SASS Wire Forum

fired a 686 today

Trigger Mike

thanks to a fellow cowboy I found me a S & W 686 that i once had. I fired it today and it was the first time in 20 years that i had fired one and I had forgotten how much fun they are to shoot. just to function test it i grabbed some cowboy load 38 and with the light load it was just plain fun. got some 357 for Christmas so will take her out again soon. in some ways it was more fun than shooting a semi auto pistol

Trigger Mike, that's great! I have always been partial to S&W revolvers. I have always wanted a 586. Last Christmas I decided that I would get all the S&Ws wheel guns that I have always wanted. This year I have gotten models 19, 36, 10, 17 and a 60 Pro. I already had a 442 and a 327. . The 586, 25 and 27 are in the works. These will take me a bit longer so I figure I will have them in a couple years. I passed on my S&Ws for too many years because of one reason or another but this last year I sold a bunch of safe queens to get some guns I really wanted. Oh, i also got some cowboy guns but the S&Ws were just because I wanted them. If I can't afford all 3 of the last ones I reallly want then 1 of them will do nicely. I don't want to spoil myself... ;-)

Congrats on your new toy.

Merry Christmas

My fun gun is a 657. Shoots good with fun loads or full house.

Back in the 80's I bought my Dad a 686 with a 4" barrel. Just before he passed away, he gave it back to me, telling me he wanted me to have it. I shoot it occasionally and cherish it always. Someday it will go to my son. It shoots really nice with my bulls eye .38 target loads.

I have a S&W 4" 586 and a 686 SSR. I got the first one when our club announced they were going to have a handfull of ICORE matches. It was so popular that we just went to having a match every month. I didn't anticipate how much I would enjoy the double action revolver shooting.

I will pick up a 6" gun when I run into a decent deal. My division is 6 shot revolvers with speed loaders. (Classic). The others use 8 shot revolvers with moon clips. Smokin Gator.

To my mind, nobody makes as fine of a revolver as Smith and Wesson. And today, if you can only have one of the new S&W revolvers, the 586 or 686 are tops.

Even Colt in it's best days when they were making the "snake" revolvers weren't better than S&W. And yes, I traded off a 4-inch Colt Python because I just didn't like the feel of the grips. Much preferred my S&Ws.

Three S&Ws that I no longer have but wish I had back were early 1970's Models 15 (4") "Combat Masterpiece," 17 (6") "K22 Masterpiece," and 36 (2") "Chief's Special."

Now my top pick for the best of all S&Ws ever made is: Model 19-3 or 19-4 "Combat Magnum."

I've been eyeing a new Model 60 with 3-inch barrel. But, I don't need another S&W revolver..... :blush:

Edited by Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663

The queen of the safe is my Combat Magnum model 19 series 3 w/ a 6 bbl, target trigger and hammer. Shoots better than I ever could. Closely followed by a 4 bbl model 15 Combat Masterpiece also with the wide trigger and hammer. Nowadays if you want the same quality it has to come out of their custom shop.

Two of my favorite revolvers is the S&W 617 (10 shot .22) and the 648 (.22 mag).

(I hope I got those model #'s correct).

I'm still being tempted to get another 617 every time I see one.

..........Widder

Now my top pick for the best of all S&Ws ever made is: Model 19-3 or 19-4 "Combat Magnum."

I've been eyeing a new Model 60 with 3-inch barrel. But, I don't need another S&W revolver..... :blush:

Birdgun,

I have a 19-4 with a 6" barrel. Been tempted to trade it in for a 27 or a 586 but I have a feeling I would regret that.

I have the model 60 Pro with the 3" barrel and the full length stocks. Boy is that a nice carry / kit gun. It's light and slim.

By the way, "needs" has nothing to do with it... :-)

Holy CRAP! I don't own a S&W!!! What is wrong with me?!?!

Slim, you're deprived. You are missing out on one of life's simple joys by not owning a fine S&W double action revolver.

I agree with Birdgun on this, Michigan Slim. I always liked S&W revolvers but for years I couldn't swing buying them and then when I could I got sidetracked into other firearms, be they for CAS or tactical shooting or whatever. You can find older revolvers for pretty decent prices if you shop around IF you don't have your heart set on models that are "collectibles". I use Cabela's Gun Library as my source but you can find cheaper guns at on line auctions. I just don't fool with auctions. Too iffy for me. I have bought 4 of my 7 S&Ws from Cabela's GL and I am very happy with them. I also got a Ruger Vaquero from them. Their prices are higher but I trust them and they have a 10 return policy. Search them on line and sometimes they will low ball a price on a gun for some reason and smoking deals can be had. You just need patience.

Some will tell you Cabela's is a rip off but I like 'em.

I would love to own one but it never fit my agenda at the time. Hunting, CAS and buying same for the kids. I did buy my son an M&P AR15 when he graduated high school but that doesn't count.... Someday after I put my youngest through college.

Holy CRAP! I don't own a S&W!!! What is wrong with me?!?!

