SASS Wire Forum

How do you fix something wrong in the chamber of of a rossi 44-40?

Pit Bull Tex

Those are Starline cases and my new ones are 1.296 - they chamber perfectly and fire with no marks on the brass in my 1887 JM Marlin Ballard rifle.

OK, now measure from the front of your cases back 0.390". That is the distance where the shoulder on the brass starts. Looking at the picture of your reloads, it looks like the shoulder starts farther back from the mouth of the case = the shoulder set back is too long.

Edited by John Boy

Pit , I'm sure you are getting some great help and advice here , but from where you live you could have dropped it off at Nate's shop by the time you read all these posts.

Then you would have a 100% answer.

Just sayin' , Rex :D

( unless he has moved) :)

Pit Bull - here's what Starline says for their new cases ...

44-40 Brass (Large Pistol primer)

44-40 Winchester Brass, 44-40 Win Brass, 44 Win Brass, 44-40WCF Brass, 44 Winchester Brass, 44-40 Marlin Brass
1.294 - 1.300 O.A.L.

Nate was real close.He moved about 8 months ago.If he was still here I would have dropped it off on the way to Orange and not have posted at all.Nate is a good ways away now.Now far the shoulder set back is,should that matter how it messes up the mouth of the case.

Edited by Pit Bull Tex

PBT,

Is this a stock Rossi 92? Stock 92s are know to deform the case mouth of 44-40s during the ejection process.

Easy way to test for this is to remove the ejector from the bolt and then insert an empty case into the chamber by hand. Close the bolt and then open it. It will extract the case but not eject it.

You can remove the ejector without removing the bolt by removing the pin holding the bolt to the lever. The ejector can be removed from the bolt and then the pin can be reinserted to allow the action to cycle.

This damage is one of the reasons NKJ developed his spring kit.

This will also let you see any case deformation caused by a piece of case lodged in the chamber by eliminating the ejector as a source of damage.

Edited by Sedalia Dave

Now far the shoulder set back is,should that matter how it messes up the mouth of the case.

Pitt Bull - You have to do the measurements to determine if the shoulder length is correct - then drop a couple of cases in the chamber to find out

What Dave said fixes it.I just shot a round and push down on the case as I opened the action and there is no mark on the case at all.Shot it again and push the case down as I opened the action and no mark on the case.Shot one and did not hold down on the case and just opened the action and the case mouth is screwed up.Going to change the ejector spring.I am also going to rent a bore scope to make sure there is nothing in the bore.It chambers a round easy but going to check it anyway.Thanks for the info.

Just talked to Nate and he said he could have saved me a lot of post.Just got to order the parts.Thanks again for the help.

Edited by Pit Bull Tex

I did not figure it out Dave told me how to check it.Then I got on Nate site and it say on the front page that the rossi s screwed up the case mouths of 44-40s.Called Nate and he told me what I needed to do.

PBT,

Is this a stock Rossi 92? Stock 92s are know to deform the case mouth of 44-40s during the ejection process.

Easy way to test for this is to remove the ejector from the bolt and then insert an empty case into the chamber by hand. Close the bolt and then open it. It will extract the case but not eject it.

You can remove the ejector without removing the bolt by removing the pin holding the bolt to the lever. The ejector can be removed from the bolt and then the pin can be reinserted to allow the action to cycle.

This damage is one of the reasons NKJ developed his spring kit.

This will also let you see any case deformation caused by a piece of case lodged in the chamber by eliminating the ejector as a source of damage.

True that. Back in the early 90's when I first started working the Rossi it was because of this very issue, the 44-40's being the worst. Back then, 44-40 brass was hard to find. You had to buy new 44-40 ammo, as much as $35 to $40 a box and save the brass for reloading. The problem was the Rossi 92`s were so stiff and the 44-40 brass being thin walled, they would crush the case mouth destroying the brass. I had to figured out how to make them work without ruining the brass. The key is to refit the ejector so it will work with a lighter spring. The Rossi spring was so stiff it would crush the case mouth as the case was extracted. For the other cals it would launch the brass in to low orbit never to be seen again

Just talked to Nate and he said he could have saved me a lot of post.Just got to order the parts.Thanks again for the help.

Great, PBT! Good luck with a new ejector spring.

Hey, now at least you know the barrel and chamber are sparkling clean!

Good luck, GJ

If I would have used my head for more than a hat rack I would be better off.

Tex, we have all had experiences like this, I am sure. Don't bet yourself up over it. Look at it this way, it was a learning experience. Things like this can be frustrating but you didn't didn't just throw your hands up and walk away. You are working it out and getting it worked out.

Have a great day and a Happy New Year.

Ah, HA! Had similar problem with Rossi 92 and .44-40 brass (Winchester), causing the case to get "pitcher mouthed". I cut about 1-1/2 turns off the ejector spring and compressed it somewhat in a bench vise. In addition, I took a needle file to the right corner of the extractor cut in the back end of the barrel, rounding it slightly. Solved the problem as far as messing up the case mouths was concerned. You are probably better off letting Nate or a good gunsmith (in case Nate is too far away or can't get to it), check the rifle out, especially the chamber. Best of luck.

Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!