SASS Wire Forum

Interesting topic in another forum...

J-BAR #18287

I thought some of you might find this thread interesting reading on a cold winter's day. Some of you may have already made your contribution, but it may help others with future purchases. The thread discusses all guns, not just cowboy guns.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/most-regretted-gun-purchase.814825/

Edited by J-BAR #18287

Interesting thread.

For me it was a Winchester M50 20 ga., semi auto, blowback, floating chamber (I think that's what it was called.) I shoot left handed and it was my first experience with a semi auto long gun. Blew gas across my face every shot. Also had an out of battery discharge and blew a piece of brass into my nose and chin.

Hmmm. Granted, I'm a right handed shooter, but my old 12ga win Model 50 is one my parents got from a neighbor (used) and gave me as a Christmas present. I love that shotgun and I marvel still at its reliability, intricacy and its quality, not to mention it's sentimental hold on my heart.

Universal M1 carbine with folding stock. If the mag didn't fall out, or action jam, the wire stock bit your cheek hard.

Mossburg .410 pump. Nice gun. Shot well. But I bought it with money needed for other things, much to the dissapointment of my bride. Couldn't look at that gun without seeing the look on my new brides face. Sold it for a loss just to be rid of it. I sure would like another now that we arn't living hand to mouth.

An original Ruger Vaquero.

Believed the hype and bought one as soon as they came out- stainless 4 5/8" in .45 Colt. Didn't fit my hand well, I didn't like the balance of it and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it.

About that time, I was transitioning to shooting Duelist using the double duelist technique. I used the Vaquero for my strong side gun since I figgered it would help some keeping it in the hand that knew what it was doing. I was wrong. I was hitting more with my semi trained off hand (the one holding a $200 clone) that I was my dominant hand holding the Vaquero. Swapped it for another Uberti clone after about 6 months of trying to like it and my scores went up immediately.

Edited by Smuteye John SASS#24774

Kimber Solo. First Kimber I've ever owned, and damn sure the last. I don't think it's ever made it through an entire magazine without a jam of some sort or another, using Kimber's recommended ammo selection, as well as a host of others. I bought a new Kahr CM9 for just over half the price of the Kimber, and it feeds EVERYTHING. Same size, half the price, and shoots any 9mm I've tried in it.

Gun or guns I most regret? Hmmm...

Non-Cowboy:

AR-15s, 3 of 'em. - caught the bug. Useless implements as far as I am concerned.

Glock 19 - didn't like it one bit.

S&W 22S - too many reasons to waste time on.

Cowboy:

Huglu "Liberty" shotgun - got it at an auction. Supposed to have been new. 50 rounds of Win. AA shells loosened it right up and stock cracked.

Howdy,

A least favorite? Rifle- a ruger 44 mag carbine...I was never told to use only jacketed.

Lead was beginning to clog the action. It would jam in the most difficult ways.

I sold it to someone who cleaned it and shot only jacketed and allllll better.

I never did buy another.

Pistol a 357 Taurus revolver. It held onto fired cases like they were welded in.

It worked just fine but kicking out empties was HARD.

I asked the dealer who sold it what to do and he reached into his cash box and

handed me every cent and took the gun back.

I still clean weeds and grass offn his grave after I get done with my Dads.

He died just about this time of year. Back in the Clinton administration....

Best

CR

I had a Rossi Model 62 pump rifle in .22LR. Jammed every third round. Wasn't all that accurate when it did fire. Got so aggravated with the rifle that I threw it as far as I could and walked away. A friend picked it up and asked me if I wanted it. I told him "NO!" He kept it.

Edited by Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663

I've had moments of "gee, I wish I hadn't bought that" when I purchased a gun only to have a bill come up or something, but the ONLY gun I've regretted buying was my first Stoeger SxS, with a single trigger. Could not keep it from double firing. Sent to Stoeger. Came back. Doubled. Gunsmith still has it. Mean Gun Mark loaned me a double trigger version for a shoot, so I bought one.

I do wish I had bought my Hi-Power in 9mm instead of jumping on the 40S&W bandwagon way back when, but I had to sell it when I needed some money a few years back.

Oddly, my worst became my best.

Para Ordnance Slim Hawg. .45 ACP power in a small frame, very concealable. Ran into a couple of small problems, returned it to the factory. And waited. And waited. And waited. Started calling, and getting excuses that were totally unbelievable. Ultimately, my letter to the company President got some attention, but it took over a year to get the gun back.

Repaired, it is perfection. But I would never buy from them again.

LL

I had a Rossi Model 62 pump rifle in .22LR. Jammed every third round. Wasn't all that accurate when it did fire. Got so aggravated with the rifle that I threw it as far as I could and walked away. A friend picked it up and asked me if I wanted it. I told him "NO!" He kept it.

I had one of those. Killed five running rabbits the first time I hunted with it. My nephew has it now. Never missed a beat.

I have always had a hard spot in my heart for a Ruger Super Black Hawk I bought once that had a barrel that had been shortened to 5". Horrible gun to shoot. Dragoon trigger guard. Back end hurt as bad as the front.

I moved it quickly on to another sucker.

Now I find out that it was one of the rarest Rugers in existance and is searched for by collectors..

The story I got yesterday from a collector is that a Ruger employee was tasked with the job of cutting 500 41 mag barrels to 5" for a police order. He grabbed 44 caliber barrels by mistake. To cover his blunder, he finished and shipped them as 5.5" Super Black Hawks altho their barrels are only 5" long.

Again I have thrown away a pile of money.

Edited by Noz

Walter P22 Target. Would not feed reliably no matter what ammo.

Savage 68 .22 rifle. Low quality but for $68, what can you expect.