SASS Wire Forum

Kind of OT: Chest rig for Ruger Vaquero 7.5"

Pat Riot

I have been looking for a way to carry one of my Vaqueros while out hunting and motorcycling the back roads and trails. I thought about a shoulder rig or a cross-draw holster but I am nor sure that would work for me.

Has anyone ever tried one of those "chest" rigs for carrying a big revolver and if so, what rig and how did it work for you?

Thank you,

Pat Riot

I will vouch for simplyrugged.com I have two of their holsters. Nothing fancy, they just do the job.

I used a "Uncle Mikes" bandolier for a Ruger Super Redhawk 454. It worked ok, but if I didn't use the flap with it I had to be very careful when bending over or the gun wanted to fall out. Was reasonably comfortable though for carrying the weight.

Check out the Kenai from GunfightersINC.

I use one for my 4" 629, best rig I've used for a heavy revolver.

http://gunfightersinc.com/products/kenai-chest-holster/

Bear

Note: I am NOT trying to sell you anything! After 41 years of making hunting holsters for myself and customers, including a Professional Hunter (Africa), who packed a Freedom Arms .454 Casull with a scope, I am convinced that anything that is supported by straps across the shoulders is not what you want for a day's hunting. I have even conducted treadmill tests comparing shoulder/chest rigs with a properly designed belt holster. The latter wins hands-down. What sort of a design? Well, a crossdraw with a 27 deg. off-vertical cant worn on a 2 to 2-1/2 inch belt is supported by the hips and thighbones. But, you say, my...ah, uh...girth makes a crossdraw inconvenient. Then the way to wear it is butt-forward on your stronghand side. To keep the gun in the holster even doing summersaults, a thumb-break half-flap works. If weather is a concern, then a full flap can be used. If properly designed, different flap styles can be interchangeable by means of screwposts on the body side of the holster. That is the way I carried my Ruger Flattop for years when I went hunting. The cant allows the gun to snuggle up whether on horseback, in a stand, or, I suppose on a motorcycle. Oh, yes, NEVER have an open-bottom holster! In case you fall in dirt, mud or snow, you could wind up with a barrel full of crud!

If you want to see a picture of such a rig, PM me.

Chose whatever vendor you may want. This is just MHO.

Happy New Year, Pards!

I use a Galco left hand draw shoulder holster .

The best system out there IMHO.

Left had so you can pull the gun wile still running the Throttle right handed 😎

Wow, you all are way better than Google :DThank you.

I will look into these. I will have to wait until tonight because the "censors" at work won't let me access the sites...I am lucky I get away with coming here...nudge, nudge, wink, wink.. ;)

Trailrider, thank you for taking the time. I will think about what you said above. Maybe a good holster might work but I am leaning toward the chest rig. I know that I do not want to carry using my Cowboy rig(s). I like your point about the open bottomed holster.

This rig / holster set up would be for walking, riding the motorcycle and going off roading in my truck. I used to carry a short barreled .357 when out and about in NC but the .357 just ain't enough juice for some of the critters one may encounter here in the Northwest. I will not be horseback so the clippity clop, up and and down motion will not be bouncing the gun against my rib cage. I want to be able to draw the gun seated in my truck or on the bike with ease. Also, when I hunt I usually do not carry a back pack. I carry pack belt set up that restricts what I can have around my waist.

I will look at all your suggestions tonight when Big Brother isn't watching...

I have a Cordura canvas chest holster that fits a Thompson Center 14 inch barrel w/scope attached. This is a very comfortable carry mode, for a quite heavy, scoped, pistol. A 7-1/2 inch Blackhawk or Vaquero would fit nicely in the model made for a non-scoped T.C. handgun, with approx. 3 inches to spare. (The differernce in actions would take up the additional length).

It is open at the bottom, but that could easily be sewn shut, and has a snap open retaining strap at the top. Easily adapted to a Single action Revolver, particularly the longer barreled ones.

Not to dispute Trailriders assessment of chest holsters, as that's his personal opinion, but my experience with my chest holster is exactly opposite of what he has expressed. I really like it. I have carried a 14 inch 6.5 mm TCU barreled Contender w/ a 2-1/2 to 7 powered Burris LER scope for many a mile in it, and have found it very manageable for the long barreled Contender.

