SASS Wire Forum

Shelves are filling up again

Took a stroll through Cabela's yesterday, and the difference from last October was staggering.

Row after row of ammo, in every size, shape and maker (except .22s, which are still thin)

Full gun racks (except percussion pistols, which I attribute to the Christmas rush)

An actual SALE on .223/5.56 - which may be related to the new AR15 ban in MA, and an unanticipated resulting overstock.

Just about every other shooting related item in fully stocked shelves (including powders, bullets and brass).

And a full parking lot.

I haven't felt this hopeful in years.

LL

Plenty of S/G shells here, .45 ACP and the "tiny" ACPs, but VERY few .22s of any sort. The .22s available are the 50 count std vel @ 4.95 ea. No Joy yet here.

Al

We've had plenty of .22 LR at work, just not always the selection you might want. I was excited last week when we got in some .22 WMR.I hadn't seen any in months. I had an older gentleman pick up a Ruger LCR in .22 WMR for his wife, despite us not having any. I took the time to call him when it came in, and when he came in he brought me some venison summer sausage.

I've been buying all my .22 online for 4.00 a box of 50, shipped. Hasn't been too much in stores. I got a Bass Pro shop gift card for Christmas so I will have to go in there soon to look around.

I've been buying all my .22 online for 4.00 a box of 50, shipped. Hasn't been too much in stores. I got a Bass Pro shop gift card for Christmas so I will have to go in there soon to look around.

Slim. Its not easy finding 22lr ammo at Bass Pro. I always check the one in Manteca. When it does come in theres a 4 box limit. People actually grab more than they could buy and hide it around the store only to come back and purchase them later. I once found two boxes hiding under some rifle cases. Yes I bought them.

I've never been inside a cabrlas. I think my wife is afraid if I go in I won't ever come back out. Glad to see that things are looking good.

Hmmm...come to think of it, there's cots to sleep on, jerky and survival food to eat, camp stoves to cook, a fish pond in which to catch dinner, and more ammo and targets than you could ever use up.....you may be on to something!!!

LL

I've never been inside a cabrlas. I think my wife is afraid if I go in I won't ever come back out. Glad to see that things are looking good.

You should go. Just like a BASS PRO except the Cabela's quality is better.

You should go. Just like a BASS PRO except the Cabela's quality is better.

That's what my wife is afraid of. I went to the Manteca bass pro once and was about four hours late after that. Besides, with a cabelas credit card I could stay even longer. I've already spent a small fortune online shopping.

I was at Cabela's in Tualatin Oregon a couple of times over the past 2 weeks and Loophole is right. Lots more powders and such. There was a nice selection of .22 and .22 WMR but none of the higher quality stuff in .22LR. Mostly oddly named plinking fodder and some CCI standard velocity.

I have shopped at many different Bass Pros and Cabela's. Each business has it's strong points. Bass Pro = Fishing, Cabela's = hunting and shooting. I really hope they both don't muck it all up with this merger. I love the Gun Library at Cabela's. In regards to Cabela's clothing versus Bass Pro's it's a draw. Camping and such, samey-same.

Since Bass Pro bought Cabela's, which I find to be odd - thought Cabela's would have bought BP, I truly hope the Gun Library stays put. It's my main attraction when I go to Cabela's.

We have a new Cabelas in Avon, north of here.

Nice place.

Planning to go back!

I don't think the deal is a done thing yet. We've heard a possibility of Cabela's dragging their feet.

A month ago I was in the Cabelas in Rogers Minnesota and visited a good bit with one of the guys on the floor. He said Bass Pro had already been in and instated employee policies and had plans to greatly expand that store. One main expansion planned was boat sales. He was upbeat and optimistic about the change pointing out that Bass Pro was privately owned vs some holding company.

It looks like maybe your source is better than mine.

I had heard the main stumbling block was the loss of jobs at Cabela's main location in Nebraska.

It looks like maybe your source is better than mine.

I had heard the main stumbling block was the loss of jobs at Cabela's main location in Nebraska.

I suspect it was a matter of prospective. The guy I talked with was optimistic because they were going to expand that store. And he speculated better working conditions. I guess if you had a good management job at Cabal's headquarters and could see the chopping block in your future, you may not be so happy.

My family and I had to drop grandma Cassidy at the airport in Denver the day after Christmas. On the way back, we decided to stop at the Cabela's. I saw what you saw -- tons of ammo, reloading components, etc. They even had some brand new .35 Remington brass, so I gobbled up a bag of it. That stuff is hard to find. Word on the street is Hornady makes only one run a year, so if you shoot it and see some, buy it.

Cabelas is generally overpriced. However their clothing is very high quality and easily lasts three times longer than other brands.

But here is a secret to getting good deals. Get a Cabelas credit card which makes you a Cabelas Club member. You will start getting flyers in the mail for discounts on merchandise. This month I received three flyers saving 10, 15 and 20% off. The real trick is too combine the flyer with merchandise that is on sale. I do this regularly with ammunition and have saved a bundle.

In addition you earn Cabela Bucks every time you use the card. I brought a used revolver last year at a After Christmas Sale using my saved bucks and got a heck of deal.

Use the card, pay the balance off each month and watch those Cabela Bucks add up.

Cabelas is generally overpriced. However their clothing is very high quality and easily lasts three times longer than other brands.

But here is a secret to getting good deals. Get a Cabelas credit card which makes you a Cabelas Club member. You will start getting flyers in the mail for discounts on merchandise. This month I received three flyers saving 10, 15 and 20% off. The real trick is too combine the flyer with merchandise that is on sale. I do this regularly with ammunition and have saved a bundle.

In addition you earn Cabela Bucks every time you use the card. I brought a used revolver last year at a After Christmas Sale using my saved bucks and got a heck of deal.

Use the card, pay the balance off each month and watch those Cabela Bucks add up.

Exactly what I've been doing for the last ten years or so, except for paying the whole thing off of course. That's always easier said than done. If you use it for all your credit card needs, then you really build up the points.