SASS Wire Forum

Firing Squad vs. Lethal Injection

Attorney for a condemned killer, has asked for an alternative to lethal injection, in the State of Virginia.

Apparently the concoction is not thought to be humane and that even a firing squad would be more so.

I didn't think the condemned got a vote. He killed a family of 4 on New Years Day, 2006.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/12/15/death-row-inmates-lawyers-say-theyd-prefer-firing-squad-over-lethal-injection.html

Edited by Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172

An old rope and a tree would do the job and he would get off easier that the family he killed.

Gray was convicted of killing Bryan and Kathryn Harvey and their 9-year-old and 4-year-old daughters during a home invasion. Bryan was a musician and Kathryn was co-owner of the World of Mirth toy store.The Harveys were preparing to host friends for a holiday chili dinner when Gray and another man spotted their open front door. They tied the family up in their basement, where they were stabbed and beaten to death before their house was set on fire. Gray claims he doesn't remember the killings because he was high on PCP. The other man was sentenced to life in prison.

Edited by Maddog McCoy SASS #5672

Here is a report on the cost of Death Penalty cases by state.

I must warn everyone the numbers are staggering.

Most of it is court and lawyers with housing cost on the ridiculous side.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

I believe that firing squad is a too honorable way to die for an animal like this. Go ahead and do lethal injection, if there's a glitch, the backup should be to hit him in the head with a hatchet. That, or the KGB approach...the 9mm headache.

• Like 1

Why don't use the same injection they do for animals? One shot in the leg and they appear to leave us peacefully. Besides I don't see why we need to be humane to some scumbag killer. Life in prison should be shackled in a dungeon to a wall, seems less expensive anyway as compared to the luxo accommodations in some prisons nowadays.

A hit to the back of the cranium with a small hatchet works wonders - and the instrument is reusuable - should last indefinitely.

STL Suomi

• Like 1

The goody-2-shoe folks say if they use too much fluid in the injection it would be over-kill, there4 the proper amount has to be used and no one knows just how much is the right amount. It's all about the criminal and their rights. Why it's called the criminal justice system, not the victim justice system. From one Detective that's been involved in a few death penalty cases. :angry:

I'm one of those who thinks that there is no need to be humane when there was none shown to the victims!

DROWN THE BASTARDS!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

• Like 1

I'm one of those who thinks that there is no need to be humane when there was none shown to the victims!

DROWN THE BASTARDS!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

You didn't ask for one, but:

AMEN!!!!

Or as your lookalike once said:

Just take them rascals out in the swamp

Put 'em on their knees and tie 'em to a stump

Let the rattlers and the bugs and the alligators do the rest

I am pro death penalty.

The problem is that, in too many cases, an agressive DA pushed for the death penalty without enough evidence. A jury was convinced of guilt, but a DA focused more on his or her reputation than the truth leading to a questionable conviction. Then it is like a hair in a biscuit: one is enough to cause doubt for the whole system.

The death penalty should require witness and indisputable evidence. Set the bar very high but then allows a judicial review that takes no more than 30 days and then the sentence is carried out within a few weeks. Then the dp would be the deterent that it should be.

• Like 2

If I were the condemned and allowed to choose between two, I'd choose a firing squad.

But, ol' King Solomon had it right thousands of years ago.

Ecclesiastes 8:11 (HCSB)

11: Because the sentence against a criminal act is not carried out quickly, the heart of the people is filled with the desire to commit crime.

Edited by Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663
  • Like 1

He is supposed to be punished for his crime, If he likes PCP he will down happy.

If you want to punish him, make him go down sober.

Just thinkin' that since it was his drug of choice, there would be no way his lawyer could lodge an objection to it...

I personally feel that anyone convicted of a crime worthy of the death penalty beyond any reasonable doubt should be vanished.

Presented upon sentencing to a team of men in black and whisked away in an unmarked vehicle never to be seen or heard from again.

No prison. No family or friend interaction. Nothing. Think of the psychlogical aspects of that.

One is sentenced then one is gone...forever.

How do they vanish, what happens to them you ask? Who cares. They are gone. No what ifs. No BS. Just gone.

Read about some dude in England, many years ago. He was some kind of Lord or Duke or something.

Anyway, he had this castle. Someone ticked him off, so he had a hole in his castle that was very deep,

maybe fifteen or twenty feet deep.

So he put this guy in the hole and just left him. No food, no water, nuttin.

They did discover bones at a later date. It was thought to be the dude that

ticked him off. The cost would not be sizable in a case like that and you could

use the hole over and over.

Also, one of the punishments for pirates was to put them in a steel cage and hang them

up for public ridicule, again, no food, no water and no protection from the elements.

Those English dudes were a tough bunch.

The fly in my beer is that court lawyers, on both sides, are not after truth but a win. The Duke lacrosse 'rape' case where a DA pushed for convictiins even though all evidence proved the victim was lying is just one example.

The DP has real value as a deterent, but the evidence must include eyewitnesses with no doubt, DNA or other solid proof.

Public hanging and put it on Pay per View with proceeds going to the victim's family!!

Although it would be expensive in terms of fuel and maintenance, a small aircraft could be used to transport the guilty to a deep body of water, two to five miles from the nearest shore. Some old batteries or similar weights tied to the miscreant's feet, and pushed out the aircraft door. If the perp could swim/walk to shore, then he'd be allowed to go free!

Otherwise, I agree with the Mikado..."Let the punishment fit the crime!" Problem with this all is the Constitutional prohibition against "cruel and unusual punishment"!

Public hanging and put it on Pay per View with proceeds going to the victim's family!!

I've said that for years