SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Single Trigger ...UPDATE?

Rancho Roy

My wife is using a double trigger Stoeger currently. She wants a single trigger. I know in the past there were issues with the single triggers using the Winchester extreme light recoil rounds. Have there been any improvements on this front in recent past?

I have an SKB that has a single trigger that works great with these loads, we just don't want to spend the $$ for anotherone.

Thanks

What rounds are used in the single trigger Stoeger are irrelevant as it is a mechsnical tirgger. The issue is it is a Rube Goldberg arrangement and doesn't always work that well. Lots of people have problems with them. There are always a few that chime in that theirs work perfect. You pays your money and you takes your chances. The double trigger is much more reliable.

My single trigger Stoeger has worked flawlessly for over 7 years. Know of several others with similar track records. Don't quite understand all the negative talk. There's bad apples in every barrel.

RBK

Edited by Rio Brazos Kid

I found a nice Fox single trigger gun, and have used it for many years.

Have been asked many times why I don't cut the 26" barrels down, but it just works so nice I'm going to leave it alone

Roy,

If you did end up running with the double trigger Stoeger, (and you're right handed) you can always flip the triggers. Some will say it doesn't make a difference but I did for me when running one a few years ago. (Before I ended up with an SKB...)

Larsen Pettifogger did an article on it some years back that couldn't have been written up any better. Took me about 4 hours. Others trying mind ended up flipping theirs also.

Enjoy the adventure! ;)

My appreciation for single triggers probably is due to my many years of shooting Skeet. Shooting single trigger O/U shotguns for over 30 years would seem to have it's effects on a persons likes. To me it's the most natural way of doing it, and I really do not like double triggers, although I can handle them when necessary.

RBK

The single trigger in a Stoeger is mechanical. When the trigger is pulled it switches over to the second sear upon it's release, sort of like a semi auto resets after firing. If the trigger is squeezed like you would squeeze a trigger on a target rifle, the recoil will cause the gun and trigger to move away from the finger for a split second. As the gun recovers from the recoil, the finger re-engages the trigger causing a second discharge.

Causes could be springs that are too weak or not enough distance for the reset.

My personal Stoeger has never doubled with me shooting it. But with a few other shooters it will double every time. When I tell them to pull the trigger more firmly, the doubling doesn't happen.

Anyone just use a finger on each trigger?

That's how I was taught to shot a double by my grandfather, so that's how I do it.

I've got one old double 12 gauge that I can't shoot that way. It's a Wyco Hammerless made by Crescent in 1914. The triggers are more closely spaced together than on any of my other doubles.

I'm sure that the problem is my right middle finger. It got cut off and put back on while I was in the Army. It has a permanent crook on the last joint that won't easily/comfortably between the triggers on that old gun.

On all my others, I use two trigger fingers because my middle finger fits between the triggers just fine.

I bought an Uplander single trigger many years ago. When I had trouble with it doubling I had the sears cut deeper and new springs, it was better but...Then I read it was a design problem for some folks, I learned to manipulate the trigger differently and now no problem. Wish I had a SKB. I have Dads Charles Daly and an old AYA Matador that are fun and quick to shoot. I may have to branch out from the 97.

My$.02

Imis

Merry Christmas yall

Imis, I have an AyA Matador in a short barreled 10 gauge 3-1/2" Magnum. I have used it since my third match!!! :D An awful amount of Holy Black has blown through it. Its wide fore end keeps my hand cool during a kong match.

Is yours a 12? Do you use it in SASS matches. Of not, I'm curious why not?

MM

Blue Boy(my Pa) shot the Matador(it is a 12) for about 6-8 years before he got tired of replacing firing pins every year. He bought a Charles Daly and loved it. My sweetie Jersey Bratt likes the Matador and will be shooting it this year as she starts to compete. May have to let her try HB for the fun, shock, smoke.

Imis

Merry Christmas yáll

I have a Stoeger double trigger .

I use two fingers on it .

Never had a single trigger sxs.

I bought two Stogers 9 years ago.

Because everyone said they was a cheap gun ,

and it wont last long in Cowboy shooting.

I have never had to use the other one yet lol.

• Like 1