SASS Wire Forum

Anyone ever ask the ATF to classify one of their guns to a C&R

Wild Willi

I have a couple of engraved guns I would like to get classified as a C&R. I know you have to write a letter to the Technology Branch of the ATF. But do ypu send the pictures , how many. I would not think they would wnat you sending guns to them but I am sure they would want to see how these guns are special??

I have a couple of engraved guns I would like to get classified as a C&R. I know you have to write a letter to the Technology Branch of the ATF. But do ypu send the pictures , how many. I would not think they would wnat you sending guns to them but I am sure they would want to see how these guns are special??

You have to send the guns to them:

ATF&E Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division (FATD) for a formal classification.

FATD

244 Needy Rd.,

Martinsburg, WV 25404

Our Division does not make determinations based on drawings, photographs, written descriptions, or diagrams. In order to render an appropriate classification, please ship the physical item and any supporting information to the address above.

Please ship your item to FATD with a prepaid return shipping label with tracking for the return of your item (providing shipping account numbers, instead of providing a trackable prepaid shipping label, will not be accepted).

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics

Edited by McCandless

I suggest that you locate (Google) the nearest (to you) BATFE office (call during regular business hours) and discuss with a AGENT to see what he says, including how long their examination will take and how long it would take to have your firearms returned to you. Also ask what fees are involved. That's what I would do.

I'm under the understanding that any firearm, older then 50 years from the current date is a C&R firearm. So if the gun was manufactured on or before 12/24/1966 it is a C&R - as in if you have a C&R license your FFL is good to use for transfers. There is no actual determination needed. Although some "modern" firearms - those made in the last 50 years can be classified as C&R, they generally are not if they were any type of a current production firearm that was made in large quantities. The only real benefit would be that you could sell it as a C&R firearm - but I don't see that as a big deal. Perhaps some state law is in the way in this case? Curious is all - good luck and Merry Christmas.