SASS Wire Forum

Anybody know any custom Henry Big Boy gunsmiths?

Army GI

I'm looking for a levergun smith to see if he could install a 24" bbl and an extended tube magazine since Henry only makes them in 20" from the factory? I'm really interested in picking up one of their rifles but I gotta have that 24" bbl.

That would add quite a bit of cost to the gun as you may know.

But many smiths could change the barrel but would probably have to craft a new tube.

Is the gun for hunting?

You didn't state which model. Adding addition tube length is usually not worth the money it takes to crafty a new tube, change the tube spring, and blue. Some calibers, it may not be possible to do with existing regulation.

Edited by Ace_of_Hearts

Where ya gonna get the barrel? A custom made one?

I'm looking for a levergun smith to see if he could install a 24" bbl and an extended tube magazine since Henry only makes them in 20" from the factory? I'm really interested in picking up one of their rifles but I gotta have that 24" bbl.

That would add quite a bit of cost to the gun as you may know.

But many smiths could change the barrel but would probably have to craft a new tube.

Is the gun for hunting?

Yeah i figured it would cost a pretty penny, but im okay with that as long as i get what i want.

No, it won't be for hunting. for recreation.

You didn't state which model. Adding addition tube length is usually not worth the money it takes to crafty a new tube, change the tube spring, and blue. Some calibers, it may not be possible to do with existing regulation.

Henry big boy 44 mag. I know it's a complicated process that's why I was hoping that anyone here would know of a smith that does custom work on Henrys. I know they are out there for all types of other guns.

I know smith work is expensive, but it will be worth it to me.

Where ya gonna get the barrel? A custom made one?

If need be, I'm sure there are barrel makers that specialize in turning custom lever action barrels.

Let's see... It holds ten round already and you want more capacity?

A 20" barrel with a 44 magnum is more than enough. A 24 inch barrel will not gain anything and may even reduce the muzzle velocity depending on the powder and bullet. An extended magazine tube would add, at most, 3 rounds.

I can see this costing more than double what the gun is worth new.

Most smiths are buried in work, and would not have the time to take on such a project.

As soon as the gun is modified, the warranty is void and you won't get it fixed by Henry Repeating Arms ever.

Edited by Ace_of_Hearts

Don't know anyone that want's to work on them !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Ditto. At any price.

There just are not parts made to support what you want, so stuff has to be carved out of stock. Beaucoup expensive anymore. There's just not enough interest amongst gun owners to have a highly customized Henry Big Boy for a smith to get good at working on them.

That much work on a gun that is relatively cheap to begin with, starts to look like a potential loss-of-good-will for most smiths. They just can't see charging 2-3 times what the gun's value is, then possibly have the customer come back later and complain that they can't recoup the price of the custom work. Not saying you would, but how's a gunsmith going to know that? "Like making a silk purse out of a sow's ear" would probably be their reaction.

Good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

A barrel maker like Shilen might make a special one for you with one of their barrels.

They made a special barrel for me a few years back AND they also attached it to the receiver.

There are some gunsmiths who produce octagon barrels, but mostly for pistols, due to length restrictions of their machinery.

My first step would be call Henry firearms and ask who makes their barrels, or even produces the blanks. That might help you somewhat.

..........Widder

I hope his recreational shooting with a Henry Big Boy is not Cowboy Action Shooting. I have seen just too many cowboys who are disappointed, in fact one was a very competent gunsmith. He just couldn't make his Henry get through a match.

Blackfoot

I hope his recreational shooting with a Henry Big Boy is not Cowboy Action Shooting. I have seen just too many cowboys who are disappointed, in fact one was a very competent gunsmith. He just couldn't make his Henry get through a match.

Blackfoot

Thats relly NOT True.

I have seen many Big Boys make it threw matches .

Just not fast .

I have run a clean match with a brand new Big Boy straight out of the box.

But like I said SLOWLY !

There are serval Pards who run them around hear .

But you can NOT run with any speed .

No difference in running a Winchester 94 in a Pistol Caliber ,

They will work slowly :-)

Im not saying you did not see him have big issues .

He was just over running the capabilities of the rifle.

I would NEVER recommend a Big Boy for this game.

But if someone really wonts one and knows the rifles limitations.

He can buy one and run it bone stock and it should go bang every time .

