SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Load?

Clay Thornton

Most individuals in our game that reload have a pet load for their pistols and rifles. Over the last year I have done the same and have what I beleive to be a great 125gr 38 special load that I will load for the foreseeable future. It is smooth, low recoil, and I could not be happier. With that being said I'm not to excited about the factory shotgun loads that are available or their price points.

My remedy is that I just bought a shotshell reloader with the purpose of cooking up a nice recipe for the other half of my ammo.

Knowing that it is not permitted to share load info on the wire I would appreciate a few PMs as a good place to start for loading a lighter 12 gauge shell with a 1oz load? Preferably shooting under 1000 fps.

I know this pops up every so often but I could not track down a recent thread. I appreciate everyone's knowledge and insight.

Have a Merry Christmas!

You won't get much lower cost loading your own shells than the pricing of factory shotshells. BUT, you can get lower recoil and the satisfaction of loading your own from cranking out shotshells. Look for the lowest price you can on shot. That is the price driver. If you have a local trap/skeet/clays club, check with them for deals on shot. Even reclaimed shot works great for SASS.

By far the easiest, widely available powder to make a low-recoil 1 ounce load is Hodgdon Clays (or Clay Dot from Alliant). Both are now starting to be available again at most vendors. Combine that with a one ounce wad and your favorite hull, and you are well on your way.

Good luck, GJ

Similar posts:

http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=256331&hl=%2Blow+%2Brecoil+%2Bshotshell#entry3330430

http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=227680&hl=%2B12+%2Bgauge+%2Blow+%2Brecoil#entry3263018

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

I like Red Dot, 7/8 oz shot, claybuster wads. cost is about 4.50/box (not counting my time) so yea, I save a few $$$$ probably 18-20/month. not a huge deal, but in 2-3 years pays for a gun!

plus, I get the satisfaction of loading my own ammo.

Check Gamaliel for shot. I just ordered 50# of #8 "Lawrence" @ $39.95 per 25# bag and shipping was $9,90 for 2 bags. They have "Eagle for I think it was $36.95 but didn't have #8

www.gamaliel.com

Edited by Eyesa Horg

Remmington STS hull, Fed or Win primers, 700X and a Claybuster 12-0175 pink wad. In a blind test they feel just like LNLR AAs. Load these for my better half.

As long as I do my part they have never failed to take care of any KD. No need to use more powder or shot than necessary to get the job done.

Published load data here

For factory loads I shoot Federal Top Gun Extra Lite Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 7/8 oz #8 Shot. They shuck reliably in both of my SXS and my 87. At $6.99 a box or less when on sale you cannot beat the price.

Mary shoots Fiocchi Lited 7/8 oz factory loads. I get her a flat when they are on sale.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3482

I've been shooting BlackMZ all of 2016 but loaded up some 15 boxes of smokless just for practice ammo. AA hulls, Claybuster 178 wads, 7/8 shot, Red Dot. It's Doc Hurd'S secret recipe. The hulls fly out of his double like they are spring loaded.

If you live close to Omaha, Nebraska check at Gun's Unlimited located at 120th and I Street. They support (components) Trap and Skeet shooters in the area. Hulls, various wads, powder, lead and primers. From my last supply run they give volume discounts: 4 bags of lead, case of wads, etc.

Edited by Lazy Eeyour

I am using Alliant Extra-Lite with Alliant's lowest published powder charge. See http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx?page=/reloaders/index.aspx&.

Reclaimed shot, Cheddite primers and Claybuster wads can lower your reloading costs. I prefer Remington STS hulls. I buy my hulls once-fired from a local shotgun reloading retailer. I do reload Winchester AA hulls given to me but don't purchase used AA hulls.

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971

I use the Claybuster CB0175-12, 3/4oz wad published load data (link above in post #9) for my wife and son.

Have tried both Red Dot and Clays data. Both worked great, but I'm using Red Dot since I have quite a bit. Red Dot is dirtier, but what does it matter for CAS.

This summer my son actually ask me to bump up his load (minimum published Red Dot load). As he has gotten bigger, he how feels it is too light/wimpy.

Remington are the best ones to reload they are one piece plastic. I like Gun Clubs there is a lot of them around. Don't forget to wax them with pledge it also helps to clean them.

Reddot min laoad, 3/4 ounce reclimed shot, Winchester or Federal Primers.

This load works well in AA or Remmie green hulls for my SxS and 1897s.

I prefer the Rem greens that show wear at the hull lip. The AAs split or fold in the middle for me when they enter death throws.

I buy range hulls for about $.02 each (once fired usually) and help support local scouts.

For me, about $4.50/25 to get the shotshells that I like. Not a lot of savings but more control.

Remington are the best ones to reload they are one piece plastic. I like Gun Clubs there is a lot of them around. Don't forget to wax them with pledge it also helps to clean them.

