SASS Wire Forum

henry experience?

Chili Ron

Howdy,

a cousin of mine is talking about getting a henry in 357 or maybe 45.

Are these decent guns?

I have zero henry experience except for the little 22 which is fine.

He will probably hunt with it, a small chance he might get into cowboy...maybe sorta.

I think he would be better with a rossi but he says the henry will scope easy.

Ideas?

Thanks aheadotime.

Best

CR

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I like the Henry outfit...Damn fine .22's.

But I do not like their BB for SASS use.

IHOO,

MG

:rolleyes:

Edited by Mustang Gregg

I haven't shot one but on other forums people like them for occasional use. Especially those that want to scope them. Usually I do not comment on guns I have no experience with but I have read multiple accounts of people having good things to say about the Henry's for plinking and hunting.

Google it.

I have a 44 mag BB .

Very fine rifle IMHO.

Great accurate rifle for hunting .

But very heavy to carry all day .

As for as a Cowboy gun goes ?

They are slow and if you try to run them fast the wheels will come off the bus.

I have run mine threw a Clean Match but you have to run slowly.

I know serval Pards who use them and have very few or No Issues running slowly !

The 92nis a much much better rifle !

And one hell of a lot lighter :-)

Love my henrys.Great hunting rifles in 45-70.My grands sons 22 is great.I like the 357 for hogs and deer.They all are great guns. Just not for CAS.

The Henry Big Boys have nice wood and a high level of fit-and-finish, especially for the price paid. And, of course, they are all American made.

The single one I owned (357M, Big Boy Steel) was fine for plinking and/or hunting. The guns are highly over-sprung, I guess to make sure that they go Bang every time you pull the trigger. Mine sure did. There was nothing special about mine as far as smoothness of the action, and I didn't like the amount of side-to-side play that the lever had when extended. But it did feed 38 SPL cartridges just fine and it seemed to shoot accurately enough (just shot it at a short distance indoor range before I ended up selling it).

As said several times above, you really can't run them fast, so not good for CAS. I also could not get used to it not having a side loading gate. That is O.K. for me on .22 rifles, but just didn't seem right with a centerfire caliber. And one would be pretty much on their own to slick them up or lighten springs, unless they had a local gunsmith who had specific experience and worked on this brand. No real aftermarket parts availability specific to Henrys.

In the end it would have been a decent rifle for specific purposes, as long as those purposes didn't require fast shooting. With so many other better choices out there for CAS, I sold the Henry and went in a different direction. Once one shoots a nice '66, '73 or even a well done '92 or '94 it would be very difficult to deal with a Henry for any application.

And I'm not all that certain that scoping a Henry is really any easier than scoping a Rossi R92. Rossi makes a pretty effective scope mount base kit for their rifles:

http://www.rossiusa.com/accessories-scope.cfm

Ditto with others on "nice gun but not for CAS." Weak extractor prone to coming out of bolt under hard/fast action. Simple lever-to-bolt mechanism does not provide for solid bolt closure without some re-work. RR

Henry does make a 1860 44/40 .

It is a very nice rifle .

And would make a good Cowboy rifle .

Best 1860 out there IMHO !

If they put a side loading gate, slimmed down the hunk of wood they refer to as a forend, make them run as smooth as their RF rifles......They might have something. But the Centerfire rifles are big and clunky, don't run well anything approaching fast and the loading tube is just plain nasty and they cost too much...........Other than that, a fine rifle....

A Rossi / Taurus Model 92 is one heck of a rifle for lots less $$.

The Henry 1860 is a fantastic rifle.....a bit pricy, but it proves they could do a 66/73 if they wanted to. I can't believe an 1860 will sell better than a 66/73 when they claim there isn't a sizable market for a USA made 66/73....

If they put a side loading gate, slimmed down the hunk of wood they refer to as a forend, make them run as smooth as their RF rifles......They might have something. But the Centerfire rifles are big and clunky, don't run well anything approaching fast and the loading tube is just plain nasty and they cost too much...........Other than that, a fine rifle....

A Rossi / Taurus Model 92 is one heck of a rifle for lots less $$.

The Henry 1860 is a fantastic rifle.....a bit pricy, but it proves they could do a 66/73 if they wanted to. I can't believe an 1860 will sell better than a 66/73 when they claim there isn't a sizable market for a USA made 66/73....

