SASS Wire Forum

Starting out!

RockyCrisp

I've decided to start CAS, I have a coach gun so don't need that. Starting out I want to try to keep costs of firearms down (not much capital to work with). I was thinking about the Rossi R92 or Taurus 45LC Thunderbolt and 2 Traditions Firearms RAWHIDE 1873 45LC. Looking for any advice or help anyone can give me. From Eastern Ky if anyone knows anything going on here or anyone who could lend a helping hand.

• Like 1

I would think that the Rossi would be your best fit to start.I started with a rossi 92 that I will never sale.I keep it as a loan and also to hunt with.Nate and other smiths can make a 92 really slick, and most shooters can not out run a 92.Deuce Stevens and Possum Skinner can run a 92 faster than the a lot of cowboys can run a SS 73 or 66 or a marlin.

• Like 1

Go to a match in your area talk to folks most will let you try out their guns and see what yo like before you start buying.

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Randy

• Like 2

Go to a shoot here and check out their stuff. Go to the affiliated clubs on the main page of the SASS website.

Ponderosa Pines Posse

Manchester, Kentucky, 40962
locate on map Copperhead Joe
jeromejarvis61@gmail.com
606-599-5263 Date of Match: 3rd Saturday
  • Like 1

TN Mongo is RIGHT!! The family at Ponderosa Pines will take good care of you!! They generally shoot from March through September and you'll never feel more welcome!!

The first match of the year is called the Crap Shoot!! You never know what the weather will be, but we'll shoot anyway!! Saturday AND Sunday!!

The '92 and the Rawhides will work to start with. The pump rifle is NOT for someone just starting out. A pair of used Cattlemans will work too!! You CAN do this relatively inexpensively, but a little patience is essential.

EDIT: Welcome to the fun!!

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 1

Go to a match in your area talk to folks most will let you try out their guns and see what yo like before you start buying.

Randy

Agreed, Don't buy anything yet.

• Like 1

unless you need a wall hanger,don't even thing about the Thunderbolt. The rossi 92's are good little carbines,I only gave mine up because a '66 came along at a great price.

I"m not familiar with Tradition's single actions,but my old Uberti's have many many miles on them,and still going.

Welcome to the fun !

• Like 1

Buy whatever you like and go shoot!!!! Dive in with both feet! You're gonna change your mind so many times on guns to use for this sport anyway. So buy what you can and go shoot!!!

I disagree with all that say "Don't buy" until you go to a shoot! Just go shoot!!!! JUST MHO

• Like 2

Starting out I want to try to keep costs of firearms down (not much capital to work with). I was thinking about the Rossi R92 or Taurus 45LC Thunderbolt and 2 Traditions Firearms RAWHIDE 1873 45LC.

Howdy, welcome to the fire! You'll be getting lots of advice here, and the answers may go on for a couple of pages. I'm just going to stick to your questions.

First, between the '92 and the Thunderbolt... hands down the '92 will give you a better outcome. I've HAD a Thunderbolt, don't have it anymore. Was never able to get it to run reliably, and the customer service was awful. I started with a '92, sold it some years later. Finally tracked one down just like it again. It's a strong rifle, can be used for other purposes than CAS. You can fire heavy loads in it and it is a very accurate rifle. You should have it worked over by a Cowboy Gunsmith, or if you're reasonably handy, order the CD and parts from Steve's Gunz and do the action job yourself. Since you are going for price point, this might be the best option in a rifle that can be found in that price range. You might want to rethink shooting .45 unless you reload.

Without reloading, boxes of .45colt are going to be fairly expensive, at more than two boxes per match, plus practice .38's would be less expensive to buy. I'd recommend getting into reloading fairly soon.

For the pistols, you might want to look at the Taylor's Cattleman, in either regular or Gunfighter grips. You really need to handle some guns and see if the regular "plow handle" is for you or if you want the longer "Army" grip. The Cimarron Firearms MP400 and MP411 4-3/4 and 5-1/2" are the same guns. All are at a similar price point to the Traditions pieces, but with better fit and finish. Surprisingly I bought some Cimarron Pre-War type revolvers at EoT back in 2003, and they did not need an action job or lighter springs. Yep, I was surprised, because just about every CAS firearm I own has had action work done on it. No promises, you may not get the same results from ones you buy.

You'll get a lot of advice here... I tried to stay with your posted questions. Welcome, and get out to a match and handle some guns.

Merry Christmas!

~Duc~

• Like 1

Buy whatever you like and go shoot!!!! Dive in with both feet! You're gonna change your mind so many times on guns to use for this sport anyway. So buy what you can and go shoot!!!

