SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1873 Trigger Block Safety

FJ Hutch

I have just received a Miroku Winchester Short rifle and the trigger-block mechanism is causing me problems. I actually have to continuously squeeze the lever up tight to the stock to fire and sometimes fumbling to get it right.

Is there some way of fixing this.

The trigger spring and the trigger block safety are the same spring. There are at present no replacements. You will have to gently bend the safety side of the spring just a bit or make your own spring. I clipped the spring and made a lighter coil spring for the safety side.

Lighter hand wound coil on the left. On the right is the stock spring that has been clipped. Note the bottom of the spring is left as a "J". If you cut the stock spring and don't leave the "J" it will tip over.

PA133765_zps0wgsytfz.jpg

Edited by Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933

I thought these turkeys were supposed to be the cats pajamas right outta the box! For the price, they ought to shoot themselves. (LOL)

Al

I thought these turkeys were supposed to be the cats pajamas right outta the box! For the price, they ought to shoot themselves. (LOL)

ALL cowboy guns are kits almost ready to fire.

Price has little to do with it. If the gun looks good and moves off the shelf, it's "good enough" and now someone else's problem (other than the manufacturer). :lol:

Good luck, GJ

Mr. Pettifogger,

Nice design - looks very similar to the light weight level safety springs being made for the Uberti. Maybe one of the entrepreneur gunsmiths will start making these for the Winchester. In the mean time looks like owners of the Winchester 73 are on their own. What size wire spring did you use?

ALL cowboy guns are kits almost ready to fire.

Price has little to do with it. If the gun looks good and moves off the shelf, it's "good enough" and now someone else's problem (other than the manufacturer). :lol:

Good luck, GJ

I just wish they were all screwed up "the same way" rather than a mystery, every time you get into one. They're all soooo different!

You talking guns now, or did the subject change? :lol::huh: