SASS Wire Forum

Shipping a shotgun

Hoss

Sold a shotgun, shipping to another state. I know I have to ship to an FFL. My question is who us cheaper, USPS, Ups, Fed-Ex?

Verify that the FFL will accept a shipment from a non-FFL. I've read many times that some FFL's won't accept them even though there's no federal law requiring it. Seems stupid to me, but hey, the last time I checked, I found that I don't know everything. :P

I agree. While it's legal for an individual to ship to a FFL holder, many FFLicensees won't accept such shipments. Check with the buyer's FFL to be sure. Be sure to include a copy of your driver's license and who the buyer is (ask the receiving FFL what he wants you to included in the package),

Shipping via US Postal Service, Priority Mail is usually cheaper. Check with your own FFL to see if (all things considered) it's cheaper to use your FFL to ship. He's probably gonna ship USPS anyway.

You won't know or understand this stuff unless you ask and do your own research.

Edited by Cat Brules, SASS #14086

Have a copy of the FFL license it package and another when you go to post office. It's perfectly legal to send it through the post office. I send them all the time.

Is it a SxS ? If so, break it down, pack it in box with NO markings on the box that will let anyone know what it is. I have accepted transfers from non FFL's before, but I insist on a copy of the shippers Drivers License and ALL contact information. When I ship to another FFL, I ask for a copy of his license that will have all of that info on it before shipping. The Post office is the cheapest way to go and I have shipped to FFL's and received quite a few from non FFLs and FFLs as well. Never had a problem. The Post Office seldom asks what you're shipping. If they do just tell them it's a disassembled shotgun going to a dealer or gunsmith. As long as it's not explosive, corrosive, or flammable they don't much care.

Edited by Charlie Whiskers

ALSO, if you err and tell the postal employee that there's a firearm in the package (they don't need to know exactly what the package contains, even if they ask), I urge you to just leave and go to a different branch. If a USPS employee tells you it's against USPS rules to ship, or just doesn't accept firearms, they are wrong. Individuals may not ship handguns, but rifles and shotguns are okay. The Postmaster should be able to sort it out. But, just don't get into that box. I advise you never reveal a package contents. So, if they do ask, don't tell.

Cat Brules, SASS #14086, on 26 Dec 2016 - 11:16 PM, said:

ALSO, if you err and tell the postal employee that there's a firearm in the package (they don't need to know exactly what the package contains, even if they ask), I urge you to just leave and go to a different branch. If a USPS employee tells you it's against USPS rules to ship, or just doesn't accept firearms, they are wrong. Individuals may not ship handguns, but rifles and shotguns are okay. The Postmaster should be able to sort it out. But, just don't get into that box. I advise you never reveal a package contents. So, if they do ask, don't tell.

Good advice. You can also tell then it's a machined tool. Not lying, just not telling them what kind of tool it is.

Good advise, until the shipment is lost and you have to file the claim ( if you insured it )

If you didn't follow the rules or fill out the paper work correctly, they will deny.

Note: I do not know what would happen if you claimed machined parts.

I DO know what happens when you claim a shotgun.

I DO know that when you file the claim you will have to divulge what was in the box and show something that proves its value.

Good advise, until the shipment is lost and you have to file the claim ( if you insured it )

If you didn't follow the rules or fill out the paper work correctly, they will deny.

I DO know that when you file the claim you will have to divulge what was in the box and show something that proves its value.

+1000

Appalachian Alan, on 27 Dec 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:Appalachian Alan, on 27 Dec 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

Boggus Deal #64218, on 27 Dec 2016 - 08:57 AM, said:

+1000

I've shipped quite a few rifles and shotguns through the Post Office. NOT 1 asked what was in the box other than was it corrosive, explosive or flammable. When I insure it I give the value and still have not had anyone ask what it is. Maybe where you mail from the counter folks are nosier than the 2 PO's I go through here. Plus they each have a copy of my FFL on file so they know or are pretty sure it's a firearm. The UPS stores are the dumb as a post ones to deal with. The manager of the one I've dealt with will ship firearms, but he doesn't remember to tell his new employees when they get hired. I quit going there and pretty much stay with the PO for shipping.

Edited by Charlie Whiskers

I have always told the Post Office if I was shipping a rifle or shotgun (non FFL can't ship a handgun through the PO) and usually get told I can't do do that and I politely tell them I can and to check their regulations. Be prepared for the counter person not to know. So far all have either checked or asked the Postmaster and I haven't had any real problem

Randy

It has been a while since my shotgun was stolen by the post office.

I do not remember if I had to mention what it was when I shipped it or when I filed the claim.

If the shipping part does not ask what it is, then fine. Just make sure you followed all regulations that are in the book.

If you ever make a claim, more than likely it will get denied because it is a gun. Then you will have to reclaim showing them their own regulations.

But if you followed all regulations, they will pay.

Hope you never have to.

That said, you are supposed to tell UPS driver also, but I have not done that. Do not know what would happen during a claim since I have not lost one with them yet.

chances are that it will get there. I'm just stating what may happen if it does not.

I handle the bulk of our outgoing UPS shipments @ w**k.

Have shipped out a fair number of firearms (including The Judge & Kate's when they were flying cross country from the NW Regional to the NE Regional)

Most have been warranty returns for our regular customers.

UPS regs require notifying the driver that the package contains a firearm.

Most of the local drivers just say, "Thought so." and carry on.

No damage claims filed in 40+ years.

I have always told the Post Office if I was shipping a rifle or shotgun (non FFL can't ship a handgun through the PO) and usually get told I can't do do that and I politely tell them I can and to check their regulations. Be prepared for the counter person not to know. So far all have either checked or asked the Postmaster and I haven't had any real problem

Randy

Yep, happened to me twice already, same post office. Even the manager had to look up the rules!!! :wacko: She actually apologized to me!

I have shipped rifles and pistols via our local FEDEX without any problems. I did however always purchase the additional insurance to cover the cost of the firearm. I didn't compare cost, they are just convenient being the closest to my home.

The man at the counter told me he is not permitted to ask what is inside of the package.

Edited by Frontier Lone Rider, SASS# 73063