I don't either, but certainly on my wish list. The question for me is 686 or 586, and 4" or 6" barrel. I might just have to get one of each

I also have another S & W revolver that I absolutely love. It is a K38 Target Masterpiece. I shoot Bulls Eye with it and have for 20 years. I have shot 1000's of rounds thru it and it still does it's job. Nothing like S& W wheel guns!

I still have the old school revolvers, shoot em and love em! Smith's, Ruger's and Colts, I got the speed loaders for em and they are not for sale. Once upon a time I went to Gunsite, they use to have a revolver school....Jeff Cooper even taught it. Maybe I am getting old. Nice to see Ruger just released a GP100 in .44 Special for us old schoolers.

I also have another S & W revolver that I absolutely love. It is a K38 Target Masterpiece. I shoot Bulls Eye with it and have for 20 years. I have shot 1000's of rounds thru it and it still does it's job. Nothing like S& W wheel guns!

Big Sage, that one is on my list as well. I missed out on a very nice model 14 with factory jeweled works all because I hesitated. Darn!

I've been looking for a s&w for a while. But only an older one. I help out at the local toy store and have seen the junk they put out now. By actual numbers 3 out of every 5 pro shop revolvers they get in go back for quality control. Its to the point that as of the new year they won't be carrying new s&w revolvers anymore.

Now they're older stuff i love to drool over. A joy to shoot

Evil,

I have 2 of the "new" S&Ws. Both have gone back. 1 is a model 60 Pro. Releasing and opening the cylinder was tough. The 327 Night Guard had a bur on the crown rifling. Both work great now but I was shocked that they needed attention for as much as they cost me.

My older ones are fantastic.

My LUST gun was and is the S&W 586 in 6 " That said I have a S&W Mod 41 5 1/2 22lr that will go to the grave with me. As far as Im concerned it is the best 22 you could get unless you want to go to Olympic grade and priced 22s.

Imis

I had a Model 19 that I sold to a friend of mine and I'ver been sorry ever since! I love the S&W revolvers, I've been looking for a 19 or 686 for my Christmas present to me!! ;)

I only have 2 S&W wheel guns. A 642 lightweight and a 29-2 with 8 3/8" barrel, scrolled cylinder, and matching S&W shoulder holster (think Dirty Harry).

586 or 686 has been on my wish list.

BS

Edited by Barry Sloe

I have a 686-6 that I love! Actually shot it yesterday at the range. Very accurate. I removed the rubber grips it came with and replaced them with a set from Altamont.

a01ae6f815d11d0e87225f81efc90398_zps0ikc

PWB,

Love it.

I've a fondness for the shorter barreled pistols such as the one you posted.

That IS a beautiful pistol.

(Years back, I bought a Ruger SBH Hunter in .45 Colt. They didn't make many of them cause the .44 Mag was more popular. Anyhow, factory barrel length was 7.5". I sent mine to Mag Na Port and cut to 5" which is flush with the ejector housing. And of course, Mag Na Ported also. When loaded up hot, the porting is a big asset.)

..........Widder

I have a 686-6 that I love! Actually shot it yesterday at the range. Very accurate. I removed the rubber grips it came with and replaced them with a set from Altamont.

Johnny Dollar,

How do you like those Altamont grips? I just bought some for one of my Vaqueros and I like them. I was thinking of getting a set similar to yours for my S&W model 19. It came with Pachmayr grips and the originals. I have the original grips on it now. Like the old Vaqueros, the grips bell at the base. I do not like that so I switched to Altamont "slim" grips. The ones you have on yours do not appear to be "belled" but appear consistently proportioned. Does the smooth front with the finger grooves give you a solid purchase on the grip?

One of my EDC firearms:

686 CS 1 (U.S. Customs) 3" bbl (Magna-Ported)

20161227_224206-S.jpg

Photo taken 15 min ago...chairside table

;)

Pale Wolf,

What grips do you have on yours? They also look like Altamonts.

Thanks,

PR

PWB,

Love it.

I've a fondness for the shorter barreled pistols such as the one you posted.

That IS a beautiful pistol.

(Years back, I bought a Ruger SBH Hunter in .45 Colt. They didn't make many of them cause the .44 Mag was more popular. Anyhow, factory barrel length was 7.5". I sent mine to Mag Na Port and cut to 5" which is flush with the ejector housing. And of course, Mag Na Ported also. When loaded up hot, the porting is a big asset.)

..........Widder

Thanks!

S%26W%20629-1-M.jpg

This 629 went from the S&W Custom Shop to Magna-Port...about the same time Lew Horton was marketing them.

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L

Johnny Dollar,

How do you like those Altamont grips? I just bought some for one of my Vaqueros and I like them. I was thinking of getting a set similar to yours for my S&W model 19. It came with Pachmayr grips and the originals. I have the original grips on it now. Like the old Vaqueros, the grips bell at the base. I do not like that so I switched to Altamont "slim" grips. The ones you have on yours do not appear to be "belled" but appear consistently proportioned. Does the smooth front with the finger grooves give you a solid purchase on the grip?

Pat, The grips are just as you described. They aren't belled and feel very good even with full house loads. I typical shoot my reloaded .38s in target shooting though. I find these grips very comfortable and easily handled even in a single handed hold. No problems with the smooth finger grooves at all.