I've taken to using Johnsons Paste Wax on my shotgun shell reloads. I'll put a smudge on a rag and moisen the crimp area. I found it helps get the folds nearly perfect. Then when loaded, I repeat with a light coat of JPW. Makes most of them look factory fresh. It'll greatly improve the look and feel of those that are scorched.

I may not be saving a whole ton of money but I'm saving some! I have too much invested in chucking it all and buying factory anyway. I've got a ton of once fired shells, lots and lots of wads, which are cheap and plenty of primers and powder. The most expensive thing I find to be is the shot! $35-40 for 25# bag. Ouch!!! I use 1 oz. of shot, and white or pink wads and Univerals Clays which I have probably 10 lbs or more. I have not found a factory load that compares to my loads, I love 'em!! I have a Mec 650, easy to load, fast and fun! ;)

Thank you so much for everyone's input, both PMs and posts! Several of you had suggested for reclaimed shot, which I didn't know was even a thing. I will have to reach out to the couple of local trap clubs and see what is available. I was able to go to a local store last night and get half of what I need for my first loads when the loader comes in. I will report back how it goes.

Couple of other responses:

Check Gamaliel for shot. I just ordered 50# of #8 "Lawrence" @ $39.95 per 25# bag and shipping was $9,90 for 2 bags. They have "Eagle for I think it was $36.95 but didn't have #8

www.gamaliel.com

I had not heard of this site before, thanks for the resource, good volume discounts. Once I get my load just right I will certainly be using this resource for bulk purchases.

If you live close to Omaha, Nebraska check at Gun's Unlimited located at 120th and I Street. They support (components) Trap and Skeet shooters in the area. Hulls, various wads, powder, lead and primers. From my last supply run they give volume discounts: 4 bags of lead, case of wads, etc.

I'm in Omaha every 6 months or so I will have to pop in, thanks for the resource!

2f and All Brass Hulls. Real simple.

Some day Coffinmaker, Someday. I have not been taken in by the dark side just yet!

Clay--- On Gamaliel's site in red writing they state $13.00 for shipping two bags. After I got to check-out, it only charged me $9.90 and got here today. I've seen quite a few post from Pards using "reclaimed", however when I Googled it yesterday it was running higher priced than new magnum lead shot. May not have looked in the right place. Last time I picked up some local it was $54.00 a bag and I had to drive there! Figured Gamaliel's price was pretty good considering not having to leave the house. Like others I don't think I save a fortune reloading shot shells, but do have fun shooting my own homemade ammo and don't have to do anymore than walk down to the basement for a little while.

Merry Christmas,

EH

I'm still getting virgin shot for $38 a bag from local supplier down the street.

Guess things could be worse. :lol:

I'm still getting virgin shot for $38 a bag from local supplier down the street.

Guess things could be worse. :lol:

They are worse!!! :lol: Used to be $25 a bag!! Not that long ago either!!

+1 on Hoss. Red Dot, 7/8 oz Claybuster, 7 1/2 shot, or 8 if I can't get the 7 1/2. Remington STS or Winchester. STS will last 4 times longer. I'll PM a recipe for 890fps, which handle all knock-downs for the Missus & me at the 4 clubs we shoot with,

When we shoot States, Regionals, EOT, we use factory Winchester Featherlights, just to be absolutely sure I didn't booger one up in the batch.

I've taken to using Johnsons Paste Wax on my shotgun shell reloads. I'll put a smudge on a rag and moisen the crimp area. I found it helps get the folds nearly perfect. Then when loaded, I repeat with a light coat of JPW. Makes most of them look factory fresh. It'll greatly improve the look and feel of those that are scorched.

I reload Nitro Golds until they show scorched spot. Then they go to the trash.

Used to be $25 a bag!! Not that long ago either!!

You'll pay hobbs before you get a 25# bag for $25 when commodity lead price is close to a buck a pound, like it is now.

That $25 a sack came from 35 to 50 cent lead.

I like Red Dot, 7/8 oz shot, claybuster wads. cost is about 4.50/box (not counting my time) so yea, I save a few $$$$ probably 18-20/month. not a huge deal, but in 2-3 years pays for a gun!

plus, I get the satisfaction of loading my own ammo.

Yep same here Hoss, knocks em' all down & recoil friendly..not a lot of powder for me as I wanted the wife to have no worries shooting them, now use them myself ..chrono at 950fps, good enough for Cowboy !

My suggested load for maximum enjoyment is fill a ten gauge 3-1/2" shell chock full of Holy Black, cram in a nitro wad followed by a fiber wad, then a ton of shot and cap it with an overshot wad glued down by Duco cement. WOW, what a blast!!! :-) I let my granddaughters shoot my twelves!!! :-) After all, they are little kids!!! ;)