SASS Wire Forum

Question for the Navy vet's

My dad was in the WWII Navy and recently, my son was asking if I had his dog tags. I have a fair amount of stuff from my dad's navy days but I don't recall ever seeing any dog tags.

My question is: Does, or did, the US Navy ever use dog tags? If not, what was the navy equivalent in WWII?

BTW, a couple of the things I have from my dad are a subpoena from Posieden(sp?) and a HUGE certificate for the order of the shellbacks or lobsterbacks or some-such signed by Davy Jones and Poseiden for crossing the equator. Does the navy still do that?

Angus

Initiations for Shell Back, (crossing equator) Blue Nose, (Arctic circle) Red Nose (Antarctic circle) and a few others were still being done in 2002. Although I doubt the ceremony looks anything like it did during my 20 years. https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/heritage/customs-and-traditions/crossing-the-line/list-of-unofficial-us-navy-certificates.html

US Navy Dog tag History https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/heritage/uniforms-and-personal-equipment/tags/usn-id-tags-dog-tags.html

Interesting read. I wonder what they used to etch the fingerprint into the metal with?

Edited by Sedalia Dave

I was issued dog tags when I enlisted in 1989.

A sailor becomes a Shellback when they cross the equator and are initiated. Until then they are lowly Pollywogs.

In years past, the Shellback initiation was quite elaborate with quite a bit of hazing.

I'm not sure what happens in today's Navy.

Dog tags were issued in 1979 in the Navy. I still have mine.

I am a Shell Back as well and I still have my signed and sealed certificate framed and on display in my home. I hung it at work for a while in the early 2000's in L.A. I got a complaint from HR to take it down as the topless mermaid was offensive. I got it re-framed in a much bigger more gawdy frame and mounted it right inside my office door for all to see visited me there. I told HR to bring me up on charges...nothing happened.

I am sure the Shell Back initiation is nothing like it was when I was in. Now they probably make lots of noise and serve cookies and kool-aid. Especially with that pansy of a CNO and that fruit-cup Sec'y of the Navy. They oughta be keel-hauled...twice...but that's just my opinion. I am sure they are really nice guys...if you like PC morons that are men in name only.

Pat Riot :FlagAm:

Dog tags were issued in 1979 in the Navy. I still have mine.

I am a Shell Back as well and I still have my signed and sealed certificate framed and on display in my home. I hung it at work for a while in the early 2000's in L.A. I got a complaint from HR to take it down as the topless mermaid was offensive. I got it re-framed in a much bigger more gawdy frame and mounted it right inside my office door for all to see visited me there. I told HR to bring me up on charges...nothing happened.

I am sure the Shell Back initiation is nothing like it was when I was in. Now they probably make lots of noise and serve cookies and kool-aid. Especially with that pansy of a CNO and that fruit-cup Sec'y of the Navy. They oughta be keel-hauled...twice...but that's just my opinion. I am sure they are really nice guys...if you like PC morons that are men in name only.

Pat Riot :FlagAm:

Please tell us how you REALLY feel about it, Pat.

Sorry...got a little carried away...

Funny thing - the old timers when you were a boot were probably saying a lot of the same things. I know the old Chiefs I served under did.

I still have one of mine from 87 - 98 I'm a blue nose USS Daniel Webster SSBN 626 ceremony was quite interesting 😄

RJ

I have my Dads tags who was a Navy WWII vet. He was a Navy Aviation ordinanceman and was on a small airstrip on Russell Island in the Solomons. He was there from Jan. 10th 1943 till half way through '44 or so. I can post a photo of them later tonight if needed.

And for Pat Riot... my Dad was also a Shellback having crossed on the way to the Solomons. His signed certificate says something to the effect of crossing during a mission of war. Love the mermaids... I don't see HR fighting you on that! :)

I have my Dads tags who was a Navy WWII vet. He was a Navy Aviation ordinanceman and was on a small airstrip on Russell Island in the Solomons. He was there from Jan. 10th 1943 till half way through '44 or so. I can post a photo of them later tonight if needed.

And for Pat Riot... my Dad was also a Shellback having crossed on the way to the Solomons. His signed certificate says something to the effect of crossing during a mission of war. Love the mermaids... I don't see HR fighting you on that! :)

I worked for the MTA in Los Angeles. HR there is, shall we say, "special"...

I became a Shell Back on my ship's return to the US after sitting in the Indian Ocean and Persian Gulf during the "Iran Hostage Crisis"....or what we called "Gonzo Station".

I caught my ship in the Philippines after they had been there for a few months. When the Virginia left Norfolk to go to the IO There were about 30 Shell Backs and about 300 Wogs.

When I came across the Equator there were about 300 Shell Backs and 30 Pollywogs. Boy, did I get my rearend beat! It didn't help that on the day before there was a Shell Back meeting on the fantail and me and a few of my buddies threw tomatoes and what was left of the fresh eggs at all the Shell Backs from the O1 level...that and we stole about 100 of the shillelaghs that they had cut up from fire hoses and threw them over the side. Me and my buddies got real special treatment the next day...HAHAHAHA

Edited by Pat Riot, SASS #13748

While I didn't have a hand in the physical actions - I did enjoy laughing at the Royal Baby after he'd been stripped and duct taped to an office chair on the flight deck. :o

The Royal Baby was a big ol' hairy BT3.

I was fortunate that I'd only been onboard for about two weeks so I didn't have anybody out to really get me.

Crossed on the East coast after finishing NEO Ops at Mamba Station in '90.