SASS Wire Forum

OT a bit: any recommendations on dive knife?

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Sis is going scuba diving someplace nice and warm.

She wants me to help pick a dive knife.

Other than being much for Titanium I know little about this.

My last dive certification ended in the Carter administration.

any pm from military pards welcome, plenty of empty pm space.

And thanks aheadotime.

Best

CR

I have used this for a dive/boat knife for many years.

Very pleased with it.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SPFB23PBBK/spyderco-fb23pbbk-aqua-salt-fixed-h1-black-plain-blade-frn-handles-polymer-sheath

OLG

A couple of my buddies dive and they swear by the Benchmade Dive knives. They can be had for around $100 on Amazon or Ebay. The yellow handled Benchmade is the one that one of my friend's says he likes as he has dropped his and had to find it on the bottom. I guess he lost one or two that way. I do not dive so I am only going by what my friends said.

http://www.benchmade.com/h2o-fixed-family.html

Titanium would be the preferred material, DO NOT GET TITANIUM COATED. Steel blades and titanium coated blades will need to be oiled and coated with silicone to keep them from rusting. On the coated blades the titanium will come off and hide rusting. Avoid them like the plague.

One with a flat pry-bar like tip is extremely helpful. I would also get one with serrations on the back and a line cutter. Some dive operations will not allow a spear pointed tip, but those are great to have when spear fishing. Having the ability to remove the handle is good as you can clean the blade a lot easier. Many have a metal pommel on the handle, these make great signaling device when tapped on the tank. They can be heard from far away underwater.

Long blades are better for spear fishing, but short blades can be mounted to the BC and are extremely handy. Also, bright colors are great if they are dropped.

• Like 1

My experience is don't spend more than your willing to lose when it's stolen from your baggage. I've lost 4 dive knives in 10 years - all taken while in the custody of the airlines during international dive trips. Those were all larger, leg mounted sheaths.

I always dive with two. The other is a smaller one mounted on the left strap of my BC where I can grab it with either hand. Always titanium.

Edited by Ozark Shark

Chili Ron,

I would Google "best dive knives" and search Scuba sites for their recommendations and the pick a couple knives and do a search for reviews on them for forums discussing those knives. One Keyshaw knife in particular that is offered for sale as a "great buy" from a Scuba site actually gets terrible reviews on forums.

This might help but like I said, I am no diver. Just trying to help.

I always used cheap, losing knifes is easy. Keep it sharp the function of a dive is to free you from some unknown hazard

• Like 1

Maybe not a true dive knife, but my favorite blade, would not hesitate to take it diving (although I only snorkel). Goes everywhere I can't take a gun, lives in my bug out bag. One I want if TSHTF.

JHC

http://www.coldsteel.com/recon-tanto-in-san-mai-iii.html

Nothing wrong with stainless. Used them for years. I'd hate to lose a Titanium knife.

And they do het lost!

Howdy,

Ive been known to carry a tanto stainless folder, straight I tend to Puma.

Since this will be only occasional used I think stainless would be fine.

Unless Ti is found more reasonable.

Mission makes some interesting ones too.

Best

CR

I spent nearly 20 years as a PADI Divemaster and instructor. Dive knives were often one of the first things new divers wanted to buy. Here are some tips I always offered:

1) A dive knife is a tool not a weapon.

2) A pointed knife will become a blunt tip eventually by breaking the tip. Buy a blunt tip to begin with.

3) Skin becomes very soft when submerged and pointy bits poke holes in soft skin easily. Buy a blunt tip knife.

4) Holes poked in skin cause blood to leak out. This is not desirable in the ocean. The ocean is loaded with bacteria and there are fishes that are attracted to blood that cause problems with humans. Buy a blunt tip knife.

5) You do not have to outswim a shark, just your dive buddy. Use your knife as you will.

I spent nearly 20 years as a PADI Divemaster and instructor. Dive knives were often one of the first things new divers wanted to buy. Here are some tips I always offered:

1) A dive knife is a tool not a weapon.

2) A pointed knife will become a blunt tip eventually by breaking the tip. Buy a blunt tip to begin with.

3) Skin becomes very soft when submerged and pointy bits poke holes in soft skin easily. Buy a blunt tip knife.

4) Holes poked in skin cause blood to leak out. This is not desirable in the ocean. The ocean is loaded with bacteria and there are fishes that are attracted to blood that cause problems with humans. Buy a blunt tip knife.

5) You do not have to outswim a shark, just your dive buddy. Use your knife as you will.

EXACTLY! Navy SEALS need pointy knives. Nobody else does. Edited by Utah Bob #35998