I disagree with all that say "Don't buy" until you go to a shoot! Just go shoot!!!! JUST MHO

I'm gonna agree with Mr. Miles here. The Rossi is your best choice of the rifles you mentioned hands down. Those pistols are Pietta made and

are probably decent. Unless you can already reload, .357 is a little cheaper to start out with.

Welcome to the fun!!!

• Like 1

I'm gonna agree with Mr. Miles here. The Rossi is your best choice of the rifles you mentioned hands down. Those pistols are Pietta made and

are probably decent. Unless you can already reload, .357 is a little cheaper to start out with.

Welcome to the fun!!!

Well, we agree on something huh??? Not black powder though!!! :P:lol:

• Like 1

Howdy and welcome.

I agree with the others, go out to some matches even though you don't have your irons, good way to find some used ones that might not even be officially for sale but talking to someone they might say, ya know, I got this in the safe I'd be willing to part with.

Have fun and enjoy the ride!

Grizz

• Like 1

I've decided to start CAS, I have a coach gun so don't need that. Starting out I want to try to keep costs of firearms down (not much capital to work with). I was thinking about the Rossi R92 or Taurus 45LC Thunderbolt and 2 Traditions Firearms RAWHIDE 1873 45LC. Looking for any advice or help anyone can give me. From Eastern Ky if anyone knows anything going on here or anyone who could lend a helping hand.

Welcome, Rocky Crisp! :)

I will roll with McCandless here and throw in my 2 cents on your selections.

Rossi 92 - good choice. Shoot it a bit before getting all "slick up" crazy. Also, just know a Carbine only holds 8 rounds. Most SASS Match stages call for 10 rifle rounds fired but you can load on the clock if you really really have to have a Carbine ;) the 20" barrel holds 10 rounds and the 24" holds 12 rounds in pistol cartridge ammo.

I don't know anything about the Taurus.

The Traditions revolver is a Pietta revolver and they are made in Italy. If you like that revolver I know that Cabela's has them on sale until Dec. 24th at $50 off plus, I believe, they are reduced on top of that.

I have never fired one so I cannot help you there but I will say that if you are on a budget these would probably work nicely until a later date, should you wish to upgrade or get that gun buying bug that seems to afflict everyone in this game. ;) ...Oh, and by the way, Don't let that "Made in Italy" scare you. If that meant "low quality" Taylor's and Co. wouldn't put such a high price on their offerings, I am sure.

One thing you will learn quickly is when you ask for advice here you will get it... :lol:

• Like 1

Rocky,

I understand your enthusiasm and it being winter where you are it is difficult to get to a match. But you can often find nicer used guns for what you may spend on this starter set. Maybe, a good compromise would be to contact the club you will be shooting at and see if any of the members have guns to sell in your price range.

Having said all that the Rossi and Traditions should serve you well. I used a Rossi for many years before it became the limiting factor in my stage times.

Using 38 special ammo in 357 firearms is probably the cheapest route. If you reload 45 would narrow the gap on what you will save compared to 38.

Unless you are mechanically gifted and enjoy tinkering the Taurus should be avoided.

Good luck in your quest,

Smoke

• Like 1

Ah yeas... like Pat Riot said... you might want to go with '92 Rifles instead of a Carbine... reloading on the clock each stage gets to be a pain. I watched a pard do that with his Winchester '94 carbine. Most stages will require 10 rounds in the rifle. Very few 9 round stages and I've only seen one 8 round stage. Personally, I like the front weight of Rifle better, less movement when placing follow-up shots on the same target, and not too heavy to swing easily to other targets. Just personal opinion... all my rifles are octagonal barrel 20"

RC Welcome to the game. One factor that we havent mentioned is how fast you think you will want to go. If you are entering the game to be highly competitive you will probably decide to change guns later on. Lots of the folks that have already responded can shoot twice as fast as I can. your guns, gear and preparation will have a bearing on speed and accuracy. BUT you will find that fast or slow you will find these folks friendly, helpful and fun to be around. People will offer to let you use/try gear and guns and you may be reluctant to pick up someones$1500 rifle and drive it like you stole it. If it is offered try it. You probably wont stay with whatever you start out with and trying other combinations/techniques/classes is actually less expensive in the long run. Hell, we like buying guns and gear. My ex called it Cowboy Heroin

Wartrace TN aint too far for a cowboy roadtrip, lots of folks from East Ky come to Wartrace for our State Match in October, hope to see you here too.

