SASS Wire Forum

So... on to the next question: S x S shotguns...

Kokak d' Frog

We were out at our favorite store (Bass Pro) this weekend and BJM (Butter J' Mouse), my wife, started looking at S x S shotguns. I told her I would have the stock on my old Stevens S x S cut down for her and we would share, but her response was "I want my own". I have been married to this young lady for 23 years now and I know not to try and convince her of anything. Plus... having another Shotgun, is not a bad thing...

So she lookied at a Stoeger S x S Coach Gun Uplander Combo. This is the Coach gun with a 20" barrel but includes the Uplander 28" barrel for $499.00 + Tax and DROS (~$80)

Then she started looking online (Davidson Guns) and found the Cimarron 1878 Coach Gun with a 20" barrel, Hammers and a lifetime replacement warranty for $580 (out the door).

So I come to you with yet another question; which of the 2 above guns sounds good to you?

I have the predessor to the 1878 in the ttn and like it for classic when I don't shoot my 87. I never had a stoeger. If the stoeger is hammerless and she doesn't shoot classic cowgirl I'd go with the stoeger as it will be faster. Personally I'd check with Johnny Meadows to see if he's got a baikal in you price range or if you really want to treat her get her an skb.

I have two Stogers .

One I have been using for 8 or 9 years now.

The other one was bought as a back up

But never needed it yet !

Just saying :-)

• Like 1

I would highly suggest your lady go to the clubs closest to you and shoot all the shotguns that she sees before making a purchase. Especially those used by the ladies of the club. You have have some excellent lady shooters at that club and they can show her how to properly shoulder the gun without getting bruised.

Your old Stevens will serve you well till you find something better. Cutting the stock to fit her will turn it into a nose buster for you.

Mary has 5 Marlin 1894s, two sets of Cattleman 357 but she's stuck on her Stoeger Uplander. She's shot my Stoeger coach gun and would take it if she wanted it but she loves the Uplander. It points better and opens easier.

I have a Cimerron 1878 with 26" barrels. It actually feels lighter than the 20" models my buddies have. They looked it over and commented that it points and balances better. Who'd figure?

Since your darling bride is making her own choices, best listen to what she wants.

THE most Cowboy is the Cimarron 1878. THE best value for dollar is the Cimarron 1878.

At this point Speed ... or "faster" should be the least of your worries. It'll be a while before she gets "fast."

Coffinmaker

What ever SHE wants make sure it is cut to fit her.Go to shoots and get her to try the ladies' shotguns.

Just as an added...

I will be reloading 12ga specifically for her. I will be having her try some 3/4 oz and 7/8 oz loads. There is a slight chance I will be able to get her out to the Skeet and or Trap range with me. For this reason I am leaning towards "recommending" the Stoeger Coach/Uplander combo. But I really like the Cimarron (for myself).

Thanks for all the great advice everyone Please keep it coming.

Edited by Kokak d' Frog

Just as an added...

I will be reloading 12ga specifically for her. I will be having her try some 3/4 oz and 7/8 oz loads. There is a slight chance I will be able to get her out to the Skeet and or Trap range with me. For this reason I am leaning towards "recommending" the Stoeger Coach/Uplander combo. But I really like the Cimarron (for myself).

Thanks for all the great advice everyone Please keep it coming.

If she has trouble with recoil, consider real black powder loads. I make 7/8 ounce BP loads that are milder than any smokeless load I've tried and they reliably knock down the poppers. I can send you the recipe if you're interested.

If she has trouble with recoil, consider real black powder loads. I make 7/8 ounce BP loads that are milder than any smokeless load I've tried and they reliably knock down the poppers. I can send you the recipe if you're interested.

Absolutely! That's how Mary started shooting a shotgun. Bitter cold winter with snow on the ground. I put some laundry detergent jugs on sticks. She loved blasting away at them. They would often jump off the sticks. She would blow them down the hill. Good therapy!

Definitely have her test the shotguns.

The recoil of the Stoeger can be a problem for many due of the drop of the stock and the slightly lighter weight. Some have no problem with it, but my bride and a few others hated them, even with recoil reducers, padded stock, lighter loads, etc.

If that is the case, contact Johnny as mentioned for a slicked up Baikel.

The external hammer guns are fun, but a bit more challenging for someone to start, slower for practically all of us, and they are heavier, if that matters.

Don't automatically assume all women are recoil sensitive. Mary had done almost no shooting before getting into CAS two years ago. Certainly nothing that had any recoil. I gave her some basic instructions on butt placement and hold and she took to it like a duck to water.

