SASS Wire Forum

who makes a good 30-30 barrel?

evil dogooder

I'm toying around with the idea of rebarreling one of my rolling blocks from 45-70 to 30-30. This is just going to be a cheap plinker but i would like to get decent accuracy out of it. It's an old egyption action if that makes a difference.

Looking to keep the barrel short for a handy little brush gun. Not interested in a heavy match barrel. Ive other rifles if i want to stretch out the range. Any help would be appreciated.

How much do you want to spend? Green Mountain, Shilen, and almost all the others will carry blanks in .308, Select what shank diameter you need, profile you want, and arrange with your gunsmith will need to cut the proper threads for your action and chamber... He'll have the most affect to your accuracy depending on how well he does those tasks.

30-30 is basically 30 Caliber or .308. Any good .308 barrel with enough meat on it to chuck up for threading into your action would be just fine. Of course then you have chambering, machining for the extractor, that sort of stuff.

Coffinmaker

PS: Unfortunately I didn't actually answer the OP question. I don't currently know a good barrel guy. Although you may wish to try "the Ottaway Smith" aka: Ron Snover. I don't know if Ron is still doing barrels.

Just a thought.....

Have you found an extractor for the 30-30 rim diameter?

Note: Just saw Taylors sells these in all available calibers as well as barrels. Of course the barrel threads may be metric.....

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/rolling-block-carbine-hunting.html

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins

If you don't know a real top notch gunsmith, that rebarrels, and blueprints action all the time, you're welcome to call mine. Shawn Thomason of Winchester Idaho, 208 924 5335. He answers his phone between 4 and 6pm on business days. He's done more rebarreling than I can count for dad and I, and our friends. He's not out to knife anyone, and does top notch work. Bench guns, hunting rifles, long range guns, you name it. Give him a call. He's down to earth, and great to talk with. He gives you a ton of options, and builds them how you want.

Call CPA - they have barrels - chamber reamers and have been putting the quality blanks on their Stevens 44 1/2 for decades !

They will do your Rolling Block also

CPA Corporation
419 Emery Road
Dingmans Ferry, PA 18328
Phone: 1-570-828-1669
Fax: 1-570-828-8333

Email: info@cparifles.com Edited by John Boy

Track of the Wolf has .308 barrel liners for $5.89 per inch, 8 inch minimum.

The 'smith process would to drill out the existing barrel to 1/2", install the tube (glue or silver solder), cut the chamber and the extractor groove.

You could the barrel length as desired.

The forearm would fit the original barrel, and the rifle would better than the RB on Dixiegunworks.com that soemone installed a 1903 .30-06 barrel.

Track of the Wolf has .308 barrel liners for $5.89 per inch, 8 inch minimum.

The 'smith process would to drill out the existing barrel to 1/2", install the tube (glue or silver solder), cut the chamber and the extractor groove.

Except the existing chamber on that .45-70 barrel has a diameter of .504, leaving the liner hanging in mid air at the bolt face end of the chamber.....

Good luck, GJ