SASS Wire Forum

So, here is what Santa brought me.

Snakebite

I see it has cylinders but how do you load it? LOL

Details PLZ :excl:^_^

OLG

This is one of the new generation Triumph Bonnevilles. It is made to resemble the originals but with a lot of modern upgrades. It is air and oil cooled. Holds a gallon+ of oil, and has a large Oil cooler to keep things where they should be. I had one back in the 60s... I think that I pushed it as much as I rode it, seemed like I worked on it all the time to keep it going, and had to keep a pan under it to catch the oil leaks. These new ones are a heck of lot better, and have a lot more power. It is 865 cc over-square engine with a 360 degree crank that develops plenty of HP and mid range torque. It does have a counter balancer so that 360 does not hop around at all. It is quite smooth and sounds like a twin should. Those Carbs are phony!, Yep, it is fuel injected, and they are made to look like carbs.Has a input port to change the fuel maps... but I see no need to do that. I've had so my bikes that I can not remember all of them... from small to large, Many big Touring bikes, Crotch Rockets, Dual Sports, Dirt bikes, and a variety of street bikes. I must say that this one handles better than any of them that I can remember. (although my old BSA was pretty nice) I went to buy a new 2016 but they had this 2014 with only 600 mi on it! The 2014 is the identical bike as the 2016. I didn't want the 2017 Bonneville because they are a totally different machine which is larger and has different motor, water cooled, 270 degree crank and cost about twice what I paid for this one. So.................... I got rid of the Honda CTX1300D. Dropping 300# in raw weight was sure nice. I no longer plan to do the long tours so didn't need the big touring bike. This bike just fits the bill here in my mountain area. It's plenty quick, and nimble as a Cow dog. I think that it will be just what I want.

• Like 1

Very nice Snakebite... I've drooled over them since they came back on the market... but alas... I still need some guns!!!

I wanted a Triumph but I was torn between the Scrambler and the T100 or a Vulcan 900. I ended up with a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT because I have arthritis in my hips now. The seat and sitting position on the Triumph caused my hips to hurt only after sitting on the bike a few minutes. Oh, I am not complaining. I am very happy with my bike but I am envious :)

I hope you have many happy and safe miles on your new Christmas toy, Snakebite.

I wanted a Triumph but I was torn between the Scrambler and the T100 or a Vulcan 900. I ended up with a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT because I have arthritis in my hips now. The seat and sitting position on the Triumph caused my hips to hurt only after sitting on the bike a few minutes. Oh, I am not complaining. I am very happy with my bike but I am envious :)

I hope you have many happy and safe miles on your new Christmas toy, Snakebite.

I like all motorcycles. They all have their strong points. The type of bike one gets depends upon a lot of things... You ought to go down and find a Triumph America.... it is the "Crusier" version of the Bonneville... it sit very much like a Vulcan. I almost bought one................. and I may just get one of them too. ................... OUCH! My wife just hit me up side the head!

Snakebite

I like all motorcycles. They all have their strong points. The type of bike one gets depends upon a lot of things... You ought to go down and find a Triumph America.... it is the "Crusier" version of the Bonneville... it sit very much like a Vulcan. I almost bought one................. and I may just get one of them too. ................... OUCH! My wife just hit me up side the head!

Snakebite

Me too. I have ridden all types of bikes. I looked at the America but the Vulcan just fit me. Hard to explain but the overall ergonomics work for me. When I decided on a Cruiser, after checking out the Triumphs and everything else, I tried every 900 and larger Cruiser out there as well. The Vulcan won out. My days of canyon bombing on crotch rockets and raising cain on dirt bikes are over...unfortunately.

I do want to get a Kawasaki KLR650 as well but my wife knows my plans for it and doesn't want me tearing up the timber trails out where there is no cell service or civilization. I guess I showed my hand in that regard talking with a salesman at the dealership. She's afraid I will go down somewhere out in the woods and will have no way to communicate. I guess she wants to keep me around a bit longer...for some reason. :)

I got rid of the KLR for the same reason. Lost all of my Dual Sport riding buddies and going out alone was not smart and not fun. They are a real workhorse and easy to work on. Parts are easy to get and cheap.

Pat Riot

Pard get yourself some big ,I mean BIG life insurance policy and she might just find it easyer to let you go ride that new KLR 650.......

Jabez Cowboy

Pat Riot

Pard get yourself some big ,I mean BIG life insurance policy and she might just find it easyer to let you go ride that new KLR 650.......

