SASS Wire Forum

Do You Sleep With Your Dog?

Yul Lose

Ever since our little female mini Schnauzer got killed by coyotes the remaining male Charlie has become more and more attached to me. Whenever I go into town he knows it and is waiting by the door to go with me. Today I went to the bank to make a deposit in the drive thru and he started howling like a wolf because he knew the teller was going to send him out a dog biscuit.

Well for about the last week he has followed me down the hall to the bedroom and tried to come into the room with me. My wife is already in bed and I make the dog stay out in the hall. Well he stays there all night on the floor so last night I let him in the bedroom and he made himself a nest down at the end of the bed by my feet and stayed there all night. He's here again tonight sound asleep. Do any of you other dog owners allow your dog to sleep in the bed with you? Mrs. Lose was a bit put off about it last night but tonight it seems like she actually likes the idea.

Yep!! 60 lb. Pit mix sleeps in the bed, demands to be covered up next to Schoolmarm!! :wacko::lol:

Our Sailor-dog (sixty pounds of half-Basenji, quarter-Beagle, quarter-Australian Shedder ... I think that admixture is properly called "Fence Jumper") -- Sailor-dog will carefully hop onto the bed, landing where we ain't; he'll nose under the covers, then torpedo down to the foot of the bed and cuddle against whichever set of legs is closest.
Once the alarm clock gets us up, he'll roll over, luxuriating in the empty bunk, just his nose sticking out of his "Sailor Burrito," and he'll groan with pleasure and go back to sleep.

It's a dog's life.

don't have a dog, but the cat sleeps wherever she dang well pleases and yu better not try ta argue wit her...... :blink::blink:

I'm laughing at this, remembering a particular Siamese that decided my belly was the ideal bed.

I think Sugar, the Siamese, had been a ship's ratcatcher in a previous life, and fancied the rise and fall of my flat belly (don't laugh, I used to be skinny ... back when dirt was young and so was I!) -- the rise and fall of my flat belly probably reminded her of a gentle sea's motion.

Either that or she wanted to show she was Queen of the Mountain.

And Charlie howling for a dog biscuit at the drive through window has me grinning as well!

Marlin the Rottweiler has slept on our bed every nite since we were burglarized years ago and she was just a puppy in a crate at the time. After the break in, she never went into the crate again :) All our critters seem to think they are part of OUR when I say this is our bed. LOL

I was raised on the farm and still live on it. We've always had dowgs and none were ever allowed in the house let alone in bed with us. Their job was outside, raising warning of anything strange going on and keeping varmints away from the poultry. I can't remember having one in the cab of truck or car. Cats? Never.

Our 95# Lab was always a bed sleeper; started at the foot each night, but inevitably found him up between us in the morning. He's so arthritis-bound now that he can't jump up in the bed (or the Jeep). We miss him, even though he sleeps on the floor right next to us.

I've heard others say they would never let a dog in the bed, and some would not allow one in the house. To each his own, but I would not be without a dog in the house.

LL

• Like 1

Heck I am lucky they save ME a spot. :)

+10 :D :D :D

After we got married and got our first dog I didn't want him sleeping in the bed. Lost that battle the first night. Knew when I was licked and it has been a nightly occurrence now for 29 years.

Currently have two papillons, until I come to bed they claim my side. One moves as soon as I come into the room. The other demands a good scratching before he will move.

For the most part, they both prefer the bunkhouse bosses side of the bed but occasionally one will lay beside me.

Edited by Sedalia Dave

Owr dowgs were a working part of the farm and sometimes used for hunting. Being a pet or companion was hardly a consideration. In my early memory there was no way to keep them free of ticks and fleas. Later tick and flea collers and other products were available and we put them on them dowgs but the benefit was hardly noticeable, if any. So letting them in the house was inviting parasites in also.

I was raised on the farm and still live on it. We've always had dowgs and none were ever allowed in the house let alone in bed with us. Their job was outside, raising warning of anything strange going on and keeping varmints away from the poultry. I can't remember having one in the cab of truck or car. Cats? Never.

Same here but it seems some younguns out voted me so we had some in the house to my Dads chagrin. Funny, later on he would up with a lap dog too.

Back when we had Dalmatians, Harley, (our male) would poke his nose under the cover at the foot of the bed. He would then squirm, twist, and crawl between me 'n' Schoolmarm, up to the head of the bed. He'd always wind up lying on his back with his head on a pillow, looking back and forth from one of us to the other.

This earned him the nickname, "Weasle" We spelled it wrong on purpose!! :lol::lol::lol:

I'd end up out from under the covers pretty quick!! HE WAS HOT!!! :o:lol:

Owr dowgs were a working part of the farm and sometimes used for hunting. Being a pet or companion was hardly a consideration. In my early memory there was no way to keep them free of ticks and fleas. Later tick and flea collers and other products were available and we put them on them dowgs but the benefit was hardly noticeable, if any. So letting them in the house was inviting parasites in also.

Tick and flea collars aren't very effective IMHO, the liquid like Frontline, Advantage, etc... are much better.

Edited by Yul Lose

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. None of them sleep in our bed when we are in it. My female dog, Maddie, gets on the bed when we aren't home and every morning after I get up up the dogs will jump on the bed with my wife as will our female cat but that is mostly to help her wake up to get them breakfast :lol:

Our dogs never get to sleep in the bed with us, no matter how much they try. The Husky mix snores far too loudly........... She has a bed in the corner that's close enough for her. The cat, we didn't have a choice. He decided he gets to sleep on me and that was the end of it. When it gets really cold, he tunnels under the covers and curls up in the crook of my knee. I usually wake up when I am brushed by his whiskers as he crawls past my back............

Our male JRT is attached to my wife and takes his responsibility as her protector very seriously except when he gets cold he comes over to my side of the bed and wakes me up so he can get under the covers. Then he gets too hot and comes out for a while and then... Well, you know how this story goes.

Our Corgi mix rescue dog sleeps at the foot of the bed.

However when my wife was out of town recently for a week one slept against my back and the other by my stomach. Talk about being warm and toasty.

Edited by Seldom Seen #16162

80+ pound female Black Mouth Curr - she slept on the bed with us until we got a new bed. Now it's too tall for her to jump on. At 11 years old, her arthritis keeps her from doing a whole lot.

I have an old wool blanket on the floor on my side of the bed for her to sleep on now.

Two 90 pound Old English sheepdogs share the king sized bed with my wife and I in winter. We got both of them during the winter, and we keep the house cold at night (58 degrees), so both learned that the warmest spot in the house was snuggled up to us in bed. When warmer weather rolls around, we usually have only one dog in bed with us at a time. One dog will start, and we'll awake to find the other one in bed in the morning. They both have "their spot" on the bed. One chooses to sleep by my wife's feet. The other sleeps between us (fortunately, he doesn't expect to share a pillow).

My wife and I are on our 2nd set of Mini Schnauzers. They both sleep on the bed. The female at the head of the bed between the headboard and our pillows; the male at the end of the bed between our legs. They like it when I'm away because then they sleep on my side of the bed.

Yep, all three of them.

Heck I am lucky they save ME a spot. :)

Feeling a little deprived to have only 3 aussies in bed with us now. (though one usually gets hot and leaves around midnight)

Lived in a 5th wheel trailer for a couple years with FOUR on the bed and another on the floor next to it.

Regards

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Gateway Kid