SASS Wire Forum

Whiskey advice

Noz

I see a Crown Royal Rye in Christmas present displays. Is it any good? Remember I am an Irish drinker.

Back in my drinking days, DalMor and Balveney scotch worked for me.

Tried the CR rye recently, pretty mild flavor, nothing to really distinguish itself.

Make mine Glenfidich or Balveny

Regards

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Not a big bourbon fan. That said, bottles of Basil Hayden do follow me home on occasion.

Has anyone tried Angel's Envy bourbon?

Thanks Slim, and to you and your's.

Edited by Noz

Whisky or Whiskey? Without breaking the bank MaCallan 12 yr and Bulleit Rye or Bourbon. A second chance for whiskey would be Rebel Yell.....yeah its cheaper but its quality stuff.

The Scots spell whisky without the E.

Look into Thumb Butte Distillery in Prescott, AZ. They have a number of highly rated liquors... like Escalante dark rum... and others that are rated very well.

• Like 1

And then there is orange juice.

Add a little Tito's Vodka and it makes a pretty good drink.

Should you really like to present yourself with a remarkable rye whisky, Noz, bring home a bottle of Knob Creek rye.

For you bourbon advocates, be sure you buy for your cabinet... and your sipping enjoyment... the Knob Creek bourbon.

• Like 1

I was sent to WalMart today so I came home with the big bottle of Jameson. Looked at the Knob Creek Rye but decided to go with what I know.

Canadian whiskey is blended whiskey and was traditionally called "rye" in Canada (I have a lot of Canadian relations), but it was not rye whiskey-- i.e., straight whiskey made with a mostly-rye mash (rye the grain, that is). "Rye" back then to a Canadian meant, simply, Canadian whiskey.

Nowadays, with craft distilling, there are a lot of true rye whiskeys being made, whereas before, there were very few; Old Overholt being the main one.

So when one hears Canadian whiskey now being called "rye", I'd want to be sure it was truly a rye whiskey.....not just the old nickname back for marketing purposes.

Edited by Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619

Rye Whiskey - Knob Creek Rye is not hard to choke down. :lol: Prefer Russell's Reserve 6 year old, though.

Ditto the remarks on the CR Rye - way too mild mannered - no character.

For Scotch - Talisker. No question.

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

other folks is the best :P as ya AIN'T gotta pay for it

I stay with Old Charter , 10 yo , as little as I drink , it don't cost much

CB

As the most famous man in the world once said "I don't normally drink expensive Scotch, but when I do, I drink other peoples" Stay thirsty my friends!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL :)

Edited by Cheatin Charlie

other folks is the best :P as ya AIN'T gotta pay for it

I stay with Old Charter , 10 yo , as little as I drink , it don't cost much

CB

Me and Blackwater have plans for your delicate little body come next Sept at CBAC

Edited by Noz

if you can find it,Try Michters sour mash,Very smooth

6 months ago I wasn't a whiskey drinker but this past summer I toured the Jameson factory and Guiness Brewhouse in Dublin, Ireland while on an assignment. At the end of the tour, they give you a complimentary Jameson drink with ginger ale. I'm hooked and most nights before bed I enjoy my Jameson & ginger ale as I wind down.

Rhetoric Orphan Barrel is pretty good bourbon.

For those that were asking about rye, the Woodford's Reserve is pretty tasty.

Edited by Ethan Cord

You are better off with Bourbons.

I can't stand bourbons. Have done side by side sampling and IMHO, bourbons are only fit to use as cleaning solvents.