SASS Wire Forum

Full size Ruger Vaquero short stroke

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I recently tried a pair of Bisley Vaqueros with a short stroke modification. I'm not sure which gunsmith worked on them.

These had 4(?) click action, transfer bars removed, hammers built up to strike the firing pin and light hammer and trigger springs.

I am not familiar with what is necessary to make the Vaqueros short stroke.

But are all of the above mods necessary to make the short stroke work?

Thanks in advance!

Merry Christmas,

Mustang Gregg

Sounds exactly like the way that at least West Fargo (bless him!) did short strokes on Vaqs.

The transfer bar usually comes out for lots of reasons, to increase reliability and reduce cocking force, as well as letting the stroke be shortened by moving the full-cock notch. When the transfer bar is out, then you need to extend the face of hammer to be able to hit the firing pin. Light springs are not REQUIRED, but no one wants a short-stroke that is still running heavy springs. And, the geometry of how the pawl is driven off the hammer stroke has to be modified to get complete rotation up to the next bolt lock slot. And the loading gate interlocking is usually simplified to only open on the half cock notch (if gate is opened before pulling back that short-stroke hammer, the hammer rests on firing pin and pushes it forward, possibly locking up gun via FP tip in the fired primer or catching on next cartridge rim). And a half-cock notch is added to catch hammer during a slip of the hammer during cocking. By that time, you've got four clicks (essentially simplifying the Ruger lockwork back to a Colt design).

But, yep, there's a fair amount of work on the hammer, or a completely new hammer replaces the old one. At the least.

What of the mods are you planning not to do (have done)?

Good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

I have a set from wes but Lassiter did my latest set. Ask him, I wanted the half cock so if I was to short throw it all I need to do is repull it back to the shorter position without the half cock you would have to go around and that take a lot longer

4 clicks are usually Wes flowers guns. He sadly passed away.

Everything is modified inside. Longer pawl, modified bolt, modified trigger. and if the transfer bar is removed, a hardened pin is installed or welded up hammer face. With half cock of course.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Wes was a great guy and a great gunsmith too.

I met him when I was TDY there [at the WAATS] back in 2001.

After that, we ran into each other a few times at shoots or the convention.

He did up a pair of single Six practice revolvers for us before he got very ill.

I sure miss him. :(

Mustang

Hey Boomstick...you know those two guns you short stroked for me ?

Well they're.......going bloody great mate!LOL.