SASS Wire Forum

Dec.23rd 1964

twelve mile REB

As a young Marine I was very pleased when it was announced we would get a 96 hour pass for Christmas. The first shirt was a good guy and set it up so we could squeeze another few hours out of it by giving us until formation on the 28th. I was stationed at Camp Pendleton CA. and decided to go home for Christmas by flying standby, PFC's don't have much money that late in the month. So there I am a skinny little kid in Marine Greens watching planes leave LA with full loads but not me. About noon a flight attendant approached me and asked if I was going to Portland and of course I was. She told me she had a seat but I would have to be very quite. I followed her onto the plane and there in the middle seat of the front row of coach was James Coburn he looked up grunted and moved to the window seat putting the papers he had in the middle seat. The attendant indicated I should sit so I did. As I sat Mr. Coburn said kid I've got to do a couple of scenes tomorrow morning and I want to be home for Christmas so welcome aboard and don't bother me I want to do this as quick as I can. The plane stopped in Portland and then continued on to Seattle, he had kept his nose in the script the whole way except twice when someone asked him to sign a napkin which he did after landing in Portland I thanked him and we shook hands. Why he was in coach rather than first or if he offered the seat to me or the flight attendant asked him for it, I never knew. I always been grateful to Mr. Coburn and the United flight attendant for getting me home for Christmas and proud of the Christmas spirit that lead people to be kind to a 17 year old Marine.

Kinda same for me. AIT back at Christmas 70 and none of us had any vacation due yet. But they wanted to close the base down for a week and granted us that 9 day vacation which would count against us that coming year. Made special flights out of the base and off home we went. My next Christmas home would be 73 and that Christmas Eve I proposed to my wife.

I got drafted on Dec 10, 1963 in Los Angeles. Was sent to Ft. Polk, La. for basic. After 2 weeks of basic, post shut down for Christmas, Even tho we had no accrued leave, everyone was given 10 days leave. If you didn't take it, you would be on KP or guard duty for that time. I took leave and they put us on a troop train going to Los Angeles. There were a lot of men who had finished Basic & AIT and were headed to NAM after Christmas. Went to Okla City, then to Dallas and then west. After 3 days I got off in Gallup, NM and caught a flight to LA. Spent a few days at home with family and my fiancé and then flew back. I was a slick sleeve private with 2 weeks of basic who didn't know squat about the Army. Flew standby and luckily the checkin agent got me a seat in 1st Class to Shreveport, La, then got a bus back to Polk.

That was an adventure..........