Jabez Cowboy

You are too funny :lol:

I made a joke like this to my wife a few months back and she didn't get it...I did get some dirty looks and a bit of a tongue lashing. :blink:

I have tried to live the last few years following one of my favorite Clint Eastwood lines "A man has got to know his limitations". It has helped keep me in check, haha.

Maybe I should get that tattooed on the back of my hand..... :P

Snakebite,

I am still envious. That is one pretty motorcycle. :)

I really do have to start reading my comments before I click post...I am a fumble-fingers...

Edited by Pat Riot, SASS #13748

Pat Riot ;

It was worth a try...

All the best to you , from an old Dirt Tracker,Motocross, Crosscountry and street rider ...

Jabez Cowboy

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Had a 1957 Triumph Cub, a 1960 650 TR6, 1967 650 Bonneville, 1969 Norton 750 Roadster, 1975 Norton 850 Hi-Rider, & later another 1975 Norton 850 Hi-Rider. I'm currently trying to resist buying a 2017 Bonneville T120 that I was drooling over in the showroom yesterday. I thought I was thru riding when I sold my 2007 Screamin' Eagle Ultra & my 2009 Concours about 6 months ago, but I'm starting to get withdrawal shakes.

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Had a 1957 Triumph Cub, a 1960 650 TR6, 1967 650 Bonneville, 1969 Norton 750 Roadster, 1975 Norton 850 Hi-Rider, & later another 1975 Norton 850 Hi-Rider. I'm currently trying to resist buying a 2017 Bonneville T120 that I was drooling over in the showroom yesterday. I thought I was thru riding when I sold my 2007 Screamin' Eagle Ultra & my 2009 Concours about 6 months ago, but I'm starting to get withdrawal shakes.

Max... I would sure like to have one of them Nortons! I looked at the 2017 T100 and T120, both water cooled and 270 cranks. I was agonizing about which way to go. I was a little apprehensive of the new motor.. although I'm sure it's a dandy, but will be more convinced after it's been down the road a piece. I was drooling hard over a New 2016 T100 which are being offered at some pretty good deals, and then this guy brings in this 2014 (same exact bike), that he bought new for his wife in 2014... well, she got sick and passed away with only 600 mi on it, so he brought it back to the deal to sell for him... the price was just great, so I jumped on it. It is not fast like those Japanese Crotch Rockets, but it is very quick and agile ... compared to the Old Bonneville it is a Rocket, and IMO, is loaded with Class. I think you ought jump on one and just feel the Retro Vibes.

Snakebite

Snakebite, I always felt I had to have the fastest bike available. I won't go thru the list of approximately 60 bikes I've owned since I was 14YO (I'm 69). When I was young, I pretty much rode it like I stole it every time I was on one. i was in continual race mode. My son & I got our road race licenses when I was 58Yo, & we started doing track days in preparation to race WERA. Had a big crash at Nashville Superspeedway & got a helicopter ride to the Vanderbilt Trauma center.

That knocked the Fast out of me. I've since owned a 2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra & a 2007 Kawasaki Concours, both extremely fast bikes. I realized that I never rode them fast anymore. I rarely got the Concours over 3500RPM, with a redline around 9000. What I know now is, I don't have to have the fastest, because I don't ride like that anymore. The articles, including road tests on the new Bonneville T120 are incredible. I think that's the bike for me, but I have equal respect for the T100, especially this gorgeous Red & Black one on this thread.

P.S. the Nortons were always a lot faster than the Triumphs, but the Triumphs handled better.

Hey Max.... I'm also 69+, been there, done that. Every time out with guys it turned into a race. After coming back from Tahoe at speeds well over 100 mph.... with my wife on the back, she just said one thing.. "That was too fast". I agreed, sold the XR Suzuki and NEVER did that stupid stuff again. Now I just enjoy a nice easy ride. The T100 is perfect for that... and, if I want kick it up just a little, there is enough there to enjoy without being crazy.

Hopefully it doesn't have a Lucus electrical system.

Back in the 60's when I was young and stupid and road motorcycles, all my friends with Brit. bikes always had trouble with the Lucus systems. I road HD's which had there own set of problems.

Back in the 60's when I was young and stupid and road motorcycles, all my friends with Brit. bikes always had trouble with the Lucus systems. I road HD's which had there own set of problems.

Like a suicide clutch Whoooo Baby! But DANG it was Fun!

I had a Norton 750 Commando back in the day....it had the Lucas "electrics" there is a reason Lucas was the Prince of Darkness.. I too pushed it as much as I rode it...plus the added benefit of an upside down and backwards gearbox....yes the new ones are much better...you will be happy.