SASS Wire Forum

Plainsman at Comin At Cha 2017

Yusta B.

Please let TBone or Ellie know if you're interested in shooting Plainsman. Griff has volunteered to run it as a side match if there are enough shooters interested.

Time & space allotted will be a factor, & I haven't spoke w/T-Bone yet... hard to ask for a commitment for those when the basic criteria is yet to be met. (But I'll ask for 5 stages, a max of 8 rifle shots and a minimum of 1 shotgun, but... it might take ya MORE!

If memory serves me correctly(and that's happening less frequently as of late :unsure:) the last couple of Plainsman matches held at previous events at the Bar 3 consisted of 4 stages. Not that I'm opposed to more, just seem to remember that time and space limited us to that.

Chili Pepper Pete put together the Plainsman matches for the Michigan State and the IBPG matches.In an effort to increase participation and introduce the category to more shooters, cartridge pistols were allowed, but score separately and not eligible for overall. Worked well, and we all had fun. If you PM Chili, I'm sure he'd be happy to share his expertise. I will tell you that both shoots were a ton of fun :D

My vote would be to allow a 3rd category for the suppository shooters, with all other requirements the same. Modern with ejectors in the rifle, traditional without ejectors, open with either and cartridge pistols. This would help educate and interest more shooters, who eventually would come to Jesus and see the light ;)

BTW - I'm in either way!

CR

We can find time for a four stage match on Wednesday morning side match day. It will run the same time as Wild Bunch. that's what it looks like right now.????

I can work with that. When I finish the stages I'll email 'em to you, so you can accept or reject, err... offer improvements... Talk to you later about targets, etc.

Titus

we need to discuss rifle and S/G , for plainsman , sounds like a hoot

Chickasaw

I personally use a Browning 1885 in 45 Colt. None of the Plainsman stages at BAC2017 will require anything more powerful. I can also give the choice of 5 different SASS legal shotguns for the side match (2 hammered, 3 hammerless, both types in 20" & 26"). I have four 1851s that I can loan out. I don't mind loaning them out... but, be advised: you borrow my guns, you use my ammo. I'll have plenty of 45 Colt ammo & 12ga for the shotguns.

If you're thinking about borrowing anyone's guns, think about helping with the supply of balls, caps, etc.

A couple of volunteers to help supervise loading the pistols will ease the apprehension that I, (for one), have about loaning out the pistols... I have a loading stand for the 1851s that will ease that process. I shot the entire BAC 2016 main match with these pistols... no cleaning except between day 1 & 2.

Stay tuned as I develop the stages for a final round count.

• Like 1

You can count me in!!!

I'll lose out shooting Wild Bunch but oh well. It'll be another chance for the Burnside or Maynard to come out and play.

Guys

the biggest issue is , I have never messed with BP cartage nor shot shells

figure I can scrounge up a shotgun , I am willing to use BP in

NO clue as to what kind nor cal of rifle to look into finding ?

pistols is not an issue , except what set to use

gonna be a learning experance , and I think , I had best get to sorting it out pretty fast ,

Chickasaw

Guys

gonna be a learning experance , and I think , I had best get to sorting it out pretty fast ,

Chickasaw

I'll have some ammo with me... as long as 45 Colt & 12 gauge are your 'cup of tea'.

Guys

I

Chickasaw

Rifle will need to be a single shot type. Mostly used are the H&R single shots. Trapdoors and Rolling Blocks are also used. Other calibers used often are the 45-70 and 38-55. I use an original Burnside or a repro Maynard, their both cap carbines. Yeah it's real slow, but loads of style points and a real hoot to shoot.

It might be good to mention the rifle targets are not 1/2"AR 500 steel so lower power rifle loads will probably be appreciated.

Edited by Yusta B.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, now some of y'all are off shooting matches today... time to ruffle yer feathers! Some of y'all sent in yer applications before this was discussed, so as of a coupla days ago we only have FOUR (4, Quattro, one less than five), and fer you Marines, hold up the fingers of one hand... NO! put your thumb back down... shooters signed up for Plainsman.

Y'all please put it on your app when you send it in. If you have already entries please email Sheryl to over to yahoo.com. thanks

That'd be to sheryltolbert at yahoo dot com.

No more slackin' off and lolly-gaggin' about, git-er-done, or we ain't gonna have no Plainsman match agin this year! The four of you that already did this, yer one sort of special... but you others, what're saying you're gonna shoot Plainsman, BUT ain't notified the Bar-3 of same, yer some other sort of "special". You gotta let the folks KNOW, by special email that you wanna be included.

Now, for that third set of special folks, them what can't remember if you put in on your application... EMAIL Sheryl ANYWAY!!! :lol: (Or you could look at the confirmation that Sheryl sent you). Even if you're already down... we ain't gonna MAKE you shoot the side match TWICE!

Traditional or Modern... it's real easy, if your rifle has ejectors, your "modern"... otherwise you're traditional. But we have to get the numbers to hold it!

Guys

Chickasaw

Titus

we need to discuss rifle and S/G , for plainsman , sounds like a hoot

Hey Bill, just saw this. I shoot a H&R Handi-Rifle single shot in .38special. Yes, it's legal for Plainsman. Be glad to share it with ya. You'll hafta shoot my ammo. Nuthin' personal, just my thing. And like Griff, I'll have BP shotgun shells for ya to use.

"Some of y'all sent in yer applications before this was discussed, so as of a coupla days ago we only have FOUR (4, Quattro, one less than five), and fer you Marines, hold up the fingers of one hand... NO! put your thumb back down... shooters signed up for Plainsman."

OK Griff, checked my confirmation email. It didn't mention Plainsman on there so I sent her an email to add me to the Traditional Category. Now you marines can use yer thumb! ;):P

Edited by Titus A. Gnatsass, SASS #71705
  • Like 1

Griff, I'm in! I'll let Sheryl know!

One thing that I'd like to add, 8 rifle on a stage is a bunch. Now we like it but it tends to make for some looooong stage times and if you have a few shooters it really drags out a match. Shot one a couple of years ago and every stage was 8 or 10 rifle and it wasn't much fun for anyone. Just my $4 worth.

BTW...thanks for takin' on the task.

Four Bucks

Buck, I understand completely, there'd only be ONE stage with that high a rifle count, the other 3 will be less. It'll be at a solo target, but a dangerous one, so be prepared to make your shots count!

As for total round count, if you bring 25 rifle, 20 shotgun & fixin's for 45 pistol shots you'll have at least a few of each left over!