SASS Wire Forum

Any BPCR shooters here?

Cyrus Cassidy #45437

I've been drooling over Sharps rifles since 2004, when I was fortunate enough to return home from Iraq and attend the California state SASS match as a reward to myself (it was held at 5 Dogs Creek in those days!). A fellow shooter / veteran / guest attendee had the "Quigley" model Sharps, and let me shoot quite a few rounds through it. I'm here to tell you, once we dialed in the ladder peep sight, I didn't miss a single shot at 600 yards. Not one. I fell in love with that gun, especially the double set trigger!

So I've wanted one ever since, but only recently did I begin making any real efforts to afford one. Now I'm getting closer to the goal, and I haven't decided between the Old West and Quigley versions.

The Quigley is the heaviest, weighing in at 13.5 pounds. The Old West weighs 11.5 pounds. The thing is, I like the barrel on the Quigley better, but the shape and quality of the stock on the Old West. So it's a toss up.

In any event, although I don't currently shoot BPCR, I would love to someday. Will the heavier 13.5 pound Quigley be allowed in that game? Or should I play it safe and stick with the Old West (man that wood is awesome!)?

Edited by Cyrus Cassidy #45437

Which ever you buy be sure it has a shotgun style buttstock and not a crescent. The Crescent may look cool but it can be brutal.

Lots of good info here www.BPCR.net

I made a mistake and did not realize there were two different shooting disciplines.

Link to the correct discipline rule book NRA Rifle Silhouette Rules. Section 3 covers Equipment. 3.4 is BPCR

Original link is to the NRA Black Powder target Rifle Rules

Edited by Sedalia Dave

I have a Pedersolie Creedmore Rolling Block 45/70 .

Its heavy as all get out .

Love it.

And Yes the shotgun style is much better then

a pointed heavy recoiling smack in shoulder .

I dont get to shoot is much in Cowboy matches.

But I love to take her to the range and ding some steel at 500 yards with a home rolled 405 gr BP load I make myself .

Which ever you buy be sure it has a shotgun style buttstock and not a crescent. The Crescent may look cool but it can be brutal.

Lots of good info here www.BPCR.net

NRA BPCR Rules

Thanks, it looks like 15 pounds is the limit, so the Quigley would be allowed.

Please read the rules again. 15 lbs is for Scoped Rifle. 12 lbs 2 oz for Iron Sights installed. Also, the shotgun butt is no joke. Sillouette matches can run 60 to 90 rounds and the recoil is accumulative. If shooting a 45, bullets of 500-540 gr are the norm. You will also want a good shoulder pad(See Buffalo Arms catalog, Just send them your best credit card. Don't ask me how I know.....).

Get the best sights you can afford. MVA is the go to but there are some other good sights out there. I have shot BPCR Sillouette for 16 yrs and the first 14 were with Iron sights. Had to go to a scope when the turkeys disappeared.

BPCR is one of the most challenging events you can shoot. The animal profiles are very small in the sights.

Animal must fall to count as a hit.

Chickens at 100 meters are shot offhand, so rifle weight is an issue. If you hit one or two in a 10 shot string you jump up and down.

97.38% of the shooters shoot prone for the other 3 sets of targets.

Check the rules on shooting sticks.

All BP so keeping the barrel free from fouling is an issue. Most push a patch down the barrel after each shot.

MVA Soule rear with the longest staff is the go to site for the sight type. That and a hooded front site with a spirit level.

You will enjoy a shotgun style butt plate and a shoulder pad. A match without warm-up shots just sighters on the clock will be around 60 rounds.

The ladder sight is good if all you ever shoot at are ranges with no wind! Also very difficult to perform fine tuning adjustments on the clock. I've shot in the wind with enough adjustment that I am 8' off of the target to hit steel.

Go to a match and watch whats going on. Very educational.

Ike

Shotgun buttstock goes against the shoulder like you are probably used to. A crescent buttstock actually gets mounted to your extreme upper arm right at the joint. The Toe of the buttstock (Lower point) goes into your armpit and not against your chest.

A dozen rounds is not too bad. Shooting close to 100 is a different story.

I have a Pedersolei Quigley rifle in 45-120. It is a fine rifle, accurate and fun to shoot but! Full power 535g loads start to hurt in less than 10 rounds. The crescent but will bite hard if you get it in the wrong place. 45-120 brass is not always available so 45-70 is a better choice for component availability and a bit less recoil.

All make good rifles, Pedersoli, C. Sharps and Shiloh. I've had all three and to me a Shiloh is truly a work of art. I've seen fine shooters of all brands, but as mentioned above, they are only as good as the sights. MVA makes great stuff, a little expensive but well worth the extra precision. When I bought a Shiloh, I went thru Bill Goodman and cut the wait time by a year and a half. He has orders in the pipeline all the time and can change one to exactly what you want. Lot of money for a Shiloh, but I figure there ain't no luggage rack on a hearse.....

Please read the rules again. 15 lbs is for Scoped Rifle. 12 lbs 2 oz for Iron Sights installed. .

Pard, you must be quoting a specific organization's rules or your local club rules. But the NRA rules as linked by someone else above clearly state a 15 pound limit in all the classes.

BPTR(what was linked)and BPCR are NOT the same game. Different rules and weight limits.

Been shoot'n BPCR for many years.

Here's the BPCR rules.

http://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-results_schedules/documents/NRA_rules_for_BPCR.htm

That 15lb weight limit is for a scoped rifle. 12lbs.2oz w/o scope, in BPCR

The military style butt stock is not your friend in recoil or for sight alignment at longer ranges.

I strongly urge you to look 'hard' at a Shiloh 1874, #1 in either .45-70 or .45-90(what I use).

https://shilohrifle.com/rifles/1874-sharps-rifle/1874-long-range-express-clone/

OLG

BPTR(what was linked)and BPCR are NOT the same game. Different rules and weight limits.

Been shoot'n BPCR for many years.

Here's the BPCR rules.

http://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-results_schedules/documents/NRA_rules_for_BPCR.htm

That 15lb weight limit is for a scoped rifle. 12lbs.2oz w/o scope, in BPCR

The military style butt stock is not your friend in recoil or for sight alignment at longer ranges.

I strongly urge you to look 'hard' at a Shiloh 1874, #1 in either .45-70 or .45-90(what I use).

https://shilohrifle.com/rifles/1874-sharps-rifle/1874-long-range-express-clone/

OLG

My mistake I did not realize there were two different shooting disciplines. I purposely did not use the rules on BPCR.net because there is no date stating when they were last updated. The rule book on the NRA site was revised in March 2016

Link to the correct discipline rule book NRA Rifle Silhouette Rules. Section 3 covers Equipment. 3.4 is BPCR

• Like 1