My$.02

Imis

• Like 1

I completely agree. There is always a risk of getting the wrong guns for you, but I would have rather shot with the wrong guns (and indeed did for the first year) than to wait for the right guns and miss out on all that shooting. I think the 92 is your only option if you want to stay within a budget and not use a henry big boy. It'll serve you well, as you will see with many seasoned vets still using them. You can always upgrade later as time and money comes available and still use the 92 as a backup if you do. As for pistols, my only advice would be to at least hold them in your hands for a bit before buying them. Get the ones that fell the best in your hands. I have seen shooters in every discipline use "inferior" guns better than top tier guns because they felt better to them.

Randy

THIS above all else. TRY, before you buy.

Look HARD at Ruger. They are tanks, and their C/S is great.

You may well find some killer deals at your local clubs.

If you don't know this. 99.9% of us, load our own ammo too.

OLG

I bought a Rossi '92 .45 Colt carbine from Nate with his tuning and it held 10 .45 Colt rounds. Sold it a few years back, but I'm sure it held 10. I would agree that if you have limited funds and don't reload, a .38 would be less expensive than .45 Colt.

Welcome, Rocky Crisp! :)

I will roll with McCandless here and throw in my 2 cents on your selections.

Rossi 92 - good choice. Shoot it a bit before getting all "slick up" crazy. Also, just know a (edit 16") Carbine only holds 8 rounds. Most SASS Match stages call for 10 rifle rounds fired but you can load on the clock if you really really have to have a Carbine ;) the 20" barrel holds 10 rounds and the 24" holds 12 rounds in pistol cartridge ammo.

I don't know anything about the Taurus.

The Traditions revolver is a Pietta revolver and they are made in Italy. If you like that revolver I know that Cabela's has them on sale until Dec. 24th at $50 off plus, I believe, they are reduced on top of that.

I have never fired one so I cannot help you there but I will say that if you are on a budget these would probably work nicely until a later date, should you wish to upgrade or get that gun buying bug that seems to afflict everyone in this game. ;) ...Oh, and by the way, Don't let that "Made in Italy" scare you. If that meant "low quality" Taylor's and Co. wouldn't put such a high price on their offerings, I am sure.

One thing you will learn quickly is when you ask for advice here you will get it... :lol:

Ah yeas... like Pat Riot said... you might want to go with '92 Rifles instead of a Carbine... reloading on the clock each stage gets to be a pain. I watched a pard do that with his Winchester '94 carbine. Most stages will require 10 rounds in the rifle. Very few 9 round stages and I've only seen one 8 round stage. Personally, I like the front weight of Rifle better, less movement when placing follow-up shots on the same target, and not too heavy to swing easily to other targets. Just personal opinion... all my rifles are octagonal barrel 20"

The 20" octagon seems to be the most favored, for sure

I bought a Rossi '92 .45 Colt carbine from Nate with his tuning and it held 10 .45 Colt rounds. Sold it a few years back, but I'm sure it held 10. I would agree that if you have limited funds and don't reload, a .38 would be less expensive than .45 Colt.

The 20" carbine or the 20" octagon rifle will load 11 in the tube.

As for the revolvers, these two belonged to Lazarus Long shot before he passed. Lorelei brought these to me to sell for her.

American Western Arms Ultimate SAA - 357 GA# 14305265

American Western Arms Ultimate SAA - 357 GA# 14305267

• Like 2

As one who has played this game longer than most... I've seen people struggle with their decisions over whether to play... and what guns, accoutrements to buy. Decisions that are VERY important to the overall expenses and even the enjoyment of the game... when such person has so little information about how to make good decisions in relation to what guns and gear to buy. I can't begin to count the number of folks that have spent so much to end up either spending 2-3 times as much as their original investment in trying to MAKE their original purpose work, or swappin' out nearly all the firearms to better ones.

While a case can be make to just "buy and shoot", unless you're very knowledgeable about single action revolvers and lever action rifles, understanding what makes them work, and what hinders their true potential, this is really a "are ya fellin' lucky" proposition.

Ergo, buy once, cry once... and the BEST way to ensure that this holds true is to attend a match or two at the local level, and ASK questions of those in attendance. You will need to put yourself out there, no need to be a wall-flower, one thing we all hold in common, is that one time we were all NEW. And, we either gained the knowledge thru help from others, or spent untold hours studying the sport. Take the easy way, introduce yourself and ask questions.

TN Mongo gave you a couple of great pieces of information. Use it. Welcome to the insanity! :D

• Like 1

Howdy Rocky;

Is the reason you're looking at .45 Colt because you're planning on shooting Classic Cowboy?

If so the Rifles you're looking at are not legal in Classic. You'll need a '73 or '66. The '60 Henry is legal but not very practical for Main Match.

If not, .38/.357 is much less expensive to reload.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of Coach gun do you have?

One piece of advise, get the very best you can afford. Like with any other kind of tool there's little worse than having one that's unreliable.

