SASS Wire Forum

Common Sense Breaking Out

Subdeacon Joe

Navy leaders are reversing their controversial decision to eliminate sailors’ ratings and will restore job titles across the fleet, according to a Navy message set for release Wednesday.

The extraordinarily rare move comes after a fierce backlash from the fleet that became a distraction from the Navy's broader effort to reform the antiquated personnel system, Navy officials said.

Adm. John Richardson, the chief of naval operations, called it a “course correction” and acknowledged the overwhelmingly negative reaction from the fleet was a key factor in the decision.

We have learned from you, and so effective immediately, all rating names are restored,” Richardson wrote in a Navy message set for release Wednesday. A copy of the message was obtained by Navy Times Tuesday.

I had to read that twice. I thought, "What the heck does the ATF form have to do with it?" Then I saw it - you didn't write "4473."

Don't want the moderators after me.

Although part of me still thinks this is a hoax.

I have to tell you, pard, this has nothing to do with common sense. It makes no difference as to how efficiently or operationally capable the Navy is. It is merely an adherence to tradition, and is neither good nor bad.

Could this original ruling be an effort for some Admiral to justify his stars, and

suddenly he was overruled?

Edited by Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172

Cyruus, you are about to suffer the slings and arrows of outraged sea dogs.

Speaking of dogs....I don't have one in this. :D

I have to tell you, pard, this has nothing to do with common sense. It makes no difference as to how efficiently or operationally capable the Navy is. It is merely an adherence to tradition, and is neither good nor bad.

It had a huge effect on morale and esprit de corps, which, I would argue, has an effect on efficiency. .

Can any one explain the uniforms that are in Utah Bob's link. I got out of the Navy 36 yrs ago and I never saw any like that. I know that sometimes there are changes but the guy in foreground has PO2 on his hat and the guy behind him has PO3 on his collar. Is this a new uniform or something from a really messed up Jr ROTC thing?

Can any one explain the uniforms that are in Utah Bob's link. I got out of the Navy 36 yrs ago and I never saw any like that. I know that sometimes there are changes but the guy in foreground has PO2 on his hat and the guy behind him has PO3 on his collar. Is this a new uniform or something from a really messed up Jr ROTC thing?

Dang if I know and I have only been out 15 years. As near as I can figure it is a promotion ceremony as that is the only way I can figure for the mixed insignia. BTW Last promotion ceremony I was in that is not how mine were "pinned" on.

What is even more confusing is they are wearing khaki colored shirts. When I was last in Khakis were only worn by Chiefs and officers.

Read the regulations and now I am even more befuddled. So many traditions are already out the window makes me wonder why all the hoopla about this.

Glad I got out before the kinder, gentler, military took over.

Naval ranks never made sense to me anyway

That's because you weren't in the Navy. Rank is your pay grade E-1 to E-9, Rate is what you do, so you can look at a Sailor's sleeve and tell what his rank is and also what his job is.

"Rank" is reserved for officers. Enlisted Navy members have their paygrade and rating (specialty).

The rating badge is only shown on dress uniforms.

BS

What actually does the Navy do?

Just design uniform and insignias?

Day 1 : The Navy gets into position

Day 2 : Using our surface ships and subs we launch cruise missiles to take out enemy command and control.

Day 3: Because we have Aircraft Carriers instead of getting permission to establish a base we commence launching planes and establish air superiority.

Day 4: Again using our ships we drop off the Marines so they can establish a beach head from which to begin kicking @$$

Day 5: The Sea Bees arrive to start rebuilding the runways taken out on days 2 and 3.

Day 6 : The Marines have finished off most of the real resistance and the Sea Bees finish their reconstruction.

Day 7 : The Army and Air Force finally arrive. :D The Navy and Marines have a Steel Beach picnic.

When called upon to provide disaster relief we can deliver anywhere in the world it is needed. Our ships are capable of providing enough excess electricity, fresh water, hot meals, and full service medical/dental care to satisfy the needs of a mid sized city or small country.

:D :D :D :D

Aviation Electronics Technician First Class (Air Warfare)

USN Ret,

Edited by Sedalia Dave

Day 1 : The Navy gets into position

Day 2 : Using our surface ships and subs we launch cruise missiles to take out enemy command and control.

Day 3: Because we have Aircraft Carriers instead of getting permission to establish a base we commence launching planes and establish air superiority.

Day 4: Again using our ships we drop off the Marines so they can establish a beach head from which to begin kicking @$$

Day 5: The Sea Bees arrive to start rebuilding the runways taken out on days 2 and 3.

Day 6 : The Marines have finished off most of the real resistance and the Sea Bees finish their reconstruction.

Day 7 : The Army and Air Force finally arrive. :D The Navy and Marines have a Steel Beach picnic.

When called upon to provide disaster relief we can deliver anywhere in the world it is needed. Our ships are capable of providing enough excess electricity, fresh water, hot meals, and full service medical/dental care to satisfy the needs of a mid sized city or small country.

:D :D :D :D

Aviation Electronics Technician First Class (Air Warfare)

USN Ret,

After the 2004 Tsunami I was talking with a guy who was sneering about the US "invading" Indonesia by sending a strike group to render aid while other countries were sending "real" help. I pointed out to him that that group of ships could provide medical aid, food, fresh water, electricity. manpower, SAR resources, etc. A floating "city" of 5,000 can provide a lot of helping hands.

I understand all that, Sedalia, but how do they know who is a seabee and who is a pilot. They don't have ratings on

their uniforms. Do they all just get together at the bar and decide what and who is going to do something?

I understand all that, Sedalia, but how do they know who is a seabee and who is a pilot. They don't have ratings on

their uniforms. Do they all just get together at the bar and decide what and who is going to do something?

That one is simple - a pilot lets you know he is a pilot within 15 seconds.

Believe it ir not Army and Air Force ratings are just a confusing to me.

Enlisted Navy Dress uniforms have a rating badge on the left shoulder that not only tells you what rank that person is but also what his general speciality is.

Interactive link that explains Enlisted Ratings: Insignia and Duties

Offercers and enlisted Naval Aviators wear additional special insignia as part of their uniforms. A breakdown can be found here

Non dress uniform insignia only tells you a persons rank. If they have earned a special warfare qualification then that will also be worn on their uniform.

Never was a Sea Bee so I don't much about them other than the det in Rota could throw some wild trash can parties. :ph34r: At least that is what I was told

Aboard an Aircraft Carrier you know who's who on the aviation side by the color of their flight deck jersey, float coat and cranial. Jersey color denotes a general skill and the cranial color will denote specialities within that group.

Squadron affiliation is usually stencilled on the jersey and float coat.

One unique things that the Navy does is to train every last person on the ship how to fight fire. All personnel permanently assigned to a ship (ships company) are also trained in basic damage control.

Fire fighting class is a week long and you spend a good part of the training actually fighting fires. Class covers compartment and confined space fires below deck as well as aircraft fires on deck if your assignment is to a ship capable of handling aircraft including helos or if you are assigned to a deploying squadron. It also included how to fight fires where live ordinance is involved.

Requirement came about after the USS Forestall incident. Back then only a select few were trained to fight fires and all of them were injured or killed in the three massive explosions that occurred as a result of the initial fire.

I had the class three times over the course of my career. Each time I learned something new and had a lot of fun.

Remember Zumwalt's beards and parochial school uniforms? How about navy camouflage blue uniforms? (If I end up in the water I WANT to be seen, thank you very much.)

I think the Navy has a special school where they teach senior officers how to develop and promote stupid ideas.