SASS Wire Forum

Hammer alteration on Double shotgun

Fargo Bill, SASS #4942

While remaining within the rules applying to external modifications, what options would one have to allow the hammers to be cocked easier with a sweeping motion. (bending, spring work, adding extensions, changing hammers, etc.) I have a Rossi and a T.Barker I am winterizing with.

While remaining within the rules applying to external modifications, what options would one have to allow the hammers to be cocked easier with a sweeping motion. (bending, spring work, adding extensions, changing hammers, etc.) I have a Rossi and a T.Barker I am winterizing with.

The rule on external modications is clear and set out in bold letters and red in the Shooter's Handbook. "Any firearm modification not referenced in this Handbook is prohibited." Springwork is internal. Anything else should be reviewed by the ROC. I can think of a couple of situations where the "modification" could not be identified. For example, I had a CZ outside hammer for several years that had extremely short spurs. Then a few years ago CZ changed the hammers and started selling them with higher spurs. If someone ordered the new stock CZ hammers and put them on their older coach gun who could tell the difference?

One can usually get away with bending (reprofiling) the existing hammers. Changing out a hammer, assuming you can find on that will work and has a general shape like guns of the Old West, will probably never be questioned. Knocking off sharp "birds beaks" on hammers to make them safe to run - has been allowed forever.

Internal mods like working over or replacing springs - perfectly acceptable per rules.

If your gut tells you you're close to the edge of the rules, you can submit a request to the Rules Committee for a ruling on the external mods you are thinking about. That's the only sure way to get the answer that will stand up "in SASS court"

Good luck, GJ

20161205_134218_zpss9kpe3lm.jpg

I bought a "hammerless" hammer gun. I had a small batch of Chinese J2000 hammers. To make them work I welded up the hole and cut new ones. They are a bit taller and more vertical than original but not by an exaggerated amount.

Sense this picture, I have cleaned up the grinding, stripped black phosphate finish off with vinegar and aged in wet sawdust. They blend in much better.

I've not done anything with the Philips head screw. It's a 4mx.7 metric. Fit perfectly!