SASS Wire Forum

WTB chaparral arms model 1876 winchester musket

Wild Willi

Hi Willi,

Not to rain on your Parade (yes I am), but your chances of finding a Chaparral '76 that is functional and safe to shoot is only about 40-60.

The majority of their guns are KRAP. There are NO parts available.

Coffinmaker

About 5 years ago there was a warehouse full. A company was trying to dispose of the lot, but they were pretty.

Edited by Frontier Lone Rider, SASS# 73063

Interesting request,

I had one, once upon a time. Sold it before I shot it. Lucky to lose just some of my money. I worked on a Chaparral Short 1876 rifle, with the 22" barrel ( the best part of the gun), in 45-75 caliber. Fell in love with the 45-75, wonderful caliber. I worked on it around one year, even replaced everything I could with original Winchester parts. Still was unreliable on shooting an entire magazine. Every 5th or 6th round failed to go off. Pretty much sucked. Took a big hit and was lucky to sell it. The buyer understood the problem with the gun.

I figure you know what your doing. Good luck if you find one.

​ I have a 24 or26n in rifle I got years ago then I haven't shot long range since. So its unfired and han

ging on my wall. I think who ever I got it from thru some shells in on the deal of $1000.

Hell my son has moved out of Montana so I can't give it to him.