One day at Wally-World I loaded 10 boxes of AA Featherlights in the cart. She says, "Do we need these?". I explained they were at a good price with the $2/box rebate and they had less recoil. She replied, "What's the fun in that?".

This summer she wanted a 1911. We shoped at a half-dozen gun shops. Most salesmen cautioned her on the recoil and drug her over to see the pretty pink 380s. No, she wanted a 1911 in 45ACP. And she got one. Shoots it just fine.

I think once past propper hold and technique, the rest is mental. I've seen big, husky men that can't handle recoil.

Make sure she handles an 1878 before you buy one for her, they are very heavy. I shot one for years and really like it but it started making my elbow hurt due to the weight. I went backto a Stoeger for a while and then made the mistake of buying an SKB. Now I have 2 SKB's and doubt if I could ever go back to anything else.

3/4 oz loads will knock down anything we shoot if you hit it.

Randy

Make sure she handles an 1878 before you buy one for her, they are very heavy. I shot one for years and really like it but it started making my elbow hurt due to the weight. I went backto a Stoeger for a while and then made the mistake of buying an SKB. Now I have 2 SKB's and doubt if I could ever go back to anything else.

3/4 oz loads will knock down anything we shoot if you hit it.

Randy

If you put powder in it :D

and assuming no one is holding the rope to keep it up ;)

Just buy'em BOTH for her. Then sell the one she doesn't want.

If you use Unique powder. I have a 1oz, 12ga load that has less recoil the 'Featherlites'.

Just PM me for loads details as we will be struck by lightning, if we post load info on the open forum. :o:rolleyes::lol:

OLG

I agree with OLG. Buy 'em both and let her pick her favorite, or keep both if it suits her. They each suit a different purpose and both have their merits. Remember we don't buy guns, we just rent them. Play with 'em both for awhile.

I would say go with the Stoeger. Hammerless is the way to go. I shot a TTN hammered shotgun for 4 -5 years and when I went back to hammerless it was a joy! I got rid of my hammer guns and now have 2 Stoegers and a Baikal.

Hammered shotguns are definitely the most "cowboy" but I like to try and go as fast as I can so the hammerless is my choice! ;)

I would highly suggest your lady go to the clubs closest to you and shoot all the shotguns that she sees before making a purchase. Especially those used by the ladies of the club. You have have some excellent lady shooters at that club and they can show her how to properly shoulder the gun without getting bruised.

Your old Stevens will serve you well till you find something better. Cutting the stock to fit her will turn it into a nose buster for you.

Why I have no idea but a lot of ladies like the 97.

My bride Sunny Spurs (a little drink of water) shot a Stoeger for a hand full of years because that's what she was given to shoot. Didn't know what she was missing.....until she shot a slicked up SKB. :o

Shortly after that she had an SKB. She said to sell the Stoeger cause she would never shoot it again. :lol:

My bride Sunny Spurs (a little drink of water) shot a Stoeger for a hand full of years because that's what she was given to shoot. Didn't know what she was missing.....until she shot a slicked up SKB. :o

Shortly after that she had an SKB. She said to sell the Stoeger cause she would never shoot it again. :lol:

Ditto. I got my SKB from Johnny Meadows and I can't imagine shooting a Stoeger again. Ya really do get what you pay for most of the time and this was no exception.

I have always heard how well the 1878 is made, but when I opened mine up, it appeared that every part was made in a blacksmith shop. It was absolutely crude I may have just been the unlucky one. Wouldn't be the first time

I have shot a TTN (1878 knockoff) for 10 years with no problems. No they are not as fast as a hammerless SxS, unless you watch

T -Bone Dooly shooting. But you win on style. Also, as many have stated, they are heavy; guess what, a lot less recoil.

Cheers, Hoss C.

I have always heard how well the 1878 is made, but when I opened mine up, it appeared that every part was made in a blacksmith shop. It was absolutely crude I may have just been the unlucky one. Wouldn't be the first time

I was not impressed with some of the first ones I saw. But I ran across one in a gunshop that really impressed me. I showed it to three guys at a match that all shoot the 1878 clone and they all agreed that my gun out of the box was fitted and much better than there's. Even every screw was timed - a mark of quality gun.

20161013_084114_zps4v91fuba.jpg

Colt 1878 10 gauge foreground, Cameron 1878 center, Colt 1878 12 gauge background.

Of the three, the Cimarron has the lightest hammer springs. The Colt 12 has lock springs that could be used on a dump truck. So stong it's a struggle to cock both at one time.

20161013_135129_zps3fpycdgc.jpg

Colt lock above Cimarron.

Mary's Stoeger Uplander weights just a bit over 7 pounds. The 26" Cimarron weights just over 7.5 pounds.