SASS Wire Forum

It was so cold today..

Utah Bob #35998

After I got done plowing. I came in a whipped up a pot of SOS for lunch. Haven't done that in.....well

I never have. :D

Howdy

So cold I decided to grow a beard....

Best

CR

ps-the bird feeder has had a huge attendance today....I wonder if they know something?

Edited by Chili Ron

Hit 50 last midnight, 18 now and headed down, down, down.

Official Army recipe is ground beef and cream sauce.

Official Quartermaster recipe calls for 18 lbs of meat. I used slightly less. ;)

http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/publications/recipes/section_l/L03000.pdf

What is SOS?

yuk yuk :-)

My dad was a career Army officer.

When we were little, He'd often whip the stuff up on Saturday morning (if he didn't go in), roll our asses out of bed for breakfast saying we were having SOS for breakfast, only he'd say what it was. We'd scramble in there and wolf it down and ask for seconds. We didn't know it as "SOS;" we never caught any flak for using its given name. :-)

:-)

Official Army recipe is ground beef and cream sauce.

Don't think that was actually ground beef, ground something :blink:

42 yesterday with rain on top of the 16" of snow that was piled up. This morning everything has turned to ice and it's going to be a high of around 32!!

Good news is I'm meeting a couple pards for lunch at Texas Roadhouse! ;)

I must have been blessed. I had great food in the army. SOS was very good.

It got up to +30 degrees Fahrenheit, this morning. Maybe the really cold weather

has gone back to Canada. I hope.

I hope all you fellers are enjoying your global warming. I've been cold all day and our high is only 61.

OBTW, I've never been hungry enough to eat SOS or Spam. My Dad loved both of them and neither Mom nor I could stand the sight or the smell of either. I sure do miss the ole feller though!

PF

I hope all you fellers are enjoying your global warming. I've been cold all day and our high is only 61.

OBTW, I've never been hungry enough to eat SOS or Spam. My Dad loved both of them and neither Mom nor I could stand the sight or the smell of either. I sure do miss the ole feller though!

PF

You're kidding us, right?

"Only" 61??? We won't see 61 until next April, if we're lucky.

There's a school of thought that the climate change we appear to be experiencing is not truly "global warming"; it's worsening of the extremes - colder Winters and warmer Summers, not warmer all year. Not quite sure how Man could have made that happen....

LL

A Chinook coming through, our temp is jumping up to +32 F. However the Chinook winds will be gusting to 55 mph.

After I got done plowing. I came in a whipped up a pot of SOS for lunch. Haven't done that in.....well

You are evil. I went immediately to the kitchen and mixed up a one pound version. GOOD stuff.

Mom used to make it using the chipped beef in the little jars. A little salty, but I thought it was fairly good.Poured over toast :blush:

The original used chipped beef from a dried chunk.

You're kidding us, right?

"Only" 61??? We won't see 61 until next April, if we're lucky.

There's a school of thought that the climate change we appear to be experiencing is not truly "global warming"; it's worsening of the extremes - colder Winters and warmer Summers, not warmer all year. Not quite sure how Man could have made that happen....

LL

Sooo, you are questioning the ideas of Al Gore?

Yeah, me too.

PF

My folks, may they rest In peace, were married for 67 years. The closest they ever got to a divorce was when my Dad got back from Europe after WWII. He warned my Mom, if she ever served him Spam, he would divorce her on the spot! I've never had Spam. Saw one of the episodes on the food contest, "Chopped" where one ingredient the chefs had to use was "canned ham". Sure looked like Spam to me, but without the label! :ph34r: I think the only time I ever had SOS was in AFROTC summer camp. Never during active duty, than heavens!

I love to make SOS once in awhile. Army style with hamburger or Marine / Navy style with chipped beef. Add a dash of tabasco and some fresh ground black pepper and it's a meal all by itself.

What is SOS?

Boy, does your education have a gap that needs to be filled... soon!.

THAT WAS MY FAVORITE BREAKFAST IN THE CHOW HALLS. Can't find it in civilian eateries, though.

Stauffer's makes a passable frozen mix that works when I'm in a hurry. Over toast, biscuits, even English muffins. It stick to your ribs like the real McCoy.

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935