SASS Wire Forum

So, here is what Santa brought me.

Snakebite

Me too. I have ridden all types of bikes. I looked at the America but the Vulcan just fit me. Hard to explain but the overall ergonomics work for me. When I decided on a Cruiser, after checking out the Triumphs and everything else, I tried every 900 and larger Cruiser out there as well. The Vulcan won out. My days of canyon bombing on crotch rockets and raising cain on dirt bikes are over...unfortunately.

I do want to get a Kawasaki KLR650 as well but my wife knows my plans for it and doesn't want me tearing up the timber trails out where there is no cell service or civilization. I guess I showed my hand in that regard talking with a salesman at the dealership. She's afraid I will go down somewhere out in the woods and will have no way to communicate. I guess she wants to keep me around a bit longer...for some reason. :)

If you are concerned about a breakdown or worse a medical emergency and not having cell service I suggest you get a DeLorme inReach. It is a GPS that has Iridium satellite communications capability to send 10 user pre-programmed text messages and receive text messages. It also, has 911 feature that uses the worldwide emergency locator service. Bought one for my son; because, he rides dirt bikes in the mountains north east of Upper Lake CA. There is no cell service and from the family cabin he stays at is a 15 minute drive to a pay phone. What triggered him looking at emergency com devices was an incident last February when the person he was riding with crashed and injured his ribs. My son is a fireman paramedic so he was able to access the injury and render first aid. Fortunately the injury was not severe enough to prevent them from driving back to the cabin, pack-up and driving the 4 hours home. One advantage over the similar Garmin devices is DeLorme has an ala carte service plan.

If you are concerned about a breakdown or worse a medical emergency and not having cell service I suggest you get a DeLorme inReach. It is a GPS that has Iridium satellite communications capability to send 10 user pre-programmed text messages and receive text messages. It also, has 911 feature that uses the worldwide emergency locator service. Bought one for my son; because, he rides dirt bikes in the mountains north east of Upper Lake CA. There is no cell service and from the family cabin he stays at is a 15 minute drive to a pay phone. What triggered him looking at emergency com devices was an incident last February when the person he was riding with crashed and injured his ribs. My son is a fireman paramedic so he was able to access the injury and render first aid. Fortunately the injury was not severe enough to prevent them from driving back to the cabin, pack-up and driving the 4 hours home. One advantage over the similar Garmin devices is DeLorme has an ala carte service plan.

I like that JD Daily. Thank you for the information.