SASS Wire Forum

Dogs

Sawhorse Kid

Jackson, our current Heeler aussie shephard mix, is a rescue from a rescue sort of. My son took care of him while the neighbor owner was out of town (her little daughter not knowing better had mistreated him) and they never came over to take him back. Then my sons American Bulldog decided Jackson was competition and should not live so we got him.

Jezebel wandered up at work almost nine years ago. She was filthy and had bite wounds on her head, face, and ears as well as on her shoulders. There were open sores on her hind legs where someone had tied wires around them to restrain her from moving forward. As near as we can figure, she had been used as a "punching bag" to train dogs for fighting. She still bears the scars!!

I took her home and we cleaned her up and got her medical attention. She is the sweetest dog we've ever had and loves people!! She always had impeccable manners, even on the day she walked up to where the company I worked for was having a picnic. She just walked up and sat down near the edge of the party and everyone could see she'd been abused. I had the caterers make her up a plate of scraps and the next day she was in my truck and headed to my house.

She's great with kids and dotes on my grandson and Schoolmarm! She's playful when she's awake, but she's absolutely the laziest dog in existence and in the eight years we've had her, there are NO pictures of her on her feet!! :lol::lol::lol:

She mostly doesn't like dogs and won't tolerate them in her yard!! She DID warm up to Forty Rod's little dog when we visited him this last summer!!

Edited by Blackwater 53393

I've got two border collies. The first one is my male dog, Bo. He's a hoot. Smartest damn dog I've ever seen. When you look into his eyes you can just about see the wheels turning and him thinking. I've watched him look at the door and figure out how it works so that he can get in. He's the reason I have to keep my door locked when I'm home. He's also got a sense of humor and likes to play pranks on us. I got him in a silent auction at my church. He was donated as part of the fund raiser. He's been the best dog I've ever had.

My second one is my female, Bailey. She's a brat. I was about to leave for a shoot and stopped to say goodbye to Bo and saw a little border collie puppy in my back yard. She was wormy and needed help so I took her in. She's worthless. She's very smart but will only do things for you if there's something in it for her. She's sweet though and loves to cuddle up and be held. She's also a talker and we'll "argue" back and forth. It's hilarious.

Marlin is a rescue Rottweiler. She was born in a puppy mill in Missouri and sold thru a Pet Shop in Conn. Her mother is also her sister--- The people that bought her abandoned her at 5.5 months at a shelter and we were able to get her from there, delivered to the Vermont border. She is the sweetest thing and I'm sure she knows she was rescued. I have met many rescue dogs in my work career and they all seem to know they are now in a forever home. I highly recommend rescues, they will pay it back over & over.

Merry Christmas,

EH

Let me stress I am allergic to dogs. And cats. And the timothy grass which is in hay. As in I took shots for years, and do a twice daily inhaler, an as needed inhaler and an antihistamine. It was adult onset, and I missed one deployment due to needing a Medical Review to see if I would be medically discharged. When I deployed to Kuwait, I pretty much stopped all of my medications. I kept an inhaler handy, but don't recall using it after a month or so there. I even sat through a Methacholine Challenge (a type of asthma test) while in Kuwait and passed. In essence, I am allergic to my lifestyle.

All three (!) of our dogs are horse show dogs. That is, all three were purchased at horse shows from what I would call "hobby breeders." People who take good care of their dogs but happen to have an enjoyment of a particular breed. They also didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Our oldest, Rowan, is an Australian Shepherd, we picked up because my kids wanted to go through the "puppy tent" at the Quarter Horse Congress. We had another Aussie, that was an excellent dog for us, protective, friendly and patient. Her herding instinct was on display early on, with cats and kids. Rowan has been all of that, although a little more willing to challenge for alpha status on occasion.

Second is Olive, a Jack Russell. I almost feel she is a rescue because she was a runt, and all of the people that looked at the puppies kind of ignored her. My wife was instantly attracted to her, and we got her for much less than they wanted for the others. She is the most "one person" dog I have ever seen, being completely devoted to Mrs. Doc. She is happy to be with me or one of my daughters, until Mrs. Doc comes around, then she is right over to her. The reason we got her was because my wife wanted more of a "lap dog" while I was deployed. By all accounts, with all that went on during my deployment, Olive helped her keep her sanity.

Finally, Piper, a Border Collie, was picked up while I wasn't around. I got a call from Mrs. Doc while I was on my way to my my first ever match, at Miami Valley Cowboys, asking what my thoughts were on getting another dog. She insisted if I said "no" it wouldn't happen, but I was pretty sure by the tone of her voice that wasn't the case. I told her I thought it was "a horrifically bad idea, but if she did bring one home, I would treat it as well as the others." It seems the "horrifically bad idea" part got lost somewhere along the way. My daughter claims another lady wanted the dog, but her husband seemed the abusive kind and insisted the dog would stay in the basement. Again, we didn't pay an arm and a leg. My wife's horse trainer got Piper's full sister, and she is amazingly intelligent. Piper, not so much. She is as sweet as can be though, and very loving, so that makes up for it.

My youngest daughter suffers from severe anxiety, so it was suggested she get a "support dog." She picked up a true rescue dog from a "no kill" shelter. Part Dachshund and part Beagle, and all attitude and rottenness. He is a handful. Fun and loving, but a handful. Thankfully, she is living in an apartment off campus, so he only comes by on occasion.

Oh, did I mention we have three cats, that like to sleep around me at night?

