SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy .45 SP recipes

Marty Mudd

Have some 180 grain hollowbase lead bullets. Have Bullseye, Unique, Titegroup, W231 and Accurate #5 powders.

Have always loaded Holy Black in .45 SP.

Want to try these cartridges in a Ruger 3 1/2".

Anyone got any recipes to share with any of these powders?

PM me, please.

Thanks, in advance.

You can load anything with Unique !

I will send you a PM .

ANY powder usable for the .45 ACP for an appropriate 160-180 grain LEAD bullet is good for the C45S cartridge.

I used 160-180 grain bullets with Clays and Red Dot for 3+ years and loved it.

I have recently tried Clean Shot and also found it a good powder choice.

And these powders were used in my Ruger 3.5" barrel pistols.

I haven't tried any of those powders you listed, so therefore, I don't have much to say about them in the C45S case.

..........Widder

ANY powder usable for the .45 ACP for an appropriate 160-180 grain LEAD bullet is good for the C45S cartridge.

I used 160-180 grain bullets with Clays and Red Dot for 3+ years and loved it.

I have recently tried Clean Shot and also found it a good powder choice.

And these powders were used in my Ruger 3.5" barrel pistols.

I haven't tried any of those powders you listed, so therefore, I don't have much to say about them in the C45S case.

..........Widder

Ditto.

My powder selections in C45S have been 700-X, RedDot and Win WST. Of those, WST burns most clean and meters accurately. If you want a load with any of those, let me know.

Good luck, GJ

Looking at my records for loads I tried in 45acp back in the late 1980s, I tried all the powders listed. My go to load for 45acp became a midrange amount of ww231. That is what I use now for WB, with 200gr RNFP ,452 cowboy bullets, Ought to work fine in 45 sp.

my$.02

Imis

I use Reddot and Trailboss with 200 grain RFN bullets in a Uberti Henry trapper.

I use .45 Autorim data, not the ACP data. The ACP has slightly less capacity than the CS due to the thicker base. The .45 AR generally has soft target loads, due to the nature of most of its use. 9500 to 10500 psi makes nice rounds.

Marty, of the powders you have listed, Bullseye will be the best for light C45S loads as it is the fastest of those powders. As others have noted, Clays, 700x and Red Dot are other good powders. I haven't loaded Bullseye in that cartridge, but you can look at light .45ACP data and work down from there, assuming you have a chronograph to understand your results. My best results with C45S was with Red Dot.

Big Sage,

I know, I know. My '58 Remington's w/ Kirst Konvertors love that. Winter home makes using Black inconvenient.

The rest of you fine pards and Buzzard,

Had a powder measure set up for Unique that I used for .45 Colt loads. It is what you suggested Rooster Ron Waynne.

Thank you all for the great input.

If I get lazy next year and shoot some smokey-less in this cartridge; I will do as the Buzzard says. He is my go-to for tuning of Dillons and other things. A pard to ride the river with.

Thanks all.

Marty

Just load them like your ACP's and you won't have to change your powder drop

^

|

|

IMHO, Some of the worst advice for loading ammo that I have seen on this wire. (If you take this advice literally)

Loading C45S to the same loading data and pressures as standard .45 auto loads - will be above the pressure rating for SAA clones! And you will have way too much recoil.

Drop down to light .45 auto rim load data and you will be more likely to get the light recoil that C45S was designed to provide!

For example, a light .45 auto load I make for Wild Bunch, uses a 200 grain bullet and let's say, 5 grains of "an appropriate" pistol powder. What I load with that same powder in C45S cases is a 175 grain bullet and about 4.4 grains of powder. Now, this is a slightly modified example of what I do, but if I were to load "like my ACPs" I would be making some real hot loads. A C45S load for most single-action revolvers should be quite a bit milder than what you would shoot in a .45 auto pistol. (Original design Ruger Vaqueros, though, will be able to handle it. I even have a .45 AUTO CYLINDER for my old Ruger Blackhawk)

Good luck and keep all your fingers and your TO's eyeballs! GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708