Its just not going to place in the top 25 .

But then again .

Not everyone gets in to this game to be a top shooter .

I shoot 30s to 40s and am very happy with that.

Its all about having fun, playing Cowboy, and Injoying Friends .

Army GI,

If it's a longer sight radius you are looking for perhaps a tang mounted sight? Brownell's has a Marbles tang nounted sight for the Big Boy.

Ranger Point Precision in Texas offers custom sights for Henry's as well as other things. They offer custom Marlin work too...including barrels. Pershps they can help you. I found them on Google.

Did any of you "nay-sayers" consider the man wants what he wants?

• Like 1

As Rooster Ron Wayne stated:

"But then again .

Not everyone gets in to this game to be a top shooter.

Its all about having fun, playing Cowboy, and Injoying Friends."

This is exactly where I approach all of my postings, and in my threads.

There are two (2) aspects to Cowboy Action Shooting, Competition, and Comradery.

For those like me who are still getting ready to "jump" into the action after acquiring our firearms, we are first trying not to look like a fool and get through a stage clean, and then we can savor the cowboy atmosphere with our fellow pards.

Did any of you "nay-sayers" consider the man wants what he wants?

The OP may WANT a highly customized gun. He may not be able to get that from ANYONE that we know about. He may not even be able to GET it at all.

When a feller asks for advice on this wire, and the advice is given, and it's not necessarily what he wants to hear, but it may be what he needs to hear, there's not a real good reason to complain about it. Folks are not saying it CAN'T be done, we are saying we don't know smiths willing to take on the task. Most of the smiths we know, do "simple modifications to cowboy guns for men who want to shoot fast." (To paraphrase Nick in It's a Wonderful Life).

Take the free advice given, and move on from there.

If he wants to check with Lonnie at Run-N-Iron in Nebraska, they do a lot of "high end customization and restoration" for lever guns. As does Turnbull's in Connecticut. Those will be long shots with little chance of getting satisfaction, but there might be a small chance.

Good luck, GJ

I too was going to suggest going to Henry with the request as their Wisconsin plant is the one that makes the barrels, and they could take on a special order for the right price. He might even get into the next commercial with it. Doesn't hurt to ask,

Nimbles

Some years ago I offered to help the factory get the BB to run better for this game, they rebuffed me quite rudely ,stating that their guns were USA made and ran as intended....

This moment of weakness was brought on by trying to help a very fine older Gentleman on a limited budget stay in the game with-out the constant struggle with his gun...

The good news was he found a Rancher to buy the BB for a knock-about gun and I found him a lightly used 92 to which I added a little free smoothing.... He shot that 92 for 4 years before his passing ...

Jabez Cowboy

Some years ago I offered to help the factory get the BB to run better for this game, they rebuffed me quite rudely ,stating that their guns were USA made and ran as intended....

This moment of weakness was brought on by trying to help a very fine older Gentleman on a limited budget stay in the game with-out the constant struggle with his gun...

The good news was he found a Rancher to buy the BB for a knock-about gun and I found him a lightly used 92 to which I added a little free smoothing.... He shot that 92 for 4 years before his passing ...

Jabez Cowboy

Your a fine Pard, Jabez....... even if you shoot that nasty BP..... :lol::lol::lol:

I never made any offers to Henry but I did try to slightly modify one of their new HBB Steel's. I made the rifle function smoother and a little more efficient. But the time and effort wasn't worth the results.

It would run about 9 rounds with no glitches at good speeds but there was always that odd round that disrupted the flow of the rifle.

I won't try to work on any other Henry BB's because I seem to stay busy with Marlin's and .22 Henry rifles.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you!

..........Widder

we are first trying not to look like a fool and get through a stage clean, and then we can savor the cowboy atmosphere with our fellow pards.

Single ACTION Shooting Society - it just takes action to shoot with us, not necessarily any guns when you start. The only pards missing out on "savoring," are the pards not coming out.

Good luck, GJ

Hi everyone

Didn't mean for this to be such a highly controversial/divisive topic. I was just looking for some recommendations.

I've owned many guns in the past. Most stock. Some custom. Some priceless/sentimental.

I'm aware that not everyone agrees that it's worth the money. I'm okay with that.

