SASS Wire Forum

Louisiana question

Alpo

Book. Fiction. But if it was REAL, would it work?

Girl and boyfriend are in Georgia on a construction job. While there she "took the classes".

She now had a permit and carries, unbeknownst to boyfriend.

But she's a Louisiana resident. Would Louisiana accept a Georgia carry-class cert?

Florida would. All Florida cares about is that you've had SOME kind of training, and know which end the bullet comes out. They accept participation in some type of organized shooting event, in lieu of classroom training, so SASS matches are good. Girl in the book is an Army vet, so she could include a copy of her DD214 showing she had firearms training in Basic, and she'd be good to go. In FLORIDA.

But I don't know about Louisiana. Would they accept an out-of-state class, or is state-sponsored required?

Just how many books a day do you read a day?

"She now had a permit and carries."

Your statement is confusing. You are using a past tense word "had" with current tense word "carries."

If she has a current permit from Georgia she can legally carry in Louisiana.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

However without taking time to research Louisiana Conceal Carry laws she may be required to apply for a Louisiana conceal carry permit within a certain time period when she returns to there as she is a "Louisiana resident" (whatever that means).

State laws vary on the residency issue.

****Update****

I got curious and did some googling. Louisiana allows open carry without a permit. Earlier in 2016 a bill was introduced to allow Conceal Carry without a Permit. So for now your girlfriend can use her Georgia permit to conceal carry in LA. and can Open Carry without a permit.

Edited by Seldom Seen #16162

Seldom, I guess I did not not put it right.

She is La. resident, temporarily in Georgia on a migrant construction job. Took class in Georgia, then went back home to Louisiana and got La. permit using Georgia class training.

Not "Georgia resident with Georgia permit moved to Louisiana".

As to how many - depends on the size, but averages two or three. And I'm often reading several at the same time.

How bout this for a question?

As of 1 Jan 2017 Missouri has no permit requirement for CCW. Anyone that can legally own a gun can carry it concealed.

What kind of reciprocity will we have?

None.

They solved that problem with Alaska. You don't NEED a permit to carry in Alaska. But they still HAVE permits, so you can get one if going to other states that honor it.

Will Missouri still issue permits, even though you won't need one? If so, it would be good in Kansas and Arkansas and Florida (and many others), but if you don't have a permit, how could Arkansas recognize it?

How bout this for a question?

As of 1 Jan 2017 Missouri has no permit requirement for CCW. Anyone that can legally own a gun can carry it concealed.

What kind of reciprocity will we have?

Noz, As I understand it you can still get a MO permit that will have reciprocity in SOME states. I think part of the new law also allows you to get a "lifetime" MO carry permit. IIRC the fee for the lifetime permit is $500.

I don't believe "Constitutional" carry has any reciprocity.

However, that raises other questions I do not know the answer for: Does Constitutional carry allow someone from another state to carry in MO without a permit? Does any state with Constitutional carry allow an out of stater to carry without a permit? Does one state with Constitutional carry allow a person from another state with Constitutional carry to carry concealed without a permit? :wacko::wacko: My guess is no to all of the above, but I don't KNOW.

Angus

Vermont (the first state to not require a permit) lets anyone carry there - resident or not.

According to Handgunlaw.us, Vermont residents can also carry in Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Oklahoma, Maine,

Mississippi, and West (by God) Virginia, just by showing proof that they are a Vermont resident - driver's license or state-issued ID card.

To start with, Georgia don't require any "classes" to get your carry permit. You just got to be a Georgia resident, breathing and have no disqualifying criminal history. No tests, classes or good cause needed.

NOZ,

NO permit the answer is none.

Here in Kansas we have the option of conceal carry within the State with or without a Conceal Carry License. The advantage to not getting a permit is about saving $300.00. :o

However in order to carry outside of the State I have to have a Conceal Carry License.

My wife and I took the Conceal Carry Class at the same time and I got a Conceal Carry License. Shortly after the law in Kansas was changed to allow residents carry without a permit so my wife has never applied for a permit. We travel to Oklahoma and Texas regularly so my Permit is needed.

p.s. Kansas really sticks it to gun owners wanting a C.C.P. But we have been getting the shaft from Governor Brownback for quite a while.

Georgia went up on their carry permits a few years ago. It now costs about $85 for a 5 year permit. It varies about $10 depending on which county Probate Court you go to. Fortunately, us old retired police get it free. Active and retired LE also have nationwide carry rights under Federal Law if you pass the state qualification course every year..