An unreliable tool will give you nothing but a case of the fits and never ending frustration. On top of that it'll cost you more $$$ in the long run. A good tool in hand will give you confidence and you'll be able to focus on your shooting, transitions, etc. instead of wondering if your equipment is going to fail you. This game is supposed to be fun, in my book frustration does not equal Fun.

Like many of the wise sages have already said, get out to some shoots and ask questions, test out as many different firearms as you're offered.

Welcome to the Wild Wild West Show..... :)

Edited by Augustus Goodnight
  • Like 1

I started off with a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 and a Win 94 in .45 colt and a Stoeger shotgun. Those guns are long gone but boy did I have fun the first match I went to. I wasn't last either???

• Like 1

Do a search for other posts like this where I've explain what not to do. The best advice I have is go to local matches before you buy anything and try what's out there the best price isn't always the best deal. I too had a coach gun when I started bought a half a dozen sets of revolvers before finalizing what fit me three in the first month lost a lot of money trading them in on the next set, the rifle is good to start and depending on where you live a fair dear rifle. Just try different guns and leather before committing and spending your money especially if money is tight

Classic cowboy require a hammered double or an 1887 shotgun, two sass legal revolvers in .40 cal or above unless cap and ball and a rifle of the 1873 and earlier design. Repos are ok it's just the design. Your leather also has special limitations the butt of the revolvers must ride above the top of the belt and your required five items or more from the list of cc appropriate accessories like a vest , arm graders, Spurs, chaps, scarf, etc. in the beginning it's best just to learn the cas way then worry about fitting into a category your ideas may change mine have over the years from traditional to gunfighter to frontiersman to duelist to classic cowboy but I had the guns for classic before trying it so I just had to concentrate on the additional items needed. But if money is tight cc guns are legal in all other categories except b-western. So keep that in mind.

Edited by Blackey Cole

Well welcome aboard pilgrim and have lots of fun and meeting fantastic folks that will always be family to you.

Like some of the pards quoted; Attend some shoots and get the feel of the different firearms that will, once found, be a part of you after you choose them.

Take care have fun and see you on the trail some where in time.

Jackrabbit Joe #414

You made a great decision to begin shooting CAS.

Most pards change guns one or two times before they find the ones that suit them.

I loan ,38 Piettas and Rugers, Marlins & Big Boys as well as a 12 97 a double and a 20 gauge Stoeger double to newbies. Probably the local clubs near you have loaner guns available.

The guns I used in the beginning were changed by my third match, <_< I am on my fourth pair of revolvers and that's it. I love my rifle and my shotgun and shoot black powder and .45s and a ten gauge. That's a far cry from my original .38s and 20 gauge and smokeless powder! :D

Have fun, don't be in a hurry and gradually adapt to where you are having an incredibly awesome time. :P

Lots of good info already but I'd recommend not buying anything else. Reach out to the match director of your local club and let them know you are interested. Some clubs have clinics or practice days to orient new shooters. If not, I'd recommend attending a match or two to observe and ask questions. If you decide this is the game for you, come with whatever gear you already have (remember, no buying yet). Bring a few boxes of lead bullet ammo and a box or two of 12 gauge birdshot shells.

I had observed part of a match and decided I wanted to join in. The match director said "don't buy anything" so I showed up for my first match with ammo. No coboy guns, no leather, no cowboy clothes. The "don't buy anything" advice saved me money. I thought I knew which rifle to buy but I tried that brand of rifle at the match and didn't like it. I was able to make an informed choice because I was able to try several different rifles, revolvers and shotguns at my first match.

Just about every knew shooter assumes that they need to buy revolvers and a rifle in .45 Colt. Some of those folks end up selling and buying .38s down the road because the ammo is cheaper (and we shoot a lot of ammo) and the .38s are easier to shoot fast. If you end up choosing the .45, great, but again make that choice as an informed choice.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

I'll add on to what the others have said here; go to a local club, look at what folks are shooting, try a few if you are able. Then, buy what you like!

Also, you might find some here that will help:

most shooters can not out run a 92.Deuce Stevens and Possum Skinner can run a 92 faster than the a lot of cowboys can run a SS 73 or 66 or a marlin.

Pit Bull, this is not intended as insult to you; but the above is one of my pet peeves when folks talk about equipment for this game.

Most folks cannot out drive the capabilities of their family mini van.

But I guarantee they will be faster in a Corvette.

Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewart can likely drive that mini van faster than most could drive the Corvette.

If economics, aesthetics or "John Wayne carried one" is your reason to use a 92, then great.

But just because in the hands of some of the best shooters in the world they can run... That does not make them equitable to a Short Stroked 73.

Any more than a mini van is equitable to the Corvette.