SASS Wire Forum

9mm powder etc

My son's finally ready to start reloading for his 9mm cause his kid is starting to shoot it as well. So I have been asked to supply components for Christmas. Since I don't reload 9mm myself (yet) I was hoping for some input on choice of powders to use (or not), primers, bullet weight etc. I checked Hodgdons site and see that Universal, Clays, Titegroup, W231, and WSF show up a lot across bullet weights. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I reload for the 9mm but I must admit my component testing has been limited.

But, of the powders I have tried, I REALLY like CLEAN SHOT. I buy my supplies from Scarlett Darlin, who owns 'Clarks bullets by Scarlett'.

I also use her 124 gr. lead bullets and Berry's plated bullets in the 115 gr weight.

Hope this helps a little.

..........Widder

I like Titegroup for plated or jacketed. It seems to burn too hot for cast bullets, causing some problems.

However, Universal works great for cast lead bullets.

I stock both.

My son's finally ready to start reloading for his 9mm cause his kid is starting to shoot it as well. So I have been asked to supply components for Christmas. Since I don't reload 9mm myself (yet) I was hoping for some input on choice of powders to use (or not), primers, bullet weight etc. I checked Hodgdons site and see that Universal, Clays, Titegroup, W231, and WSF show up a lot across bullet weights. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

9mm, .38 special, .45 ACP - all are loaded with Bullseye. It seems to develop the highest velocities at lower chamber pressures than most

others I've tried. Don't have access to Piezo data anymore, but in the 90's I was seeing data and results that made it my favorite.

I still use it for those calibers.

Shadow Catcher

Unique, Power Pistol or BE-86, all medium speed powders, good for any 9mm load you'd use in an semi-auto pistol. I shoot mostly 115g plated (Xtreme) because of the low cost.

Here is why I like Clean Shot:

In my Chronograph test this past summer, here are my results. Per Wire rules, I can't list my powder charges but they were basically 'good' loads.

My pistol is the SIG P320 with the 4.7" barrel.

Berry's 115 grain plated: (5-shots)

1148, 1150, 1155, 1159, 1161

Avg vel - 1154 deviation in velocity: only 13 fps

Scarlett's 124 grain lead: (10 shots)

1010, 1017, 1019, 1022, 1022, 1024, 1029, 1029, 1035, 1043

Avg vel= 1025 fps deviation in velocity= 26 fps

My Power Pistol results were also VERY satisfying.

Although I listed my actual results, there are some mighty good powder brands listed above that you will be very happy using.

The website listed by YUSTA B will give you some great loading information.

..........Widder (Walking in a WidderWonderLand)

Every year after the World Championships IDPA lists the equipment used as well as the ammunition. Over 50% used Titegroup. It is my go to powder for 9mm. I use a total of 12 different powders to customize my loads for everything from 218 Bee to 50BMG. Other powders work well in 9mm but Titegroup is in my (and most pro shooters) opinion the best.

Clays will work, but the velocities will be low since it is a fast powder and gets the pressure up easily. I have used it but it doesn't work as well in a semi-auto often times.

"Medium speed pistol powders" work best for 9mm. Such as Unique, WW 231, AA #%, AA #7, Universal, etc.

Titegroup is a surprising powder that works well with 9mm, but you may notice a little more recoil and louder bang. But it is worth a try as so many top shooters are happy with it.

And evidently Clean shoot works very well as Widder has shown.

IM me Charlie for load and chronograph data for 231, Unique, Titegroup, and Power Pistol. Coated, lead and jacketed info.

Lots of good info posted.

I prefer a medium pistol powder like: unique, power pistol, Acc#5, Zip, N340, etc. especially with a cast Bullet.

I've recently tested my new 9mm 124gr polymer coated bullets with Unique. I pushed the coated bullet to 1150 fps average. With zero barrel fouling. It worked very well and things stayed clean.

Some folks want one powder for everything. I'm of the belief that different powders work better with different calibers, Bullets and speeds.

Regards,

Ringer

Edited by Lead Ringer

Lots of good info posted.

I prefer a medium pistol powder like: unique, power pistol, Acc#5, Zip, N340, etc. especially with a cast Bullet.

I've recently tested my new 9mm 124gr polymer coated bullets with Unique. I pushed the coated bullet to 1150 fps average. With zero barrel fouling. It worked very well and things stayed clean.

Some folks want one powder for everything. I'm of the belief that different powders work better with different calibers, Bullets and speeds.

Regards,

Ringer

Good post Ringer.

But I have also experienced that some GUNS have a preference for loads, other than my pet loads. Heck, I've got 2 pistols of the same make, caliber and barrel length that give me difference results with my pet load.

The OP of this thread is getting some GREAT info to test in his pistol.

..........Widder

Well, I made a visit to Sportsman warehouse in Flagstaff today to seek out the components. I was surprised how few of the powder choices were available. I selected Titegroup partly based on its lower price than the only other powder. Also got Berrys 115 gr bullets. They had no small pistol primers so I guess I will throw in a few of mine.

I bought some Titegroup specifically to load 9mm (plus Cabelas had it at a very attractive price) but the container is still sealed. I have found Titegroup to make for a "snappier" load in cowboy ammo. I have had good luck with Red Dot and Universal in 9mm but I agree with Widder that Clean Shot is an excellent choice. It meters well and performance has been very consistent.

I like the 124 grain bullets in 9mm, either cast bullets from Clark's Bullets or Berry's plated when I can find the latter on sale.

Scarlett carries Clean Shot and the other Shooters Wirld powders but I have seen them on the shelf at a local store as well.

25 replies, 18 powders. Seems like a pretty forgiving round!

CR

Howby CR.

Pretty much.

Available load data and components are numerous.

And because a lot of Pards own, shoot and reload for the 9mm, a lot of good info is from experience shooters.

Hope You and Yours have a Merry Christmas.

..........Widder