All of Henrys are tube feed rifles.

It makes sense for them to make a Copy of a 1860.

I doubt like heck they will make a 66 or a 73.

Could they YES !

Will they Doubtful.

The nice thing is Uberti makes them all .

And at a much better price.

I agree the 92 is a much much better bilt rifle for Cowboy action shooting .

But as you stated the Henry 1860 is way over priced .

Thats what American labor cost to build a American made product.

Everything is going up in prices these days .

If Uberti is getting 1300 or so for there rifle .

You know a American made rifle will be 500.00 or more higher.

It is what it is .

I dont think Henry had there 1860 in mind for Cowboy shooters .

More like collector's who tie the name and rifle with BTH .

Best part is if you dont like Henrys guns you dont have to buy them.

There are others to choose from :-)

Marry Christmas to all.

Rooster :-)

After my first year, I switched to Henry Big Boys in .44 Rem Mag and .45 Colt. I use the .44 for pistol caliber long range. It is an awesome tack driver. I use the .45 for SASS with extra heavy loads of black powder. It is also quite accurate and incredibly smooth. Unlike most posters, I have, first, actually fired it!!! :D Further, I have fired many, many thousands of rounds through it with nary a hiccup. Admittedly, I fully load it and my revolvers and enjoy shooting a 10 gauge 3-1/4" crammed full of BP and shot. Despite the stress on my guns, they do not fail me!!!

Not sure the whole pricing issue between Italian made and USA made products holds water any longer. Wages, I don't believe are that different. In fact, four years ago we moved all production of my electronics products from China to New Hampshire. After we figured in shipping, lead times, extended times for updates, airfare for engineers, massive defects, etc......we were able to lower our wholesale price by about 20%.

• Like 1

But as you stated the Henry 1860 is way over priced .

That's what American labor costs to build a American made product.

But, Miroku makes, in Japan, a VERY fine '73 at the same prices as Uberti. A US manufacturer could do it too if they were willing and able to front the machine and tooling and engineering costs. So, don't really buy that cost of labor argument.

Good luck, GJ

After my first year, I switched to Henry Big Boys in .44 Rem Mag and .45 Colt. I use the .44 for pistol caliber long range. It is an awesome tack driver. I use the .45 for SASS with extra heavy loads of black powder. It is also quite accurate and incredibly smooth. Unlike most posters, I have, first, actually fired it!!! :D Further, I have fired many, many thousands of rounds through it with nary a hiccup. Admittedly, I fully load it and my revolvers and enjoy shooting a 10 gauge 3-1/4" crammed full of BP and shot. Despite the stress on my guns, they do not fail me!!!

Most of the People who run thew mouth,

Know NOTHING About what they are spewing !

For some reason if anyone brings up Henry or Big Boys on the wire .

All you get is Negativity !

I have run one and I own one .

I would not recommend it for Cowboy if you want to shoot fast at all.

I have run my stock Henry in a Clean Match right out of the box brand new !

But 98% of the people never even shot one .

And they heard from that one Top shooter at there local shoot .

Say Bla bla bla ,About a Henry .

And Now Its True !

And everyone will tell you .

You cant use a Henry it will never make it threw a match !

You Cant You Cant You Cant !

If you dont like the Henry Dont Buy One !

BUT Guess What You CAN Shoot With a Henry,

And it Will Make it Threw a Match !

You just wont be Competitive with a Henry !

henry experience?

Got a uncle named Henry... me and him has been cross-ways fer all my life. However... got back... and I got real, bad neighbor who is gonna try to hurt him. But my uncle best have a good reason to kill somebody's dog. Not goin' out til tomorrow. Just,,, kinda stil sick. Henry bettter have a good excuse...better have lost some cows...

ts

I shot a Henry today. A .22 carbine. Fine little rifle. I am buying one. If that little .22 is any indication of the larger rifle's workmanship I'd say they also might be worth a look for a hunting rifle or a truck gun. That 45-70 I saw at the gun shop might just be in my future as well.

For mixed use including field work, it is very difficult to beat a Marlin 1894 in any caliber. Drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Microgroove barrel makes for very good accuracy with jacketed bullets and useable accuracy with hard lead bullets at moderate velocities. Made in USA. These guns have been in production for decades. Search for Marlin versus Henry parts at MidwayUSA or Brownells; there is an obvious choice.