I love dogs, tolerate cats, but I want my own apartment, with wooden floors, multiple HEPA filters, and an aquarium. I bet I could breathe easy then. Literally.

Edited by DocWard

Captain Jack, my best friend next to my wife, was from PAWS. He and many others are

waiting for me at the Bridge.

We elected not to get another because of our age and our health, but we send a

"Christmas donation" gift each year to the local shelter.

I miss old Jack every day. He was my protection against the squirrels when I walked

down to the corner to get the mail each day. Also, my neighbor had a treat for him at the

end of the trip down. He would stay and visit with them and then come home when it was

time to do so. He had his own schedule.

Edited by Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172

I've hd three pedigreed dogs, a Cocker spaniel, a beagle, and a Portuguese podengo.

I have had two chihuahua mixes, a dachshund, a couple more beagles, a Springer spaniel, an English pointer, a pair of Boston terriers, and a bulldog, all unpapered and unbranded and, when I got them, untamed.

Only two dogs I ever gave up on: the dachshund and the Springer.

The dachshund was an "ARMY DOG", passed along whenever his family got transferred and never anywhere long enough to bond or be properly trained. He was a pathetic little guy who was neurotic, very timid, and totally confused by his changing world. He ended up an office pet for the military shelter at Naha-Machinato supply area on Okinawa.

The Springer was just plain mean and wouldn't get along with the other dogs. A retired First Sergeant who was working as a civilian at a National Guard unit in Ogden, Utah got him and they were meant for each other.

I prefer rescue dogs because many of them don't have chance if they aren't adopted. I have never found much difference in their intelligence or in any physical way, and they have usually been very loyal, smart, and protective of the family.

Our first dog, a German Short-haired Pointer/Beagle mix puppy was "given" to us by Uno's soon to be BIL who found it wandering on the street with a rope tied around its neck. He told us if we didn't take it from him he would have to take it to the pound because his mother feared dogs. William F. Buckley was the sweetest little guy, dumb as a box of rocks, but very sweet. You could throw the ball and he would start to chase it, then half way into the run he would forget what he was doing and stop to do something else (ala "Look a squirrel"). Our shepherds and shepherd mixes were all from a GSD rescue organization. Some of the best dogs we've ever had. Our remaining dog, a GSD/Husky mix is mom's dog. End of story. When I was going through chemo, she would lay on the floor on my side of the bed to make sure I was OK. If I started to stir, she would go get Uno to alert him that I might need help.

I love cats, I tolerate dogs......or at least I am learning to.

Took my wife 7 years to get a dog into my house.

She rescued a pit bull/bulldog mix.

Then she started fostering them. We frequently have 2-3 dogs running around our house.

The last foster turned out to be pregnant.....now I have 11 dogs in my house. :unsure:

I love dogs, tolerate cats,....

Both of ours are littermate rescues: Salty looks like a Beagle with a fox terrier head and Sailor looks like a HUUUUGE beagle ... with bat wing ears that don't perk up, they swing straight out.

Happy cuddle puppies that shed an amazing amount thanks to their Australian Shedder heritage.

Happy, bouncy, cuddly, loving, lean against your leg and sigh ... until the night a fellow took a shot at a Sheriff's deputy down the street, he escaped their encirclement, ran up our street trying door after door to find a place to hide.

Our warm and cuddly fur factories instantly tried to tear their way through the door as they wished (loudly!) to invite this would-be intruder for dinner.

As the main course.

He decided the climate was healthier elsewhere and sprinted off into the darkness.

Doggies got lots of treats and cuddle pats that night.

Edited by Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103

Caesar - Doberman Pincher - His owners were moving over seas and didn't think it fair the amount of quarantine he would have to endure so asked us if we wanted him. We jumped at the chance. He lived with us for around 3-4 years and passed aged 11 years.

Roxey - German Shepard/Lab mix - Her owner was moving and their new place would allow pets. A friend of a friend took her because she was too good to be just dropped off at the pound. We had just lost Caesar when thar friend brought her around to where Limey worked. He told her to go to her with out letting her know who was Limey. She went straight to her and that is where she stayed. She lived with us for around 5-6 years. She was 13 when she passed.

Kodi - Anatolian(sp?) - we picked him up from Red River Rescue and to date is the only dog we have paid for as well as our first puppy. He is 10 years old and is still going strong even though he is blind in one eye, been bitten by a snake twice and is eaten up with arthritis in his hips. We didn't know anything about the bred and he has taught us a lot.

Emma - German Shepard/Timberwolf mix - Her owner wanted another dog and got her as a puppy. We saw her on the day she was picked up and joked with the owner that if they changed their minds, we would take her. The next day we were asked if we were serious. They really wanted a dog and not a puppy. We knew what they paid for her and told them yes we wanted her, but there was no way we could afford what they paid. We were told not to worry, they were giving her to us. So here we were with our second puppy. 6 years later, she is a firm fixture in our house.

Thor - Mutt - I came upon him while driving home. He was walking down the middle of the road. I wasn't sure who owned him. As we were taking him to the vets, we saw where he came from and pulled in their driveway. They had just come back from vacation and was told by their friend who was taking care of the puppies while they were away, about one puppy that was missing for about 3 days. There was a pack of coyotes around and thought they got him. We asked if they wanted him back in which they did if we didn't want him. Yeah, they didn't get him. He's 5 now and is the most affectionate dog we have ever had.