SASS Wire Forum

AD With A Semi Auto Pistol

Yul Lose

I watched a video that Brother King posted on another forum of a semi auto pistol accidentally discharging when the slide closed. I haven't had much experience with that type of firearm so I was wondering if a semi auto could slam fire if your finger was on the trigger when the slide closed like an 1897 shotgun. If the slide slammed shut could it AD without your finger on the trigger or does it depend on the firearm?

The only semi-auto handguns Im familiar with are the 1911 type. After reading your post I unloaded my Colt Combat Commander ( a short 1911) and with a dummy round I held the trigger back and released the slide. Hammer stayed cocked. Another type of semi- auto maybe an AD would happen but not with the 1911 type.

YUL,

of the semi auto pistols I am familiar, the trigger has a 'reset', which means the trigger must be relieved somewhat for the internals to function correctly for the next shot.

Please note that I did not say the trigger has to be 'released' from your finger but rather 'relieved' a little to reset the action correctly.

Some semi autos have a great reset distance while others have a short reset, like the SIG P320, which is a striker fire pistol.

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054

Every automatic pistol has a "disconnector". This pevents the gun from firing until the trigger is released and repulled.

If you are holding the trigger back and trip the slide release, the gun thinks you have just fired, so will not shoot again until the trigger is released AFTER the slide is closed.

The reason the 97, the 12, the 1890 22 (and its copies) and the Ithaca 37 will "slam fire" is because they were designed without a disconnector.

A gun of any type that has a disconnector will not "slam fire", unless something is broken.

"Without" your finger on the trigger is highly improbable. A 1911 has a floating firing pin, theoretically with a weak spring, etc etc it is THEORETICALLY possible. Most likely somebody screwed up. Like all those accidents that happen while "cleaning" guns. As was said, the disconnector should prevent it. That's one of the tricks with a light trigger 1911 is to drop the slide on a round WITH the trigger depressed to prevent sear-hammer sear damage when dropping the slide. Most likely someone had their finger on the "go" button and accidentally pulled it when the slide dropped.

JHC

It would certainly depend on the design of the firearm. While the M1911 and the A1 version have disconnectors and inertia firing pins, and are designed NOT to discharge when the slide slams home, it might be possible for dirt in the wrong place in its innards, or a broken part to result in an AD. I was taught to keep my thumb on the hammer spur, when releasing the slide, just in case the sear slipped and allowed the hammer to follow the slide, the half-cock notch notwithstanding. Certain foreign versions of the 1911, such as the Argentine model do NOT have inertia firing pins, and the pin, with the hammer down can contact the primer!

Thanks for the enlightenment. I visited a LGS today and asked the young man behind the counter the same question and he looked at me like I was speaking Martian. Now I have decided to purchase a small semi auto and getting my CCW restored would you all recommend the SIG P238 or the S&W M&P both in 9mm?

Yul-If semi-auto HG goes bang, when you chamber a round and your finger is OFF the 'pedal'. You have a defective gun-PERIOD!

I've carried 'autos' all my life. Look hard at the S&W Shield, in 9mm. I have one any really like it. My primary CCW gun is a H&K USP Compac .45acp. My 'summer' gun is a S&W 640 .357 Mag. It weights 15oz, loaded. Great for pocket carry.

OLG

Just a suggestion, check out the Glock 43. I bought one not long ago and love it for carry. Only drawback is it comes as a 6+1 capacity, price paid for it being single stack but SKINNY! I got some MagGuts adapters that increase capacity to 7+1, seem to work fine. It's a 9mm but just shoots like H*ll for a little pistol.

My 2 cents,

JHC

My EDC is a S&W MP Body Guard 380 .

True Double action with a hammer .

If the round dont go off you just pull the trigger again.

Kinda Like a revolver .

Put some Big Dot sights on it and you have a great pocket Carry Gun .

Im so used to it being in my pocket .

I even carry it when I carry one of My 1911's.

So My EDC is MP Bodyguard a Kershaw pocket Knife and a Shurefire pocket light.

I have seen pistols discharge when the slide was released and 2 of those were 1911 style pistols. In every case I have witnessed, except for 1, it was because the owner was dinking around with the works trying to "modify" it somehow or using "bargain" gun show parts. Once it was because the gun was so filthy the firing pin was stuck fully forward. No gun design is immune to ignorance, stupidity or being a cheap skate.

Yul, both guns that you mention are good choices for carry but, like the advice every new to our sport shooter gets here, try and shoot them before you buy them. If you can rent them at a range or shoot a friend's it would be a good thing.

Me personally, I carry revolvers because I trust them but , Lumpy made a good recommendation on the S&W Shield. I have not shot one yet but everyone I know that owns one raves about them. Especially the fiber optic sighted ones. I am seriously considering one myself and I am renting one at a gun range this week to try it out.

I do recommend you determine how you wish to carry before making a decision as well and take the recommedations of people with experience, not what some yahoo at a gun magazine says.

If you just want to carry in a pocket any of the .380's mentioned by our Pards above would be good choices but use a pocket holster sleeve.

Ankle carry - Galco Ankle Glove. Your ankle bone will thank you.

IN the Waist Band holsters - comfort is king but I personally hate them. AND you have to buy trousers just to fit you with an extra 2 or 4 inches in waist band.

Shoulder holster - you always need a cover garment.

Those fancy under shirt or belly band holsters - if you aren't a skinny man they tend too roll and bunch up all wrong.

Outside the waste band - one of my favorites. You have to wear a cover garment.

I mostly carry in a vest pocket position but that requires a cover garment. If i can't wear a cover garment I ankle carry or keep it in a back pack but I ride motorcycles so carrying a pack doesn't look odd or attract the wrong attention.

Try to steer clear of the latest rage BS, like; appendix carry. Look at what's tried and true for your body shape. Also, think about how you will carry while driving, while shopping, while going out to dinner, etc... Select a method that matches you life, not alters it...too much ;-)

There are all kinds of things to think about when going CCW. Not just which gun.

Just so you know I have carried the following:

AUTOs

1911's .45s (3 different ones)

Glock 19 9mm - fat

Glock 34 9mm - too big

Glock 26 - a loaner. Would not recommend.

Kel Tek P3AT .380 - too light for recoil

REVOLVERS

NEF .32 Mag revolver - ugh...

S&W 442 .38

S&W 36 .38

S&W 327 .357 -too big

S&W 60 Pro .357 - almost too long

My personal favorite - S&W 442

Also, just so you know, I am considering the S&W Shield because it's slim and has a good reputation. But, if recoil is too abrupt I won't buy one.

Any CCW gun that isn't "fun" to shoot or too uncomfortable to carry should be overlooked.

I hope this help you some.

Pat Riot - by no means an expert

Howdy,

It could be good old crud and dirt.

Any gun with a 'sliding' firing pin CAN have the fp jam forward.

When the bolt is shoved forward that pin hits the round and BANG.

Ive seen it and heard it too. But the gun was pointed downrange as it should

and no one was bleeding.

Gotta clean stuff once in a while.

And then keep it pointed in a safe direction.

:)

Best

CR

In my early gunsmithing days I started playing around with 1911 "Race" guns. Before I really knew what I was doing I had a few that fired while holding the trigger. That was quite an experience because before you know it, all 8 rounds are fired........If the disconnector isn't working right, you got yourself an automatic!