RBK

Howdy,

Once upon a time I had a ten inch super Blackhawk with an uncle mike rig.

I used it for a little hunting and plinking and a friend gave it a try and

one thing led to another and he got it away from me, I did ok, no big regret.

Now I didn't use it day after day and week after week, so maybe you need to

ask how much you will use it and how much you want to spend.

I found the uncle mike rig reasonable price and so did my friend.

Just about then I joined sass and that was that.

The uncle mike rig was just black nylon, durable and not expensive.

If you want hand tooled leather that's a whole different game.

That whole deal trailrider has sounds interesting and is 20 years to late for me.

Best

CR

I always thought the Wyoming Combination holster was a neat concept and good-lookin to boot. Can be worn in four positions; cross-draw, strong-side, shoulder, and chest .

1vonreasonable.jpg.w300h409.jpg

http://www.ringlercustomleather.com/id59.html

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins

Well, it looks like I have some research to do after looking over all of these suggestions. I have to say that the Diamond D Guides Choice set up looks most appealing overall but I need to look the others over to be sure. I will skip the Uncle Mike's rigs as they all appear to be made for scoped handguns and they do not look to be a long term use item. I have used Uncle Mike's products in the past and they are adequate but I want something that gives years of service. I also like the Simply Rugged, Ted Blocker, and the Ringler Leather options as well but I haven't ruled out Trailrider's suggestion either. Like I said. I have some research to do.

One thing I'd like to mention is I am no longer an in shape guy, shape as in "round" - Round is a shape. :P I have trimmed down quite a bit. I was 300 pounds a year and a half ago and I am now 205 and working towards 180 or so. Some rigs are good if your trim and others if you are "in shape". The Guide's Choice looks like it will work and it doesn't require attaching to a belt.

It's really too bad I can't try some of these on. That would tell the tale.

And leave it to Tennessee Stud to add some levity. Ya gotta love that guy. :lol:

Thank you all very much for your help. I do appreciate it.

I always thought the Wyoming Combination holster was a neat concept and good-lookin to boot. Can be worn in four positions; cross-draw, strong-side, shoulder, and chest .

1vonreasonable.jpg.w300h409.jpg

http://www.ringlercustomleather.com/id59.html

excellent idea and product. I have one for OS FA 454 and one for scoped FA.

Well, it looks like I have some research to do after looking over all of these suggestions. I have to say that the Diamond D Guides Choice set up looks most appealing overall but I need to look the others over to be sure. I will skip the Uncle Mike's rigs as they all appear to be made for scoped handguns and they do not look to be a long term use item. I have used Uncle Mike's products in the past and they are adequate but I want something that gives years of service. I also like the Simply Rugged, Ted Blocker, and the Ringler Leather options as well but I haven't ruled out Trailrider's suggestion either. Like I said. I have some research to do.

One thing I'd like to mention is I am no longer an in shape guy, shape as in "round" - Round is a shape. :P I have trimmed down quite a bit. I was 300 pounds a year and a half ago and I am now 205 and working towards 180 or so. Some rigs are good if your trim and others if you are "in shape". The Guide's Choice looks like it will work and it doesn't require attaching to a belt.

It's really too bad I can't try some of these on. That would tell the tale.

And leave it to Tennessee Stud to add some levity. Ya gotta love that guy. :lol:

Thank you all very much for your help. I do appreciate it.

Hey, Pat!

Once I am a little bit more mobile, we could meet up at a Canby monthly match (or elsewhere in the Valley) ... I have a representative mix of various types of shoulder/Huckleberry rigs you are welcome to try out.

PWB

Hey, Pat!

Once I am a little bit more mobile, we could meet up at a Canby monthly match (or elsewhere in the Valley) ... I have a representative mix of various types of shoulder/Huckleberry rigs you are welcome to try out.

PWB

That would be a great help. Thanks very much. But more importantly, you worry about getting back on your feet and running and then we can do that. I am in no hurry.

Best regards,

PR