... three female-type persons were seated at a nearby table; I smiled, and said "Good morning, ladies..."

At which one of 'em turned, glowered at me, and snapped "We are WOMEN! We are NOT 'ladies'!"

I smiled again and responded "Well then... I reckon you aren't at that," and walked away. :rolleyes:

• Like 7

Good 'un, Shadow...!! :lol:

"The Great One" speaks! ^_^

Edited by Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967

Seems these days everyone is PC.

Everyone where's thier feelings on their sleeve.

And everyone has rights except you !

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne

I have worked in public transit agencies for 23 years of my adult life. PC is a way of life in these agencies but I have somehow managed to not get fired from any of them...I came close a couple of times but my work and my reputation has outweighed the stupidity that I have had to deal with. That and I am pretty good at twisting these people up when they need it.

I'm reminded of the time in San Francisco (where else?) when I walked into the break room at work... three female-type persons were seated at a nearby table; I smiled, and said "Good morning, ladies..."

At which one of 'em turned, glowered at me, and snapped "We are WOMEN! We are NOT 'ladies'!"

I smiled again and responded "Well then... I reckon you aren't at that," and walked away. :rolleyes:

Did you get talked to by HR for that?

I heard about this driving to work. I'm not sure if Mr. Martin is more easily bullied than I, or if he simply has more class. My next tweets would have been very pointed toward those critical of my comment.

ONE D TEN Ts

I heard about this driving to work. I'm not sure if Mr. Martin is more easily bullied than I, or if he simply has more class. My next tweets would have been very pointed toward those critical of my comment.

Usually I would just say screw 'me. But when the event is the passing of a friend I would also remove anything causing controversy.

My great-niece got an A and had an essay published in a UCLA campus paper on how offensive and demeaning being called a girl or girls was. :o:wacko::rolleyes:

Seriously, I thought it was a term of endearment. :) Y'all can call me "girl" any time.

This is from the generation that calls people the expletive (or, so it has become) for a female dog.

Wouldn't it be wonderful... and hilariously refreshing... if someone like Steve Martin responded to these sorts of criticism with words like "My comments were made in tribute to a friend and fellow actor. I intended no offense to her nor to her memory, but if you will tell me exactly what I said that you found offensive I'll be happy to say those same words as often as I can."

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be wonderful... and hilariously refreshing... if someone like Steve Martin responded to these sorts of criticism with words like "My comments were made in tribute to a friend and fellow actor. I intended no offense to her nor to her memory, but if you will tell me exactly what I said that you found offensive I'll be happy to say those same words as often as I can."

I love it! :lol:

Followed by a smile and a heartfelt "And by the way... Up Yours!" ^_^

And speaking of "and by the way's..." By the way ~ anyone who wouldn't recognize Allie a a girl ( :wub: ) is blind, nuts, or from San Francisco! ;)

I would have suggested to Mr. Martin to ignore such a mindless, self-centered snit when his intent was to honor someone that he obviously thought much of, and then some gentle banjo music in a minor chord.

If we stop paying attention (and giving power) to offended fools, maybe they will go away.

• Like 1

Usually I would just say screw 'me. But when the event is the passing of a friend I would also remove anything causing controversy.

You make a very good point.

I would have suggested to Mr. Martin to ignore such a mindless, self-centered snit when his intent was to honor someone that he obviously thought much of, and then some gentle banjo music in a minor chord.

If we stop paying attention (and giving power) to offended fools, maybe they will go away.

Good thought.

PS :wub: y'alls HPC and FR!