SASS Wire Forum

Case cleaning problem

El Viejo Lobo

When I was reloading commercially, tumblers where something that would break down.

I ran 4 tumblers 3 hours per day. (used a mechanical timer on a plug strip)

I tried different brands.

Gem Stone was a good one but the company closed.

I tired all the Dillon, Frankford Arsenal, Midway, and other known manufacturers.

Then I tried one from Harbor Freight.

I have been I have two harbor Freight and two Lyman Turbo Twin tumblers.

I learned quickly that it was cheaper to replace the broken tumblers with new ones.

I did replace three motors and they ran about a couple of months before failing again.

The four tumblers I have, have ran 4 to5 days a week and maybe 6 years before I closed the business.

They are still in the shop for personal use.

Central Machine tumbler

The only thing I dislike about this tumbler is the bolt through the lid is metric.

It was hard to find a rubber thumb nut to replace the wing nut.

I finally gave up and use the metal wing nut that came with the tumblers.

Lyman Turbo Twin

If you watch these at the different shooting suppliers, they go on sale for 2 for one every so often.

Edited by Cliff Hanger #3720LR

I just wore out my second case tumbler this year. My first was a Frankfort Armory and the second an RCBS. Both were used heavily and suffer the loss of the same upper bearing. Anyone have better luck with other brands?

If you buy a Lyman, keep the bowl from the FA. It works better for me than the Lyman bowl.

I've been using a Thumler Model B Rotary Tumbler with stainless media to wet tumble a couple of batches of brass a week for the last 5 years. It still looks and runs like new. Hasn't required maintenance beyond normal cleaning and lube.

Been running an RCBS vibratory bowl heavily for about 8 years now. The trick on that one (and most others) - at least each year, take the darn thing apart, clean and lube the bronze bushings with a good lube (Royal Purple gun oil is what I have used), blow out all the media dust, then reassemble all the stinking little screws and bolts.

When it slows a little, it's time for the clean and lube. Put that off, and the bearing and then motor will burn up.

Good luck, GJ

I've been running a Thumbler's tumbler for more than thirty years. I ran dry media for the first twenty years or so. Tried the ceramicmedia then went to SS pins and never looked back. Well worth the investment!

JA

I just wore out my second case tumbler this year. My first was a Frankfort Armory and the second an RCBS. Both were used heavily and suffer the loss of the same upper bearing. Anyone have better luck with other brands?

Lobo, I had a motor go out on a Frankfort, went to an RCBS and the motor mounting holes broke out. Now I put them together and have a Frankenstien tumbler. May try a Thumblers when this breaks.

Randy

RCBS stuff is usually under guarantee. If you give them a call they may replace it free.

RCBS stuff is usually under guarantee. If you give them a call they may replace it free.

Not the motors on vibratory cleaners, unfortunately. They source them out of China and know how fast they will go out.

Good luck, GJ

I've been using a Thumler Model B Rotary Tumbler with stainless media to wet tumble a couple of batches of brass a week for the last 5 years. It still looks and runs like new. Hasn't required maintenance beyond normal cleaning and lube.

+1, I just got one, it is much better made than any of the cheap knock-offs and it's made in USA....

No surprise that vibration kills the bearings after a while.

The rotarys with stainless pins are hard to beat for longevity as the bearings just rotate instead of being pounded by an out of balance situation to cause vibration.

Especially when loaded heavily.

Eventually blew out all of my vibratory tumblers but one tiny one.I am now a confirmed Thumler user.

I shoot SASS matches two to four times each month, shoot bullseye weekely, BPCR, teach CCW and demonstrate and practice a lot. The Thumlers can't be beat. :)

My RCBS was from 1986. For the cost of shipping there they got it working fine again several times. I only use it for tumbling off case lube now.

Have a heavy duty tumbler for pins and ceramic.

Mine leaks so bad that I don't like to use it. Any suggestions?

Mine leaks so bad that I don't like to use it. Any suggestions?

I am a little surprised by that , Noz. I have one that I have been using for about 30 years , still doesn't leak. I did change the motor , but still have the original rubber liner and lid gasket. I will consider myself lucky.

My first guess would be try to get a new gasket and/or liner.

Rex :D