I'm a big fan of custom guns, so it will be worth it to me. It's my money, I get to decide how I want to spend it.

No, it won't be for hunting. It won't be for CAS. I like what I like :)

So thanks to all who contributed. It appears there are no custom smith's for Henrys, yet. I'll have to be satisfied with whatever is left.

Shaw might make and install a barrel at a reasonable price. The Magazine tube coule be left stock for a 3/4 lenght magazine.

Or he could sell it and buy the Marlin for less money out of pocket in the long run.

Duffield

Myself and snake oil George can get that done for you !! We can also do pistol barrels whether octagon or whatever you want ! We even have made a stainless barrel for a 1873 we can pretty much take care of whatever you need.

Edited by Creek County Kid
  • Like 1

Barrel will run about $225, 55 for the tube, 45 for blueing and about 3 hours of labor.

There are several companies that have pre-made octagon barrels. all that needs to be done is threading, setting the headspace and cutting the dovetails.

An I love the henry big boys. My only gripe is the extractor is a 97 Shotgun style.

Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933, on 21 Dec 2016 - 6:24 PM, said:

There's a 24 inch Marlin .44 Mag over in the classifieds. Far better gun and far cheaper than converting a Henry.

+1, my same sentiment.

Hi everyone

Didn't mean for this to be such a highly controversial/divisive topic. I was just looking for some recommendations.

I've owned many guns in the past. Most stock. Some custom. Some priceless/sentimental.

I'm aware that not everyone agrees that it's worth the money. I'm okay with that.

I'm a big fan of custom guns, so it will be worth it to me. It's my money, I get to decide how I want to spend it.

No, it won't be for hunting. It won't be for CAS. I like what I like :)

So thanks to all who contributed. It appears there are no custom smith's for Henrys, yet. I'll have to be satisfied with whatever is left.

I figured that to be your position as I read the OP. Hope you find someone capable of filling your need. I'm sure there is someone who could do the work you'd like to have done, and I hope you find them. If Boomstick is willing to try, I'd not hesitate to give him a call. Best wishes for success in your endeavor.

I have always hoped that somehow this American made addition would find a way to work its way into our game. Unlike Ruger, it seems this will not be the case with the BB.

Merry Christmas

CR

Edited by Cowboy Rick, SASS #49739

Myself and snake oil George can get that done for you !! We can also do pistol barrels whether octagon or whatever you want ! We even have made a stainless barrel for a 1873 we can pretty much take care of whatever you need.

Barrel will run about $225, 55 for the tube, 45 for blueing and about 3 hours of labor.

There are several companies that have pre-made octagon barrels. all that needs to be done is threading, setting the headspace and cutting the dovetails.

An I love the henry big boys. My only gripe is the extractor is a 97 Shotgun style.

WELL, here are your answers.

Both of these folks have good reputations in their work.

I've handled some of Broomsticks work and wouldn't hesitate to use him.

ALSO, I have owned 3 sets of Ruger pistols that Snake Oil George & Creek County Kid put Octagon barrels on and their work is impeccable. My 3.5" OCTAGON barrel Ruger .32 H&R pistols are a thing of beauty.

PLUS, the Kid is gonna put me a nice 20" custom BULL barrel on my Ruger model 77/.17 Hornet soon.

Good luck in your efforts.

..........Widder

I would think any gunsmith would replace a barrel. It ain't like the 'smith is guaranteeing the Henry to run fast and reliable. At the worst he buys a Green Mountain barrel, has the 'smith cut the tenon and screw it onto the receiver. Any other cuts is a piece of cake.

Doesn't the Henry have a magazine tube and an inner tube that you remove to load like a .22 rimfire rifle? If you do want the magazine extended, that will take a bit more effort and parts than just a barrel.

It will require an additionally long spring and spring tube as well as a longer magazine tube.

Here's a 24" Yellow Boy. Mighty fine looking rifle ........45 colt, .44-40, .38 sp

http://www.uberti.com/1866-yellowboy-rifle

Another point to Army GI's question.

Will a gunsmith be willing to try to change the barrel in a brass alloy receiver?

The brass alloy is not as strong as steel so what precautions need to be taken to avoid warping / damaging the frame?

Project sounds a bit risky. I wondered if the gunsmith will need to make a special jig to encase the entire receiver to remove and install the barrels?